I know it's another 'which guitar should I buy' thread, but all of the other one's I've seen are for different specifications.

Ignoring the price range at the moment, I just want to know which seven string would be the best according to the things I'm looking for:

I play a Jackson Warrior at the moment, which has a more slender neck compared to other guitars I've played, and it's what I've become accustomed to playing. I was looking at people talking about the Loomis signature Schechter models, but apparently they have very wide necks which is something to look out for. Is this on all of the models or just some?

I'm used to playing metal, but that doesn't mean I don't want any versatility at all. So something with a tonal knob. Not too fussed about a 5-way selector, but a couple of decent stock pickups would be good because I've attempted to customize before and failed miserably.

I had a look at the Vai Ibanez models as well, but upon reading reviews it seems that the high price is to due with reputation rather than quality, and there are some strange humming noises and crap hardware and stuff. I don't know if this is the case, just what I read.

If anyone who has a seven string could advise me on a high quality one with most of the specifications I've said and maybe answer some of my queries it would be very helpful. None of the guitar shops I've been to have sold seven strings, meaning I'm pretty ignorant about it.

Thanks for any help
i played an ibanez 7 string ( dont remember what model) but it had a thiner neck the the schecter 7 i have played.
bugera 333xl (for sale)
B-52 4x12 cab
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Schecter c-1 FR prototype (for sale)
Squier strat

VOTE FOR MY BAND TO PLAY WARPED TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.battleofthebands/darkestbeforedawn
I actually really liked the Epiphone Les Paul Custom 7-String that I played.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Given your expectations... The Loomis Schecter would do you well. For a much cheaper price, the Schecter Blackjack 7 is also excellent, though that neck isn't sanded maple like the Loomis Signature, unfortunately.

I know you said that you like thinner necks, but really, a wee bit of playing will get you used to that thicker neck. If you've heard Loomis play, you know he doesn't have even the slightest bit of trouble with it.

I own and play a Hellraiser 7, and the EMG pickups(same models in the Loomis) are certainly not limited in tone. I rarely even the use the thing for metal, anymore. It responds very nicely to jazz with the tone rolled off and the neck pick-up selected, and rock is a given with that guitar.

Hope this helps.
Member #3 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club.
Quote by TheShred201
Since we are disregarding price range, might I ask where you live? Custom luthiers routinely make MUCH nicer guitars than the typical ones you will see on the market.

ok maybe that would be slightly too high for me to even consider. That would be going into the thousands. I live in London, so even the best quality commercially made guitars rarely go over the £1000 ($2000) price range. My warrior cost about $1200 but I got it second hand so it was quite a bit cheaper. What sort of price would you say a custom made guitar would be? Does the price alter depending on the specifications you give?
I just had a look at the Dean Rusty Cooley Signature R67G. I'm sure it's ridiculously expensive, but has anyone got an opinion on this?

If you look up the march 2008 'Betcha Can't play this' video, he talks about the specialties about the guitar before he plays it, but is he just hyping it up because it's his signature model?
Quote by Jmz123
ok maybe that would be slightly too high for me to even consider. That would be going into the thousands. I live in London, so even the best quality commercially made guitars rarely go over the £1000 ($2000) price range. My warrior cost about $1200 but I got it second hand so it was quite a bit cheaper. What sort of price would you say a custom made guitar would be? Does the price alter depending on the specifications you give?

Yes lol. Customs ussually go from $3200 and higher, all depending on what the specs are.
Best production model, EBMM BFR JP7 fully loaded IMO. Then you have your custom shops like Blackmachine, Sherman, Ran, Bernie Rico and numerous others.
From the ones I've played I suggest the ESP LTD Carpenter 607, the neck is quite thin and the EMGs give it a great tone especially on the low b and the shape is quite comfortable too. Right now the only model produced is the baritone version but having played both I didn't feel much change, though I'm sure you can still find a non baritone version. The only problem it might have for you is the lack of a tremolo and as a price it should be around 1000 $. If you need a trem a similar guitar that performs well could be the Schecter Loomis. I would also suggest you to look around for BC Rich ones (Warlocks and Mockingbirds), they are no longer in production but are not too hard to find especially on ads or ebay, I have a warlock and it performs great even with stock pickups and you could find them used even as low as 250/300$, only problem could be the shape but since you play a Warrior I don't think it might cause you any trouble.
Guitars:

Ibanez SZ320
Ibanez RG450
Ibanez SC620
Bc Rich Warlock 7 String
ESP LTD SC-607

FX:

Digitech Whammy 4
Line 6 PodXT Live

Amp:

Line 6 Flextone 2
Quote by Jmz123

I had a look at the Vai Ibanez models as well, but upon reading reviews it seems that the high price is to due with reputation rather than quality, and there are some strange humming noises and crap hardware and stuff. I don't know if this is the case, just what I read.

The day a MIJ Universe has bad hardware is the day when Steve Vai stops using fans on stage.
if you have a warrior, I would suggest the ibanez xiphos 7 string as the shape is very similer, and it has a thinner neck than the shecters and dimazio d-activator pickups.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
i've heard good things about the xiphos 7, though i don't know of any stores that have them. Also i've heard the agile interceptor is great for a low price
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Quote by Jmz123

For that kind of budget you might be able to find a used Universe or you could just get an Ibanez RG1527 for significantly less than your budget. If you shell out a little more you could get an Ibanez APEX-1 which is the Korn signature model but still sounds and plays great from what I've heard and for a few hunder under budget you could get a Xiphos 7.

All of those that I just mentioned should be great guitars.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Schecter Blackjack 7. Solid freaking guitar. I personally can't stand 7 strings but Ive tried most of them. Maybe the one I played was just superior quality out of all thatw ere made though. Then get another amp.
Blackmachine?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by caraluzzo
Yes lol. Customs ussually go from $3200 and higher, all depending on what the specs are.

In the united states, customs range from a little bit under $2000 to about $35,000. (I guess a little under 1000 pounds to about 17,000 pounds. I'm not TOO familiar with european luthiers pricing, so I'd have to do a bit of research before I could suggest one.
If you're intent on going down the custom route it would be a good idea to talk to godofshred; he does really brilliant value custom work.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Shredx
if you have a warrior, I would suggest the ibanez xiphos 7 string as the shape is very similer, and it has a thinner neck than the shecters and dimazio d-activator pickups.

This
Yea my Ibanez Rg1077XLB kills. It's a Baritone with a FR trem, can't beat that. Yet the Agile I hear is cheap, and a baritone.
I paid over $2000 for mine , glad I did.
Quote by TheShred201
In the united states, customs range from a little bit under $2000 to about $35,000. (I guess a little under 1000 pounds to about 17,000 pounds. I'm not TOO familiar with european luthiers pricing, so I'd have to do a bit of research before I could suggest one.

Who builds customs for under 2k?
Ran might be able to do you one for around £1000, but you'd have to wait around a year

i'd look at the ESP 7 strings,
cheap & cherful: http://www.andertons.co.uk/acatalog/info_ESPSC207BLK.html
or the more expensive: http://www.andertons.co.uk/acatalog/info_ESPSC607BBLK.html

you'd be a bit more familiar with this shape: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/75441

or, a bit more saving up, i've heard they are wroth it, but don't quote me: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/74879

though about 8 strings: http://www.andertons.co.uk/acatalog/info_ESPFM408BLK.html - there is a sig model, but you're only paying for the name and tuners
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
+1 on the Xiphos 7. They're great playing and sounding guitars. You said you didn't want to be upgrading pickups, but a swap to a set of Bareknuckles and you'd be laughing.

Massive +'s on the Blackmachine suggestions, though even if they were in budget, you'd have to wait until midway through 2009 to even get on the waiting list.

Also, Gutierrez guitars might be worth a look. With the GBP fairing very nicely against the USD, you could snag yourself a very cheap custom. All reports are that they can hold their own against ESP customs and the like.
Quote by StefanWest
Yea my Ibanez Rg1077XLB kills. It's a Baritone with a FR trem, can't beat that. Yet the Agile I hear is cheap, and a baritone.
I paid over $2000 for mine , glad I did.

sorry for being ignorant, but what's the difference between a regular and a baritone seven string?
If you're looking for a higher range 7, I'd probably shoot for a used EBMM JP7.

Although, if you can push a little more, they're like 2300 new.
Quote by Deep*Kick
why do you need to have ur amp flat bickie in your house if you are just practicing is what i'm wondering? Of course it's bad for every1's hearing

Rig:
Ibanez Xiphos7 w/ Blackouts -or- ESPh307->MXR ZW-44-> Peavey 6505+

7/ERG Legion
good luck finding an EBMM 7 for a reasonable price in the UK i've tried so hard : (