So I've been playing electric for a while, and now my musical tastes have changed a lot and my interest has shifted from electric to acoustic. I don't have that much to spend (from $450-500) and I want something with a good tone and will last me a long time (obviously). Also, I need to get this guitar at guitarcenter (I'm buying it with giftcards, so it can't be done anywhere else).

I've looked there several times and I'm sort of conflicted between guitars I want. I liked the Martin DXJ, but people here are saying that the quality isn't that great for the price you pay, and I want to get a lot of bang for my buck. I've also looked at the Breedlove Atlas AD20 SM and it was a great guitar, I just want more feedback on the quality. Also, I looked at a Taylor Big Baby, but I had some concerns about the bolt-on neck. It seems as though it may not last as long as other guitars and the tone could easily deteriorate over time among other problems.

Any thoughts or feedback about the following guitars would be greatly appreciated. Also, any suggestions on other guitars to look at would be great, as I really want to make this a thorough decision that will last me a long time.
Fender 1989 MIJ Strat (It's from the 80's, so it's gotta be legit!)
Breedlove AC25 SM
I'd advise you look into an Alvarez.

I havn't been playing as much lately as i've converted to bass, so my knowledge has gone down somewhat.

But i got an Alvarez 12 string for my last birthday and it's a great guitar!
They're very good quality guitars which play and sound brilliant. Although you may be looking for a more top end guitar, i would recommend trying onw out just to make sure it's not for you.

Hope i helped a little, if theres anything else just yell out.

Dave.
HI THERE
if you want a guitar that will last you a long time you should buy an all solid top back and sides guitar .. the tone will only improve as it ages ..

look into the masterbilts, breedlove, and alvarez .. they are very nice guitars
take it easy man .. its just a thread
+million for alvarez

alvarez has many great guitars at that price. i was looking to buy an alvarez myself but my GC didnt carry them

but the breedlove is also a great choice. and Martins at that price use HPL instead of wood( correct me if im wrong) so they arent very good
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
I think the seagull s6 is in your price range and it's a great guitar.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Thanks for all of the advice, but unfortunately Guitar Center doesn't carry Alvarez, so I'm going to have to look at alternatives. By the way, I'm just looking for a plain acoustic 6-string (not electric/acoustic) I don't know of I said tht before, but that's what I meant. I have a couple of questions: what does "laminate" mean when they're talking about the top/back/sides? Is that different than a solid top? Is it worse than having a straight up solid top?
The Seagull S6 looks interesting, as does the Breedlove Atlus AD200/SM. Does anyone know about the quality of a bolt-on acoustic (like the Taylor I talked about before)?

Thanks again for all of the advice
Breedlove AC25 SM
I think taylor guitars mostly are bolt on guitars. I could be wrong. I would not recommend buying the baby/big baby taylor guitar though. A friend of mine has one in college. It sounds alright but it's a very poor representation of the brightness that taylors normally have. With 400 dollars you could buy something better than that.

Laminate means they use layers or wood or something and pressurize the wood together. solid pretty much means solid wood. Solid wood will resonate better and therefore give off a better, fuller, less dead sound. It's much better to have a solid top.

After being on the forum a while, I've learned the solid top is generally the most important when it comes to sound, followed by back then sides.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Alright, I've taken your advice on the Taylor Big Baby, and I've looked at more guitars with the knowledge about laminate top, sides, and bottom. I found two guitars that look pretty interesting (both breedloves), but I can't really find the difference betweenthem:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Breedlove-Atlas-Series-AD20-SM-Acoustic-Guitar-103407763-i1147742.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Breedlove-Atlas-Series-AD200-SM-Acoustic-Guitar-512406-i1147740.gc
Now, the AD200/SM is 100$ more than the AD20/SM, but I'm not sure why. The AD20 has a solid top and back, while the AD200 only has a solid top. The only other differences between the two guitars lie in the dot inlays and the finishes (gloss vs. satin).
Can anyone shed some insight as to the quality of the guitars, as it seems like the AD20/SM is a better quality guitar overall and 100$ cheaper.

Thanks again.
Breedlove AC25 SM
Quote by Zer0_In
So I've been playing electric for a while, and now my musical tastes have changed a lot and my interest has shifted from electric to acoustic. I don't have that much to spend (from $450-500) and I want something with a good tone and will last me a long time (obviously). Also, I need to get this guitar at guitarcenter (I'm buying it with giftcards, so it can't be done anywhere else).

I've looked there several times and I'm sort of conflicted between guitars I want. I liked the Martin DXJ, but people here are saying that the quality isn't that great for the price you pay, and I want to get a lot of bang for my buck. I've also looked at the Breedlove Atlas AD20 SM and it was a great guitar, I just want more feedback on the quality. Also, I looked at a Taylor Big Baby, but I had some concerns about the bolt-on neck. It seems as though it may not last as long as other guitars and the tone could easily deteriorate over time among other problems.

Any thoughts or feedback about the following guitars would be greatly appreciated. Also, any suggestions on other guitars to look at would be great, as I really want to make this a thorough decision that will last me a long time.

What style do you play might help with recommendations [?] Are you a pick man? Get a dreadnought. Are you a finger picker? Get an OM size guitar with a 1.8" neck [slightly wider than normal] which will suit both finger picking and strumming.
Like a warm tone? Get a Cedar top or wait 10yrs. until your spruce top develops one.
look into epiphone masterbilt, Ive heard awesome things about them....I think Im getting one some time this year.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
The masterbuilt is a great guitar. Don't get one if your seriously into finger picking. The bass of dreadnoughts is just too boomy. Great for a pick, strumming and bluegrass though!
With guitars it's horses for courses. There is no such thing as the perfect guitar for everything.
Last edited by Akabilk at Aug 13, 2008,
I'm looking to play all styles of music on my acoustic, so I'll probably go for a dreadnought style guitar. I'll definitely look into the Masterbuilt, though I'm worried about the quality because one of my friends has an acoustic Epiphone, but it rarely stays in tune for more than a minute of playing (no exaggeration), so I want to make sure that the Masterbuilt doesn't suffer any of the same problems. Also, the quality of the guitar was pretty subpar in general, as the sound quality seemed average and the overall playability was mediocre.
I'm pretty sure it was this guitar: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-AJ200SR-Advanced-Jumbo-Acoustic-Guitar-482837-i1400663.gc
Breedlove AC25 SM
If you want to play 'all styles' get an OM size not a dreadnought. Tommy Emmanual plays all styles and plays OM size Matons [they really are a guitar size that is great for almost everything except bluegrass I reckon although they do a pretty good job at it [dreadnought for sure I think if that's your bag] which he doesn't play. Anyway your choice. Get what you like is the best bet. When you find out later a dreadnought suits only a few styles [pick strumming and bluegrass mainly], you'll change it unless you are basically a flat-pick strummer or into bluegrass. Then you'll love a dreadnought and should go with it.

Have a listen to these 3 VERY different tunes on Maton OM's by Tommy Emmanual:

Angelina: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhR04kmcSXU [would have sounded terrible on a dreadnought].

Guitar Boogie : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lbvSBNLLoo&feature=related

Classical gass: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX0eTp7SoNU&feature=related

Or, totaly unrelated, a nice blues jam but not a dreadnought to be seen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDsjhJZSlrE&feature=related

All OM guitars but I'd also look at Matins etc. in this size and shape in the US as the good ones are great guitars!

If you can afford one, have look at the Maton BG808 Series [google it]. Wouldn't have a clue as to US prices. There are a few distributors in the US [these are Australian built guitars that supply US Martin with their necks for their expensive models by the way because of our superior maple hard woods].

Worth remembering: "Each player's tone is in their fingers"
Last edited by Akabilk at Aug 13, 2008,
I was at GC a couple days ago - the two that I really liked were the
Masterbilt DR and the Breedlove AD25.
I bought the Breedlove (on sale) - sounds beautiful, looks and plays great, comes with a very nice hardshell case. worth the little extra money IMO.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Breedlove-Atlas-Series-AD25-SR-Plus-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-103407813-i1147737.gc

I think you will be happy with the AD20 ($200 price drop), comes with a gig bag as well.
Well, I want to thank everyone here for their advice, as I took much of it into consideration, and today I just picked up my guitar. This choice was pretty different than anything that I was considering, and here it is:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Breedlove-Atlas-Series-AC25-SM-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-103740908-i1147739.gc

It's a Breedlove Atlas Series AC25/SM. Even though the website lists it for $800, I went to GuitarCenter today looking for a guitar and all of the Breedloves were well out of my price range, including the one I ended up buying. I was dissatisfied with a lot of the options they had, so I decided to ask my manager if anything they had was on sale (even though I thoroughly looked over every guitar). I told him that the breedloves were a primary concern, and he then discovered that it was $599. I played it for a long time and it was by far better than any other guitar I had tried, and when he went to ring it up, the guitar alone came up for $450 total (half of the original guitar center price). It was the last of the guitar they had, and so I immediately snatched it up along with a case.

So, thanks again for everyone's advice. I can answer any questions you have about the guitar if you want.
Breedlove AC25 SM