The amp i am lookin at come in a head version (obviously with your choice of any cabinet (thats not what i am asking here)) or a combo, i was thinking about buying the head but i dont think its really neccessary, so does it give a better sound at all? i mean if i used to same speakers that came in the combo version?
My DeviantArt

Gear;

Vox AC50CPH
Framus FR 212 CB
Ibanez AF105
Ibanez RGT32FMSP
Line 6 DL4

If you have a camera or photography related question, i can help.

Quote by TooFast
I'd fuck the shit out of that dude.
well a head is just a Pre amp and a Power amp, the only differnce between a Head/Cab and a Combo is that the combo has the speaker built in.
But the advantage of a Head/cab can be more advantages of cabs you can use.
heads typically have a lot more head room too
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
I think a seperate closed cab is generaly better. The wood makes a lot more difference that people think.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
depends on a couple things, and it's really only preference. Sometimes the head is more wattage, which can sound punchier and tighter with the bigger output transformers. There is also the question of closed back versus open back designs, where most combos are open back due to heat concerns. A closed back will give you a tighter bass response.

The real advantage of a head is the ability to change cabs on the fly. Different cabs and speakers can have a dramatic affect on the sound.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
depends on a couple things, and it's really only preference. Sometimes the head is more wattage, which can sound punchier and tighter with the bigger output transformers. There is also the question of closed back versus open back designs, where most combos are open back due to heat concerns. A closed back will give you a tighter bass response.

The real advantage of a head is the ability to change cabs on the fly. Different cabs and speakers can have a dramatic affect on the sound.

troof
Consider portability in your debate. Combos are easier to travel around with than a head/cab rig. If you happen to have an '81 Honda, the combo might be the way to go.
My Gear:
Godin BG V and BG IV
GK 1001RB w/ 4x10 RBH
Palatino Upright
Ibanez Talman Artcore
Godin LG
Washburn Acoustic
Godin Classical
Traynor YCV80

lol^ no, i dont =P, i dont want to compromise quality for portablility, i dont want to buy nother amp for a long time lol/.

does the wood thickness of a cab make a noticable difference?

for example, something like the Framus CS212 is a 17mm thick wood, with an adjustable back (as in you can make it a closed, 3/4,1/2 or open back and keep changing it)

and the Orange PPc212 which is a thicker wood and a closed back from memory, apart from bass response does thicker wood = better tone?
My DeviantArt

Gear;

Vox AC50CPH
Framus FR 212 CB
Ibanez AF105
Ibanez RGT32FMSP
Line 6 DL4

If you have a camera or photography related question, i can help.

Quote by TooFast
I'd fuck the shit out of that dude.
Last edited by Themitch at Aug 12, 2008,
Quote by musicology
Consider portability in your debate. Combos are easier to travel around with than a head/cab rig. If you happen to have an '81 Honda, the combo might be the way to go.

Actually, I'd rather lug around a head and a 2x12 or 2 2x12s. If you have casters on the 4x12, then its easy to get around, with maybe a little help on staircases, but I don't see why that's a problem
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
heads typically have a lot more head room too

Was this a pun?

If not, this isn't true at all. A combo is generally just the chassis (all the components and circuitry) lifted out of the head cabinet, put into a bigger box with a speaker or speakers. It has nothing to do with headroom.
Quote by Themitch
lol^ no, i dont =P, i dont want to compromise quality for portablility, i dont want to buy nother amp for a long time lol/.

does the wood thickness of a cab make a noticable difference?

for example, something like the Framus CS212 is a 17mm thick wood, with an adjustable back (as in you can make it a closed, 3/4,1/2 or open back and keep changing it)

and the Orange PPc212 which is a thicker wood and a closed back from memory, apart from bass response does thicker wood = better tone?

it's more dependent on the type of wood. Plys can be very thick, while consisting of mostly glues and fillers, while solid wood can be very resonant, but much thinner. They do make excellent plys for cabs however, baltic birch is a very popular one, and it's actual chips of birch, rather than particle board filler. It's not as resonant as hardwood, but sometimes you want the cab to be less resonant. The thickness of the ply can have an affect however, generally the thicker plys, assuming the same kind of voidless baltic birch, will be higher quality and produce a better sound. That can be marginal however.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I like heads alot more than combos usually, i think its the added bass you get from more than one speaker.
bugera 333xl (for sale)
B-52 4x12 cab
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Schecter c-1 FR prototype (for sale)
Squier strat

VOTE FOR MY BAND TO PLAY WARPED TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.battleofthebands/darkestbeforedawn
Quote by guitarbite.fire
I like heads alot more than combos usually, i think its the added bass you get from more than one speaker.

...but a combo can also have more than one speaker.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Quote by Erock503

+1

Best post in the thread; Erock503 knows what he's talking about.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
I'd much rather lug around a 40ish pound head and 65ish 4x12 than a big hulking combo that weighs close to 100.