Hi guys!

I want to start soloing, now that I got an electric guitar, but I don't know wich type of music should I start jaming with...

Some people say penatonic scales are the best to start, but then they say that I should start playing along with blues, and it makes me wonder: "if it's blues shouldn't I use a blues scale?"

So can anyone please help me?

(I know this is not an advanced technique, but i don't know where else to put this thread :s)

Another thing: can anyone tell me a good book or something to start learning some music theory?
"Google Images is useless. I used it once to search for a photo of farm equipment and it showed me twenty thousand pictures of horse dicks."
there are plenty of theory, soloing, and scale lessons on this site. just search a key term for lessons. I would go through the theory lesson, taking you through the major scale and its modes. But this probably belongs in Guitar & Bass basics.

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
A blues scale and a minor pentatonic are quite similar.

Basically, learn your major and minor scales (both regular and pentatonic). That should be a decent start.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
Quote by chipmunksurfer
there are plenty of theory, soloing, and scale lessons on this site. just search a key term for lessons. I would go through the theory lesson, taking you through the major scale and its modes. But this probably belongs in Guitar & Bass basics.

so, are there lessons for people with 0 theory?

'cause the only lessons i've had was this group at school, that tought some chords, nothing else.

btw, didn't see that sub-forum, srry
"Google Images is useless. I used it once to search for a photo of farm equipment and it showed me twenty thousand pictures of horse dicks."
the minor pentitonic scale is basicly the same as the blues scale it just has less notes. Blues is a good style to start soloing though because it is pretty easy to play along with a 12 bar blues and it lots of fun.