Hi guys!

I want to start soloing, now that I got an electric guitar, but I don't know wich type of music should I start jaming with...

Some people say penatonic scales are the best to start, but then they say that I should start playing along with blues, and it makes me wonder: "if it's blues shouldn't I use a blues scale?"

So can anyone please help me?

Another thing: can anyone tell me a good book or something to start learning some music theory?
"Google Images is useless. I used it once to search for a photo of farm equipment and it showed me twenty thousand pictures of horse dicks."
someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Blues Scale doesn't necessarily mean you have to play with the blues, plus the blues scale is like the Penatonic Scale just has to extra notes in it, so start and learn how to use the Penatonic Scale, and then move on to the Blues scale, and then other scales.

Edit: oh and for some good lessons, go to the lessons section on UG and search scales, you should get some good lessons there.
Quote by eltyr18
Edit: oh and for some good lessons, go to the lessons section on UG and search scales, you should get some good lessons there.

I did and i came up with lots of terms that I didn't understand because I have no theory learnings

edit: so I rly think a book would be better for me to start learning, can anyone name me a good one? I just need to see if it's for sale in Portugal :s
"Google Images is useless. I used it once to search for a photo of farm equipment and it showed me twenty thousand pictures of horse dicks."
Last edited by EddyPT at Aug 12, 2008,
The blues scale has less of a blues feeling then you can get with Minor Pentatonic in my opinion. The b5 in the blues scale gives it a more evil feel.
Ever check Hal Leonard Books? Theyre pretty good.Just look for the one that your looking for and suits you. I also agree with the posts above you can use the minor Pentantonic and play blues,you don't nescasarily have to use the blues scale to play blues
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]