I've been studying music theory in my own time the past few days (from the great lessons here on UG actually). Mostly because I'm interested in joining a band, and I don't want to appear clueless if I'm told to jam in a certain key. I also want to be able to make my own chords. I'm a bit shady on a few things here and I want to make sure I am grasping this. I have been playing music mindlessly for a while and I really am trying my hardest here, but I know I am going to sound like a newbie, so give me a break please!

1. If I need to figure out the notes in a certain key, can I do so 100% of the time on the major scale? I basically start with that note, and go up two whole steps, up one half step, up three more whole steps, then up another half step? Is this right?
So the key of A would be A - B - C# - D - E - F# - G# - A?
Eb would be Eb - F - G - Ab - Bb - C - D - Eb

2. Let's assume I am constructing a basic major triad chord. Let's say a B chord (lets assume I do not know how to play it already.) I realize I need to use the major scale, so, after looking at my B Major Scale (B - C# - D# - E - F# - G# - A# - B) my basic, triad chord will be B - D# - F#. And if I wanted to make that a minor, would it be B - D - F#? Or B - Db - F#?

Thanks... any advice is appreciated.
The Minor chord would have the flat 3 so it would be B-D-F# You flat the D# to D other than that from what i know you got it down ok.
Quote by GoWithTheFlow
relax man, its not supposed to be complicated and so stressful. its music.

Yep.
or you'll turn into a machine.

I saw 2 kids today at a local shop
and they were talking about "jammin' in this scale" and "naming chords."

Seems like they took music theory way to serious
and turned into soul-less robots
Quote by drewfromutah
1. If I need to figure out the notes in a certain key, can I do so 100% of the time on the major scale? I basically start with that note, and go up two whole steps, up one half step, up three more whole steps, then up another half step? Is this right?
So the key of A would be A - B - C# - D - E - F# - G# - A?
Eb would be Eb - F - G - Ab - Bb - C - D - Eb.

Yeah they are the major scalse. youre right.

Quote by drewfromutah
2. Let's assume I am constructing a basic major triad chord. Let's say a B chord (lets assume I do not know how to play it already.) I realize I need to use the major scale, so, after looking at my B Major Scale (B - C# - D# - E - F# - G# - A# - B) my basic, triad chord will be B - D# - F#. And if I wanted to make that a minor, would it be B - D - F#? Or B - Db - F#?

Thanks... any advice is appreciated.

Minor chords are 1 b3 5 of a major scale. so, in a B major scale, you'd have
B C# D# E F# G# A# B
so,
1 = B
b3= D
5= F#

so in a B minor scale, you'd have B D F# notes.
yes that is correct drew. i assume you understand the formulas and chord spellings then to. e.g. maj scale --> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 min scale --> 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 maj chord --> 1 3 5 min chord --> 1 b3 5. it seems like you are understanding it, so stick with it, it all becomes second nature as long as you apply it to the fretboard. a good exercise is to take all of the intervals that you can think of (1, b2, 2, b3, 3, 4, #4/b5, 5, b6, 6, b7, 7) and play through them from a root note. for example, take C on 6 string 8 fret. to play a b2 you can play the 6 string 9 fret (Db), 5 string 4 fret (Db), 4 string 11 fret (Db), 3 string 6 fret (Db), 2 string 2 fret OR 14 fret (Db), 1 string 9 fret (Db). do that and then run through the rest of the intervals that i listed. it's good practice.

and for GoWiththeFlow and LesZao, music theory isn't stressful. and learning music theory is only stressful if you want it to be. It's like learning a language. Sure, you could learn to imitate the sounds that you hear in order to achieve things, but you have to understand how it works and what it is you are saying to actually begin to form proper sentences that you have in your head.

so stop with all the "music theory kills emotion" nonsense. it's not true and never was. ass
Quote by LesZao
Yep.
or you'll turn into a machine.

I saw 2 kids today at a local shop
and they were talking about "jammin' in this scale" and "naming chords."

Seems like they took music theory way to serious
and turned into soul-less robots

Good God no. Theory doesn't turn you into a "soulless robot"; you just come up with this viewpoint as an excuse to not study theory even though you realize its importance. To the TS, good work so far, looks like you've got a pretty good understanding. The B minor chord would be spelled B D F# since it's based on scale degrees 1 b3 5.
Quote by 20Tigers
I find it peculiar how these views always seem to turn up in the forum dedicated to music theory. If music theory is so useless what the hell are you doing here in the first place?

If it is dedicated to music theory why isnt i called the music theory thread instead of musician talk thread. I think this is a thread for musicians which could cover music theory but also cover other aspects of being a musician. Music theory is not the only thing musicians can talk about. Why do so many assume its only for theory?

He didnt say anything bad about music theory he said if you think of it as laws that cannot be broken you will turn into a robot with no soul. I would have to agree. This does not mean i dont study theory and see its value. Being creative and expiramenting is hard if you look at theory as rules that cannot be broken and that was his point not that knowlage of theory will hurt your creativity.
Quote by /-\liceNChains
If it is dedicated to music theory why isnt i called the music theory thread instead of musician talk thread. I think this is a thread for musicians which could cover music theory but also cover other aspects of being a musician. Music theory is not the only thing musicians can talk about. Why do so many assume its only for theory?

Touché. You are quite right. I'll edit my post.
Si
yeah but... anyone who thought music theory was about 'unbreakable rules' was going to be screwed regardless of what they did... you'd have to pretty much autistic to learn music theory and turn into a worse musician as a result