hey guys

so iv decided 2 get into the pedal building scene but before i start orderinghuge orders from smallbearelec etc. i want 2 try a simple build jst 2 c if i can.
now in New Zealand (thats were i live) i jst cant seem 2 get a hold of 1n4001 diodes. i can how ever find heaps of 1n4004's...so my question is. can i replace the 1n4001 with a 1n4004 with out a difference in sound? or much of a diference?

o nd the pedal i am building is this here...
PCB layout: http://www.geocities.com/j4_student/electra2.gif
Schamatic: http://www.geocities.com/j4_student/electra.gif

o and by the way i have found that site very helpful so if there are any other peopple who are interested in getting into pedal building i'd recomend it...http://www.geocities.com/j4_student/beginners.htm
My Gear...

*1967 Flying V Alpine White "Kimberley"
*Squire Bullet Strat "Jess"
*Peavey VK112
*Boss ME-50
*Sh*tty Jap tele copy to become my "hard rock" project esquire ill make a thread soon....
They should work perfectly fine. The 4004s just have a higher peak inverse voltage, but if you are using them as clippers (as you have in your schematic) then they will have the same forward breakover as the 4001s.

Another thing is that you can experiment with different diodes (germanium, LEDs, asymmetrical setups, etc) and get a different sound. Just don't pay too much for diodes, I can get 1N4007s for as cheap as 3 cents in the states for small quantities

Check some of the bigger electronics distributors like Mouser that in most cases have lower prices and cheaper international shipping than some of the smaller places like small bear. Maybe even see whats available in Australia too. But I'm sure shipping is going to be the most expensive part of getting that pedal. I'd probably pick a couple other projects to do and just order a few projects worth of parts (it can be addicting once you get something working).
ok thanx man. yea my plan is eventually to buy parts for several pedals at once because shipping is such a hassel. just as soon as i get a try at it. and ill check out mouser. thanks for the advise

ill get back to ya once i have completed the pedal :P
My Gear...

*Peavey VK112
*Boss ME-50
*Sh*tty Jap tele copy to become my "hard rock" project esquire ill make a thread soon....
Hey man. I live in New Zealand too and am also making pedlaz. At the moment we (Me and a Mate) are only doing overdrive and distortion pedals and a good place to start out is Jaycar. They have everything all though maybe a bit expensive. At least you can try building it then order hoards of goods form aussie or US.
ESP Eclipse-II VTB (With 18v Mod)
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
hey man, yea thats were im planning on buying the parts....but they didnt hav the 1n4001 things...wat projects hav you done with parts from jaycar?
My Gear...

*Peavey VK112
*Boss ME-50