Is this possible? I play guitar normally, but I want to start playing bass also so I can record on my own. However, I can probably only afford a guitar, not an amp (I have about $200 New Zealand dollars, which will get you a low end bass but nothing more) so can I use my guitar amp and play a bass through that?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
No, you shouldn't do that. Most guitar amps can't handle the low frequencies that a bass produces and you will probably blow your speakers.
You might blow up the amps speaker its not made for the low end sound. To be honest I know nothing about New Zealand but in American dollars you can get a cheap esque bass package. You might want to look in an octave pedal, it makes a guitar sound like a bass (Jack White used it on Seven Nation Army) but before following my advice get someone else to verify.
or you could just put a bass speaker in your guitar amp. it will sound like absolute shit but it will not destroy it.

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
I can't afford a decent octave pedal. Over here the cheapest bass package I can find is $350.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by Anjohl
Can you do the reverse? IE, can you play a guitar through a bass amp?

It's been done forever, way back to Buddy Holly and Eddie Cochrane.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
You could play the bass through a guitar amp, just keep it at a really low volume and there won't be too much of a danger. It would be best to find a bass amp though.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
be careful or you'll most likely blow the speaker
guitar through bass amp=YEYAH!!!
bass through guitar amp=WHAT THE F*CK, ITS BROKE?!
you can, just dont crank it, and you might want to keep the bass on the amp low, be prepared to possibly ruin the amp though
Brigardier of the Seven String E.R.G. Legion
Fiddles
Ibby RG7321 lundgren M7 bridge, blaze7 neck
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Dont hold me to this but I play my bass through a guitar combo and it sounds fine, well at least better than my crappy practise amp (which funnily enough I play normal guitar through...)
Quote by Spaz91
Dont hold me to this but I play my bass through a guitar combo and it sounds fine, well at least better than my crappy practise amp (which funnily enough I play normal guitar through...)

Give it a month or so and say bye to your cab
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Weird. Guitarists with fantastic tone do that, like Adam Jones of Tool.

i am just speaking rfom personal expirience on that. and it was a $230 speaker that i put into a $450 1x12 amp. so idk.

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
Whatever you do, DO NOT PLAY BASS THROUGH A GUITAR AMP! There's a reason there are bass amps and speakers, its because they're designed for bass frequencies. At some point the time will come when it blows out or worse.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.