I've been looking through some shred artists, and I saw some of Rusty Cooley's (sp?) stuff, and I noticed he did a lot of 4 nps stuff. I recently learned the major scale (not the theory behind it, I know what you guys are going to say, I'm working on it) but I took the 3 nps version and transposed it into a 4 nps scale, is this practical? Or am I wasting my time? I've done this with the Harmonic minor and natural minor too, I'm just trying to make sure I'm not wasting my time.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

you cant do 4 notes a string? I cant. guh. its sounds cool man. Petrucci is the only other one i know who can pull of some good 4 notes per string deals
A.K.A. Titanguy
Quote by shredbeyndshred
you cant do 4 notes a string? I cant. guh. its sounds cool man. Petrucci is the only other one i know who can pull of some good 4 notes per string deals

No, no, I CAN. That's what I'm getting at, I was wondering if it had a practical application OUTSIDE of shred, like some JP's stuff I love, but I was more referring to it's practical use.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

whatever you do on your guitar, it cannot be considered as a waste of time......
you learn something....
and the 4nps idea is a good idea....
well 4nps (yes s = string) is good as long as your hand continually shifts positions up the scale, if you do something like this however and just run up the scale

D-----------------------0-2-4-5------
A------------0-2-3-5----------------
E-0-2-3-5---------------------------

you end up repeating the notes (fifth fret and open fret on the A and D strings as exampled here)

depending on what you're doing this obvious may not be the case, but just running the scales like this can give you an undesired effect of doubling notes.
10NPS is better. Though actually, You can do up to 11.

What if you tapped on with the right and crossed your left hand over?
Petrucci is the only other one i know who can pull of some good 4 notes per string deals

Allan Holdsworth destroys both of them in this aspect.
Call me Batman.
I would consider it quite practical. It's good for building finger dexterity and stretching, great for warm ups, and very useful for playing in alternate tunings (if you want more information on this talk to me).

Right, I've noticed the regular 3 nps stuff is MUCH easier after doing the 4 nps stuff.
(will do)

10NPS is better. Though actually, You can do up to 11.

I'm guessing using the thumb?? How exactly would I do that??

well 4nps (yes s = string) is good as long as your hand continually shifts positions up the scale, if you do something like this however and just run up the scale

Code:

D-----------------------0-2-4-5------
A------------0-2-3-5----------------
E-0-2-3-5---------------------------

you end up repeating the notes (fifth fret and open fret on the A and D strings as exampled here)

depending on what you're doing this obvious may not be the case, but just running the scales like this can give you an undesired effect of doubling notes.

I dont do it like that, I know the doubling of notes sounds very awkward, and I dont like that. I do the actual scales, just with four notes per string.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Right, that sounds hard as all hell.

And about that alternate tuning thing you mentioned, what exactly did you mean?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by mdc
I've just been having a crack at this using simple major scale ideas, and it seems a good exercise for getting used to stretching across 2 frets using your pointer and middle....and there's lots of position shifts too (removed).

Sorry guys I had my head up in the clouds on that one, I do that stretch all the time lol! The joys of not havng a guitar when on here screws with your head.

As it turns out I do 4nps all the time - which involves sliding. That's with the left hand only tho. Only occasionally I may hit 6nps by doing the above (in bold), then tap with my pointer and ring.

Quote by TheShred201
Yeah, 10 NPS requires using the thumbs for tapping too. It's easiest if you bring your hand over the top of the neck. However, generally I only do 10 finger stuff on multiple strings, not 10 notes on one.

How do you find the time to do that when in the middle of a solo?
Last edited by mdc at Aug 13, 2008,
Quote by TheShred201
Yeah, 10 NPS requires using the thumbs for tapping too. It's easiest if you bring your hand over the top of the neck. However, generally I only do 10 finger stuff on multiple strings, not 10 notes on one.

That sounds cool do you have any video of 10 finger stuff you play?
Ive have a michael angelo video where he does the hand over the top like you mentioned but i never noticed him using his thumbs for fretting in the video i have.
Haha....if I'm not comfortable doing it in a solo, I'm by no means making a video. The michael angelo batio comment was in reference to how you can find time. I thought you were referring to the switching of hands to over the neck and such.

Valennic, the 4nps uses for alternate tunings that I see are as follows. 1. In some tunings, the intervals between strings are greater. This means that 4nps scales require less position shifts than 3nps scales, which I see as an advantage. 2. With alternate tunings, there are often lots of chords that can be made by a one finger bar. If you are comfortable with 4nps scales, you can use notes from the patterns you'd use here to add extensions to and play melodies over the chords you are playing.
Quote by valennic

I dont do it like that, I know the doubling of notes sounds very awkward, and I dont like that. I do the actual scales, just with four notes per string.

well what i posted was an actual scale (E minor), i'm assuming you meant you shifted up in position to keep from doubling notes when you didn't want to.
^Fair enough I wouldnt make a video of somthing that i didnt have down yet either. I will look on youtube for 10 finger tapping i want to see it done. Not that it would be of any use to me in the next few years lol. I still want to see it though.
Quote by /-\liceNChains
^Fair enough I wouldnt make a video of somthing that i didnt have down yet either. I will look on youtube for 10 finger tapping i want to see it done. Not that it would be of any use to me in the next few years lol. I still want to see it though.

10 finger?

( counts own fingers... I got 4 on each hand and some thumbs)

You all inbreds or something?
you can tap with your thumbs too
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!