hi. i want a music man bass. but i am very broke, i saw the olp bass which looks exactly the same as a music man. i havent got to play one. do they sound the same? would buying one for $250 be a good idea? does it sound good? is it a good bass? PLZ GIVE ME FEEDBACK!
Try adding more delay.
i doubt they sound the same, but 250 doesnt seem like a bad deal.
it'd be best to try it out first.
It's ok. But it really doesn't compare to the real thing.

If your really instrested in a Musicman tone for less, you should save up a bit more and look for SUB Stingray.
ok. im still on allowence, i wont be able to get a job for YEARS! now how does ti sound? XD
Try adding more delay.
It has growl but its not a SUB or a Stingray. An OLP is basically a starter bass imho.

Talk to Miss G, she has a very nice SUB and can tell you that you can find them out there for a decent price still in shops and on Ebay. It would be a downgrade from your current Jazz to buy an OLP.
I thought it sounded like treblely P-bass, it had a bit of growl but wasn't real impressive.

It pretty much lacks all of the tonal qualities that made you want a Stingray.
Quote by anarkee
It has growl but its not a SUB or a Stingray. An OLP is basically a starter bass imho.

Talk to Miss G, she has a very nice SUB and can tell you that you can find them out there for a decent price still in shops and on Ebay. It would be a downgrade from your current Jazz to buy an OLP.

XD ty so much. so Miss G?
Try adding more delay.
You are better off spending more to get a quality instrument now, then getting a cheaper one now, and trading it in later. You lose money that way. Ideally, if you are SURE the bass guitar is for you, you should almsot OVER-extend yourself to get the most expensive bass you can.

Musicman Sub basses are FANTASTIC. I saw a 5 string in a shop and played it, they are not far off the Stingray's...and they have the same neck shape and the *exact* same pickup. You can get a sub for about $400-$500 US.

If money is an issue, get a job! Just think, if you are a young person and passionate about music, then you will be determined to be as good a worker as you can. i worked with a 15 year old kid once, who worked under me in a kitchen, and he told me he took the job to save up for a drum kit. And sure enough, when he had put in enough hours over about 4 weeks, he had enough for the drums, and he quit! He saved up every dollar he made for his drums, and I bet he appreciated them that much more.

If you get an OLP bass you are cheating yourself, because the tone is weak. You would be better off looking for another bass, or checking used sales for a decent Fender/Epiphone/Ibanez, etc.
Nothing wrong with OLP's, but you CAN't put your thumb on the pickups So you would have to use a floating thumb technique or something... or grow your fingernails to put in the little hole near the pickups.

ps. are OLP making bongo's soon too? Would love that
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
If you are interested in a SUB but don't fancy one off eBay/want to try one out, there's a shop in London that has quite a few.
EDIT: I just realised you live in America so ignore that^.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by Neo Evil11
Nothing wrong with OLP's, but you CAN't put your thumb on the pickups So you would have to use a floating thumb technique or something... or grow your fingernails to put in the little hole near the pickups.

ps. are OLP making bongo's soon too? Would love that

OLP is not making anything, ever again.
Quote by Captain Insano
OLP is not making anything, ever again.

yeah sent them an email... and then got back they weren't making anything again...

too bad... will not get enough money till I have studied...

so another 6 years (!!!) without the bongo
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
OLPs are garbage imo, the necks are uncomfortable and the sound is lacking low end completely, the bassist in my band has one, He plays my fender jazz now because his OLP crapped out a few months ago.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
OLPs are garbage imo, the necks are uncomfortable and the sound is lacking low end completely, the bassist in my band has one, He plays my fender jazz now because his OLP crapped out a few months ago.

different price ranges
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I found the sound on my old OLP to be lacking... well, a lot of things, it was pretty weak/dull sounding IMO. Their ok for cheap starter basses, but I wouldn't go much further than that and there are plenty of better basses for around the same money.

Also if you are going to buy one get it from a shop, try it out and make sure you buy the one you try because OLP's quality control is almost non existant, my one came complete with a horribly bowed neck and 4 proud frets
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Quote by Neo Evil11
different price ranges

well he said cheap music man copy, and that's what my bass player has.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
ugh, so many mixed reviews!!! @_@ "
they brake fast and suck or its great" and "i love it, never a problem"
grrr....
Try adding more delay.
I played one and didn't like it, the neck didn't feel very good and the sound wasn't anything special either.
As you already have a VM Squier, the best thing would be to not buy an OLP. The tone on an OLP is in the right direction, yes, but if you expect a MM then you will get disappointed. Great budget basses, though. But in my opinion, your current bass is better. And it won't cost you extra.

Maybe get the OLP as a backup bass. Always good to have a backup. And I never complain about having an extra option when messing around with my tone.
Fler Ismaskiner!
The OLP sucks in compaison to your VM. I'd invest that money in a good amp or something.

I really hate OLP's, they sound so bollocks, my RBX270 sounded better.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
my friend has one and i frequently play it and it is an awful bass with an awful tone, go buy yourself some new clothes instead
the OLP bass i tried was horrible, the pickups were basically inside the body, so it was difficult to pluck the bottom string if ur not familiar with the floating thumb technique.
However the SUB bass i tried was alot better, felt alot more comfortable to play, but the tone left alot to be desired for, IMO.
The SUB basses are great, they definitely rival anything in their price range, and they still give the amazing *BOOM* that Stingrays are known for. My ONLY complaint about the SUB, and it's minor, is that the painted neck slows you down a little.

I said in another thread, I had my Fender Jazz on order, and in the meantime, a used SUB5 came in...good thing it wasn't a 4 string, or I would be paying off two basses now!

SUB basses are great. And you are supporting a great company too!
Quote by Anjohl
The SUB basses are great, they definitely rival anything in their price range, and they still give the amazing *BOOM* that Stingrays are known for. My ONLY complaint about the SUB, and it's minor, is that the painted neck slows you down a little.

I said in another thread, I had my Fender Jazz on order, and in the meantime, a used SUB5 came in...good thing it wasn't a 4 string, or I would be paying off two basses now!

SUB basses are great. And you are supporting a great company too!

tbhe company doesn't exist anymore
couldn't they stop after they made a bongo replica?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
My SUB neck doesn't slow me down

Like I said, if you really want the sound of a humbucker your jazz won't satisfy you. Try a OLP out and if YOU think its worth it get it. It wont sound or feel like real stingray or a SUB but that doesn't mean you won't like it. The OLP will most likely get you close to the tone you want.
I bought one used for $165 and i love it.
The tone is nice for the price, brand new its 350 so i got a definite deal.
It's no high price Fender. But they are good for there price.