I'm really ignorant about the ways amplifiers' sounds can be heard (e.g. "frequencies"). This could also be just me, but I wanted to see if anyone else had this dilemma and if anybody can explain. I own a Line 6 Spider III 15 combo and I keep it on the floor and I play right in front of it. Although, the speaker is actually below me, since I sit on a stool and it sounds fine. But, when I put it on a stand and face towards the speaker, now that it's right in my face, it doesn't sound as good. I also faced this problem at my friend's house who owns a Line 6 Spider III HD150 half stack: when I face towards the cabinet the sound is very "bit-y" and dull, but when I step to the side or walk to the other side of the room, it sounds great. (I also tried stepping to the side/walking away from my combo and resulted the same.) Is volume an important factor in this issue? Or the size of the rooms? Do tube amps or other amps that are better than Line 6 have this problem?
well as far as i think it is a question of personal preference. personally i think all line 6 and almost all crate amps sound very thin and tinny to me. they all lack a defining thing that gives them a boom so to speak its hard to describe. there are several other factors tho like the acoustics of the room and all that.

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
I don't know man, I am having like the same problem and I have a Mesa Triple Rectifier. It sounds very like high and cold to me when I am in front of it. Of course it could just be a problem with my settings on it, but I've had this same problem with every amp I've owned.
My Gear Brah:
  • Ibanez K7 (silver)
  • Gibson Les Paul Custom (ebony w/ gold hardware)
  • Mesa Triple Rectifier Head
  • Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Traditional Cab
  • Too many pedals to list...

Im always to the side of my amp a little, it seems to cut out the harsh frq's from putting your ear facing the speaker
Quote by guitarisrockin
I don't know man, I am having like the same problem and I have a Mesa Triple Rectifier. It sounds very like high and cold to me when I am in front of it. Of course it could just be a problem with my settings on it, but I've had this same problem with every amp I've owned.

what the hell are your mesa's settings at?!?!?! i have always thought it impossible to get a cold sound out of a triple rec. i seriuously have never been able to get a bad sound out of well any mesa ive ever played.

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
the further from a spider you are, the better it sounds

no rly, speakers project sound in odd ways, thats why you see "U"s taped on the front of amps, so they know where to put the mic to get the right/best tone
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
the further from a spider you are, the better it sounds

like preferrably far enough away that you can't hear it lol... couldn't resist.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
this happens with my amp. it doesn't have anything to do with the actual amp, but the way the room is configured around it. the sound waves bounce around in such a way that it creates different sonic qualities throughout the room.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Maybe you're just a closet reverb freak, lol!

Seriously, though, this is what people mean when they say "ice-picky".

It's part of the way frequencies roll off the cone of a driver.
Although it doesn't sound like it's the problem, be mindful of where your guitar's pickups are. Harmonics could be playing a part in this; even a heavily potted, very stable magnet pickup will pick up high register harmonics when getting a full on blast from a loudspeaker.

Beam blockers are supposed to help this, but I wouldn't go there.
Good concept, but it's not quite built right. Also, too pricey.

Try a donut.
Jay Mitchell is the authority, and he has outlined an excellent DIY article, I will try to dig it up.

I consider it must-have for each and every high power cabinet I use, I think I've put maybe 20 or 30 on a dozen different cabs, and it usually works out to cost about 25 cents a speaker...
Quote by mohawkkidJohn
what the hell are your mesa's settings at?!?!?! i have always thought it impossible to get a cold sound out of a triple rec. i seriuously have never been able to get a bad sound out of well any mesa ive ever played.
then maybe you haven't played enough amps that actually... you know, sound good.
Quote by al112987
then maybe you haven't played enough amps that actually... you know, sound good.

Mesa + (Vintage) Marshall = the king of all amps. Maybe YOU just can't EQ shit.

Anyway, OT, I wouldn't waste your time doing this with the spider but maybe try a weber beam blocker? It might help to spread the tone a little.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
Mesa + (Vintage) Marshall = the king of all amps. Maybe YOU just can't EQ shit.

Anyway, OT, I wouldn't waste your time doing this with the spider but maybe try a weber beam blocker? It might help to spread the tone a little.

I get the feeling you haven't played that many higher end amps. And this thread was necrobumped as hell.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30