My band has finally decided to get a demo together, All together we have plenty equipment to record with, the drums might be a little shaky, but besides that i think we are good.

We're thinking about 5 songs on the demo, and then selling them for about 5 dollars a pop.
Theres already a cover ready to be pressed.
But just wondering before we start if there are any tips on getting a good solid drum recording or a good way to get the demo out there.

Honestly i would appreciate anything you guys have to say
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
Mic the whole kit, then mix them individually to get the good drum sound

but once ur demo is all done, ull have to start playing gigs (at pubs is best) because all u need to say is "we just released our demo, please buy one at the end of the night" all the drunken retard are like YAY cd's good

for example by friends band did this THEY SUCK BALLS and at ten bucks a pop, they sold 60/80 cds that night, then thorugh out the week sold the rest
Quote by leftybassdude
a good way to get the demo out there.

Take advantage of the internet, Youtube, Myspace, Garageband, etc. Also try looking around for some independent labels and send them your demos.

EDIT: This might be helpful http://bandmix.com/independent-labels/
Last edited by pwrmax at Aug 12, 2008,
Quote by reallywantagibs
What method are you using to record? Mixers? Fire wire? standalone recorders? PC input?

were going to plug into the mixer and from there into logic express on our drummers macbook
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
Get as many mics on the drums as you can, and make sure each one goes to its own track on the recorder. For our CD, we had 7 drum tracks:
-kick
-snare
-center toms
-floor tom
-2 overheads
-hats

When we do another CD, I'm going to take the mic off the hats (you almost never need a hat mic, really) and mic each of the toms individually.

Gigging is a good way to get out there. It really is a must. However, only the people at your gig will get to hear about you, aside from whatever posters/fliers you put up. Get media attention. WAY more bang for the buck, and if you're releasing something - even if it is only a demo - you have something to talk about.

Here's where we have been successful in getting media:
-campus radio
-net zines
-local entertainment magazine
-community television

Once you start beating around those sources, you might be able to jump on:
-commercial radio indie hour shows (forget about even semi-regular rotation unless you at least have a distro deal w/ a major label)
-network TV (community entertainment spotlights, etc.)
-playing festival gigs. The beauty of those is that there are already tons of people there, so all you really have to do is show up and play. However, if you are playing a festival show, media is more willing to talk to you than if you are just doing a club show.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.