i was wondering if the minor pentatonic scale is the same shape no matter which note you start on on the 6th string. thank you
A scale should never be seen as a shape or pattern, it's a set of notes and the 'shape' can vary depending on the tuning of a guitar.

To answer your question, yes moving up and down the neck will transpose the scale into different keys but the fingering pattern is the same.
Quote by hazmatac
i was wondering if the minor pentatonic scale is the same shape no matter which note you start on on the 6th string. thank you

I'm assuming you are referring to the root position of the shapes that goes something like this:

e|---------------------------------5--8----------------------------------------|
B|--------------------------5--8-----------------------------------------------|
G|--------------------5--7-----------------------------------------------------|
D|--------------5--7-----------------------------------------------------------|
A|---------5--7----------------------------------------------------------------|
E|---5--8----------------------------------------------------------------------|

Am pentatonic in root

in which the answer is yes, for instance if you wanted to play the F minor pentatonic scale in root position which starts at the first fret of the Low e string, you may play this:

e|---------------------------------1--4----------------------------------------|
B|--------------------------1--4-----------------------------------------------|
G|--------------------1--3-----------------------------------------------------|
D|--------------1--3-----------------------------------------------------------|
A|---------1--3----------------------------------------------------------------|
E|---1--4----------------------------------------------------------------------|

Fm pentatonic in root
Yeah, start on an 6th string A and do the shape. It's A minor pentatonic. start on a 6th string C and do the shape. It's C minor pentatonic.
But there are different shapes of the minor pentatonic though, you'll learn those later...
thanks silvadolla, that's what i thought. on a side note there are 5 different "shapes" for pentatonic scales. aside from the 'minor', does anyone know the other 4 pentatonic shapes AND what they're called? thx
ask and you shall receive

e|---------------------------------0--3----------------------------------------|
B|--------------------------1--3-----------------------------------------------|
G|--------------------0--2-----------------------------------------------------|
D|--------------0--2-----------------------------------------------------------|
A|---------0--3----------------------------------------------------------------|
E|---0--3----------------------------------------------------------------------|
     E G   A  C D  E   G A  C  D   E  G 

e|------------------------------3--5-------------------------------------------|
B|------------------------3--5-------------------------------------------------|
G|------------------2--5-------------------------------------------------------|
D|-------------2--5------------------------------------------------------------|
A|-------3--5------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|--3--5-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
    G  A C  D  E  G A  C  D  E  G  A

e|---------------------------------5--8----------------------------------------|
B|--------------------------5--8-----------------------------------------------|
G|--------------------5--7-----------------------------------------------------|
D|--------------5--7-----------------------------------------------------------|
A|---------5--7----------------------------------------------------------------|
E|---5--8----------------------------------------------------------------------|
     A  C  D  E G  A  C  D  E  G   A  C

e|-------------------------------------8--10-----------------------------------|
B|-----------------------------8--10-------------------------------------------|
G|-----------------------7--9--------------------------------------------------|
D|----------------7--10--------------------------------------------------------|
A|---------7--10---------------------------------------------------------------|
E|--8--10----------------------------------------------------------------------|
    C  D   E  G   A  C   D  E  G  A    C  D

e|-------------------------------------10--12----------------------------------|
B|------------------------------10--13-----------------------------------------|
G|------------------------9--12------------------------------------------------|
D|----------------10--12-------------------------------------------------------|
A|---------10--12--------------------------------------------------------------|
E|-10--12----------------------------------------------------------------------|
   D   E   G   A  C   D   E  G  A   C  D    E

as far as the names of each position, not too sure, i rarely see them labeled besides the root position pattern, this is the A minor pentatonic scale, and as you can see I labeled
each note.
i label the major pentatonic scale shapes with the caged system.

C shape, A shape, G shape, E shape, D shape.........they always go one after another no matter with which one you start with. so with silvadollars post above........it fits perfectly with the C major pentatonic.........first it starts with the C shape ( as well as A minor...)....ends with the D shape then repeats at the 12th fret.

And if you start from the top with the A shape.........thats the A major pent. ashape, then g, e, d.

same with all the other shapes.......This is a really easy way to learn the pentatonics in every key.

And as far as flats and what not go........ if you start with the C shape 1 step lower (starting on the 1st fret instead of an open note) it would be C sharp, or if you did it 1 step higher it would be the B pentatonic. (visual here http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?scch=B&scchnam=Pentatonic+Major&get2=Get&t=0&choice=1 you can see how the shape was moved)

Its much more in depth in the bill edwards books.......but yeah this is what really helped me when i first started learning scales.
Last edited by sifon at Aug 12, 2008,
first of all thank you all who have replied and all who will reply in the future. my real question is what the different pentatonic patterns are called, not what the patterns are. for example, the minor pentatonic scale is still the minor pentatonic scale regardless of what key you start in. i am wondering what the other 4 patterns are called, for example: melodic pentatonic scale or natural pentatonic scale, or major pentatonic scale. again thank you for your help.
Okay, these "Patterns" are just different ways to play the SAME scale. Same notes, intervals, everything. So they are all called (Key here) Minor pentatonic.
Quote by hazmatac
first of all thank you all who have replied and all who will reply in the future. my real question is what the different pentatonic patterns are called, not what the patterns are. for example, the minor pentatonic scale is still the minor pentatonic scale regardless of what key you start in. i am wondering what the other 4 patterns are called, for example: melodic pentatonic scale or natural pentatonic scale, or major pentatonic scale. again thank you for your help.

They're not called anything, or at least nothing that matters. They're all the minor pentatonic scale, they're just all the different places where the notes scale occur.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by silvadolla
I'm assuming you are referring to the root position of the shapes that goes something like this:

Am pentatonic in root

in which the answer is yes, for instance if you wanted to play the F minor pentatonic scale in root position which starts at the first fret of the Low e string, you may play this:

e|---------------------------------1--4----------------------------------------|
B|--------------------------1--4-----------------------------------------------|
G|--------------------1--3-----------------------------------------------------|
D|--------------1--3-----------------------------------------------------------|
A|---------1--3----------------------------------------------------------------|
E|---1--4----------------------------------------------------------------------|

Fm pentatonic in root

I think thats wrong isn't it

A|---------1--4----------------------------------------------------------------|

Something like thats.. sorry if I'm wrong
This works for almost any situation....

Quote by PaulyVengeance
Punch it. Punch it until it goes away.