Hey everyone.
I've been playing for about 4 years and I'm pretty decent as far as ability, I like to play a wide range of rock styles, everything from Iron maiden to coldplay and everything in between. I play in a metal band and have been using this Ibanez that I would rather not use for the band stuff anymore. I also do a lot of home recording that tends to be more melodic and obscure, and I love expirimenting with effects. I want to use my beginner guitar, an old Les Paul 100, pretty much the cheapest thing you can get from Epiphone. That being said, it is not a bad sounding guitar at all. My dilemma is:
- would it be worth it to invest some money into the Epi, or buy a new guitar. (keep in mind im left handed so guitars tend to cost more for me.)

I would rather work on it as it has some sentimental value to me, but I'm not against doing some major surgery on it. I want to replace the pickups ( 2 humbuckers) but I'm at a loss as far as what to get. I need versatility to be key. Id rather stick with passive ones for the simplicity also. Ive shopped around but I am lost. I want something with a lot of mid to low range, ballsy sound for the bridge and something for the neck from which I can get a distinct, sharp for wailing solo's that wont get lost in the mix, yet also something that sounds decent on clean as I do not strictly play metal. Also, can I mix brands for the two? How do I know what will match? Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated and thanks for your time!

My gear is a randall half stack, and a variety of effects pedals- metal zone, flanger, phaser, chorus, delay, and wah.
For the bridge you might want to look at a DiMarzio Super Distortion, and for the neck I think you'd be interested in a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates or maybe a Duncan Jazz.

The Super Distortion provides ultra high gain, but also glassy cleans. The Pearly Gates/Jazz are also great for cleans and not so high on the gain side, providing a smoother distortion.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Alright thanks, those are both one's I've looked at but were unsure about. I'll do a little more research on those, thanks a lot.
Quote by Raijouta
For the bridge you might want to look at a DiMarzio Super Distortion, and for the neck I think you'd be interested in a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates or maybe a Duncan Jazz.

The Super Distortion provides ultra high gain, but also glassy cleans. The Pearly Gates/Jazz are also great for cleans and not so high on the gain side, providing a smoother distortion.

^this

EDIT: if ur want to really upgrade this thing, also look at new tuners and possibly new electronics (other than the pups, like switch and pots), just judging that its epiphone were talkin about
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Last edited by AngusJimiKeith at Aug 12, 2008,
Quote by Øttər
^^ Don't advertise you fool. *reported*

wait me or the guy above me?????
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Hahaha the guy above you man You are a respected member of this forum.

Even though you're from jersey.

Just kidding man, +1 for springsteen too .
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
^dude. 7th row at giants stadium. dead serious.

and soon as i clicked on that guys link, i saw what u were talkin about...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Cool thats a good idea! Ill probably replace everything I hadn't thought of that before. This project may turn out well afterall. Thanks for your input!
Quote by RATTU
Help stop the lefty discrimination - don't accept that we have to pay more for guitars anymore, sign my petition!

http://www.gopetition.co.uk/online/21030.html

Lefties deserve equal rights

that last line made me laugh! lol
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.