Jason Newstead was good in that album.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
Jason Newstead was good in that album.

there's not much bass on the album the engineers turned it down to where you almost can't hear it at all. so Gj for being in defense of Jason but theres not really any bass on the album
i just hope nobody thought i was making fun of jason i was just laughing at the fact that you can barely hear the bass except for in one when it goes into the triplets on the open e
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
He did some amazing bass work with the band, it's too bad he got lost in the mix on that album. The rest of the band have said they wish they coudl remix that album. I wonder are they still game now that my "I only use a pick" is their bassist?
i got that book, even though i hates jason newstead and he was turned down on the album because james and lars knew he wouldnt be as good as Cliff so they got the sound engineers to turn him down
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Quote by Anjohl
He did some amazing bass work with the band, it's too bad he got lost in the mix on that album. The rest of the band have said they wish they coudl remix that album. I wonder are they still game now that my "I only use a pick" is their bassist?

Eh? If that's in reference to Trujillo, you're very wrong.

Quote by TANKER69
i got that book, even though i hates jason newstead and he was turned down on the album because james and lars knew he wouldnt be as good as Cliff so they got the sound engineers to turn him down

That's because James and Lars are dicks. All three (main) Metallica bassists are/were sh*t hot.
Quote by Anjohl

Would that be the same person that played Battery and Whiplash with his fingers when auditioning?

Idiot.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
And is also an extremely talented slap bassist to boot. I personally rate him much higher than Flea in that department.

He is a great bassist and knows how to give a show: perfect for metallica.

BUT we can't say how good he is till we HEAR the new album...
his first contributions!

Apperently he is written a lot for it...

edit: not really hard to be better then flea is it?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
He is a great bassist and knows how to give a show: perfect for metallica.

BUT we can't say how good he is till we HEAR the new album...
his first contributions!

Apperently he is written a lot for it...

edit: not really hard to be better then flea is it?

The edit is true But the point still stands Obviously we can't say how good he is in Metallica until he writes stuff, but it's safe to say, looking back at his career, that he is a very, very talented man.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The edit is true But the point still stands Obviously we can't say how good he is in Metallica until he writes stuff, but it's safe to say, looking back at his career, that he is a very, very talented man.

never listened to any of his earlier work, can you recommend some?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Get a hold of a copy of " The Plague That Makes Your Booty Move...It's the Infectious Grooves".

Listen once and then repeat. Several times.
Quote by anarkee
Get a hold of a copy of " The Plague That Makes Your Booty Move...It's the Infectious Grooves".

Listen once and then repeat. Several times.

k I will listen to this, when I have listened to my new genesis cd

something tells me that it will be a lot different than that
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
never listened to any of his earlier work, can you recommend some?

To get an idea of what he might contribute to the new Metallica, these from Suicidal Tendencies:

You Can't Bring Me Down
Accept My Sacrifice
Lovely
Infectious Grooves kicks ass. I was impressed when I realized that he was the bassist for Metallica as well.
Quote by Neo Evil11
k I will listen to this, when I have listened to my new genesis cd

something tells me that it will be a lot different than that

Which Genesis CD?

Speaking of Genesis how come bass forum hasn't talked/never mentioned Mike Rutherford? He is a s h i t hot bassist aswell.

His bass work in the Genesis song "In The Cage" is some amazing bass playing.

As far as the Rob/Metallica thing goes he fits in there very well musically. He must be adding alot of funk and slap to Metallica's sonic pallette, which kinda sounds weird.
Last edited by Randy Bobandy at Aug 12, 2008,
Quote by Deliriumbassist

well on metallica's myspace there is one new track 'cyanide' which features rob trujillo on bass.

xx
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by Randy Bobandy

Speaking of Genesis how come bass forum hasn't talked/never mentioned Mike Rutherford? He is a s h i t hot bassist aswell.

I agree. While I do prefer early Genesis, his work in "No reply at all" (Abacab) is one of the main reasons I picked up a bass.

I honestly can't imagine Metallica with a prominent slap bass sound.
I don't imagine that Zon being played with a pick would sound very good...at least not compared to the finger tone.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Randy Bobandy
Which Genesis CD?

As far as the Rob/Metallica thing goes he fits in there very well musically. He must be adding alot of funk and slap to Metallica's sonic pallette, which kinda sounds weird.

the peter gabriel years which is pre-trespass
all kind of 60's pop songs, really funny... was only 5 euro's

and I agree, mike rutherford has made some killer basssongs
fountain of salmacis (!!), dancing with the moonlith knight, dukes etc.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
the peter gabriel years which is pre-trespass
all kind of 60's pop songs, really funny... was only 5 euro's

and I agree, mike rutherford has made some killer basssongs
fountain of salmacis (!!), dancing with the moonlith knight, dukes etc.

Are you talking about Genesis to Revelation? That was the debut album before Trespass.

Mike had that Rickenbacker double neck bass/12 string guitar he used oh so often back in the Gabriel days. I wonder if it was just a custom shop thing though because I've never seen them anywhere else beside videos of him playing it.