Hey, I'm on a pretty low budget and i need a amp head. I played the crate V33 combo and I loved the sound. I recently acquired a crappy behringer cab for free. i was thinking of purchasing the crate V33 head. Anyone have it?
$344 shipped for the crate V30 3112 on ebay BIN brand new with footswitch.. Most like it better than the V33 I think you may still find a v30 head for $299. Maybe at woodwinds and brass online.
I love love mine.
get v33 head
sell behringer cab
go to avatar
buy a 1x12 or 2x12 cab
???
profit
^ +1 without the ??? profit thing.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I'm considering getting one also. From what I remember, it's got pretty Fendery cleans and a decent enough dirty channel. It's kind of dark. Some complain that it suffers from the dreaded "sounds like a blanket is over the amp" - but I think that has more to do with the cab that you are playing it through. If I buy one in the next few days I'll keep you posted.

Quote by nomadh
$344 shipped for the crate V30 3112 on ebay BIN brand new with footswitch.. Most like it better than the V33 I think you may still find a v30 head for $299. Maybe at woodwinds and brass online.
I love love mine.

They have the Crate V33H for $230 at Geartree I believe the matching cab is only $170.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Aug 12, 2008,
$230 is a very good price if the V33 sounds as good as the V30. I have not heard the V30 yet. Have you guys compared them? Even if not as good there is info on mods to make it similar and I hear the new V33 has a lighter power supply.
I also have a crate Classic 50. The 410 model. I love both amps but the crate is my new baby right now. I find them to be very different. Why you selling the Cl50? Does the crate take its place for you?
I saw a V33 212 combo at GC today for $305. I guess these stores are just clearing them out. They used to have piles of Palominos at my local GC, now the only Crates I see are the SS ones. I don't know what that's all about.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
me neither, i think the palominos are discontinued... which seems dumb so soon after moving their production to vietnam
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by nomadh
$230 is a very good price if the V33 sounds as good as the V30. I have not heard the V30 yet. Have you guys compared them? Even if not as good there is info on mods to make it similar and I hear the new V33 has a lighter power supply.
I also have a crate Classic 50. The 410 model. I love both amps but the crate is my new baby right now. I find them to be very different. Why you selling the Cl50? Does the crate take its place for you?

I have a really nice vintage cab that I wanted to throw a head on I am debating whether I should get a Kustom Coupe instead though. Hmmmmm.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Theres a video on youtube of a technician throwing a V33 about six feet into the air onto concrete, then he picks it up, plugs it in and proceeds to wail.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by FacingUsAll
I have a really nice vintage cab that I wanted to throw a head on I am debating whether I should get a Kustom Coupe instead though. Hmmmmm.

How about one of these then?
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania

Not low budget to me. I like to keep my tube amps to under $250. Well the bigger ones anyway I did try a tube kustom a few yrs ago and I remember liking it but my ear was 2 generations younger then I'd have to revisit it to see how it stack up agaisnt the peavey classic and crate V.
The real budget answer find a few you like in person. Read reviews to get a feel what may be similar then follow craigslist and chase anything promising down. If you like the crate at lesser gain you may really dig the peavey classic 30 or 50. If it was the bare min of gain for you then also try a windsor studio or Valveking.
And its ok to get an amp and outgrow it in a year or 2 as long as you get it at a price you can sell it at later. Can't complain about cheap or free amp rent.
Quote by slatsmania

That's definitely a possibility.

I think I'd want to get the '36 2x10 though because my cab is a 2x15 and I think the combination of those 4 speakers would sound spiffy.

Quote by utsapp89
Quote by slatsmania

that's 72watts of pure overkill...

Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by tubetime86
Theres a video on youtube of a technician throwing a V33 about six feet into the air onto concrete, then he picks it up, plugs it in and proceeds to wail.

that's a v50
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120