Page 1 of 2
Hi im thinking of ordering the crate flexwave 120 halfstack...is this a good amp for hardcore metal/metal in general ..i want good distortion and bass...would hooking a pedal up help or not? -thanks!
Last edited by maverick911 at Aug 12, 2008,
you can get a better amp for the money, trust me, such as a bugera combo, or if you're willing to go used a 5150 combo.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
No, it wouldn't work well for you at all.

A used 5150 would work nicely, but if you must buy new than look into a Bugera of some sort.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
that would defeat the point in getting an amp that cost money to have to use a pedal distortion to cover up a crappy tone...
Quote by Ghold125

look at B-52 at's, randall Rg's (50tc) used 5150, Bugera (peavey clones)

there you go
it will sound better than playing through a 15 watt ibanez bass amp with a pedal right?
just do not get the cheap halfstack. it's a trap.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
i really like the tone from the 15 watt bass amp and pedal ....so ill prolly be pleased with the distortion and tone from the crate?
I currently play a crate 120watt half stack for my metal band. I bought it cuz it was a cheap half stack and it looked cool. Now that im more experienced I know that it has a terrible tone at high volumes, the distortion channel is terrible, and the clean is mediocre (I use a pedal for distortion now). But if your just starting out I recommend it if your playing by yourself. Do not try to use it for gigs lol.
Quote by Moggan13
Sig it and i'll give you a blowjob
Quote by UnsignedRecords
just do not get the cheap halfstack. it's a trap.

Hey, that's MY line!

Yeah, but why don't you go for a better amp then the crate? Like a Bugera!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
The Flexwaves aren't *that* bad (probably one of the better cheap solid-state halfstacks) but there are definitely better things out there in the price range.

Quote by darkarbiter7
Hey, that's MY line!

I believe it's Admiral Ackbar's line.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
From the way it sounds your just starting out on guitar I wouldnt worry about getting some big "half stack" for 600 bucks you could get a nice used 5150/6505 (thats made by peavey) if you didnt know
"People worry too much about tone instead of just rocking out"
Quote by FacingUsAll

True, but I was the one who usually used it in threads like this.

Oh well.

On the B-52, is the solidstate one or the tube one? I know that the tube ones are nice, but the SS ones are just like those cheap crate flexwaves.
Go for a Bugera or a used Peavey 5150/6505
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
You know how many reveiws there has been with Bugera's either catching on fire, or just stop working after a short period of time?
Quote by maverick911
ok ok! wat about the b-52 LG 100 w?

do you need the half stack?
Quote by caraluzzo
You know how many reveiws there has been with Bugera's either catching on fire, or just stop working after a short period of time?

uhh... 3?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by caraluzzo

Just about everyone that's had a problem has been in the 30 day period. I sent a 6262 combo back because the transformer bolts were coming loose and I got the 333XL head instead.

First thing I did was go through it and make sure everything was snug and soldered. (Sometimes those little Chinese boys and girls miss a few things).
The 333XL feakin' rips. Sounds great everytime I plug in. Started gigging with it about a month ago and it hasn't let me down yet.
It was deffinatly more then 3, because I know more then 3 people alone who've had the same problems.
BeerChurch, glad to hear your amp heads holding up for right now. I didn't say 'EVERY BUGERA CATCHES FIRE', I simply stated that they're known to have alot of problems, and they've only been around for a short period of time. It's not a good thing, and I sure as hell wouldn't wanna spend my money to watch my amp break or catch fire.
TS, do you just want a half stack cause they 'look cool' or do you accually care about how it's going to sound? You should look into a 5150 combo, I highly dought you'll be dissapointed.
Quote by maverick911
i only have 600

we have suggested you amps to look at, and you keep saying the same thing...
are you going to just keeping saying i have 600...and what currency are you using
damn! some people say to get one amp and then other people say that amp is bad so i dont know which one is good.
for the 3rd time:
B-52 At112, Randall RG50tc, Used Peavey 5150
look at them, listen to them, play them.
Page 1 of 2