Hi guys, first post here so be gentle.

I've had a quick read through the guitar/amp stickies in regards to upgrades, so hopefully I won't put you all through too much of the same monotonous rubbish.

I'm currently playing a 7-String Ibanez (which for the life of me I cannot find the model of. I think it's an RG of some description but which one I have no idea), through a Laney Tube Fusion TF200. I've been playing since I was about 16 (I'm 23 now) but had a 2 or 3 year break in the middle. I'm playing rhythm guitar in a band which plays what you would loosely term as nu-metal (in the style of Atreyu/Underoath/IKTPQ/Parkway Drive).

I'm finding that I'm constantly getting a muddy sound from my setup. It sounds fine when I'm playing on my own (it may just be my ears adjusting), but when I play with the band I'm not hearing myself playing through enough (for my liking).

Now to the actual question (finally). When I was perusing the forums initially I had it in my head that I was going to purchase a new guitar to fix this issue, but from what I can gather, most of the tone comes from the amp. I have a Boss Metalzone MT-2 which I haven't used for a while (mainly because I'm trying to strip back to work out where the issue lies).

I have around $1000AU-$1200AU to spend on an upgrade. Should I be looking for a new amp, fiddling with the settings on my current amp, looking for new pedals, or looking for a new guitar? And if I am looking for a new amp, given the price range I'm in and the style I'm looking to play what sort of amps would you guys recomend?

Regards,

Jonas.
What kind of eq setting are you using when you play with your band? If you're scooping you mids, then that may very well be why you cant hear yourself then.
What amp are you currently using? Also the stock pup's on ibanez's are pretty muddy, so that might be contributing to the problem.
A new amp definitely. Check out used amps because being in Australia, we get overcharged for gear. Look for an all-tube amp. I'm not really into high gain stuff so i'll let someone else recommend you an amp, but you will get a much better deal going used. And tube amps are very sturdy so you wont need to worry as much about how reliable it is.
Thanks for the prompt replies guys.

@rokket: I'm using a Laney TF200 which has a setting called 'vibe'. I've been using this which apparently does in fact scoop the mid. I like the sound (in comparison to the others I can get from the amp) but if that's what's cutting my sounds, should I turn it off? Are new pickups likely to significantly get rid of the mud? From what I read, an awesome guitar through a mediocre amp is still going to sound mediocre. I don't think the Laney is a POS but does anyone on here use it, and if so have they found it to be effective?

@littlephil: yeah, I noticed. haha. Is there anywhere in specific I should be looking for used stuff here? I had a look on ebay with the list of amps from the sticky but couldn't find any of the recommended amps on there (and there were a lot).

@caraluzzo: didn't get the message, unless there's some sort of delay or you were in fact writing to someone else

Again, thanks for the help.
When I have played through TF200 it doesn't get muddy, it's very clear sounding (especially when compared to Line 6 Spider's "Recto" setting). But I have to keep the volume at around 5 to 7 (10 is the max). And we don't even play so loud (we have two guitarists in our band). So you would need more watts. I had same kind of issue before (so I couldn't hear my playing) but then I noticed that I have to turn the volume up. But as I said I think your band is louder than mine so more watts is the way to go.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Come on, this thread is from 2008. No bumping threads that are this old. Reported
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Oops I saw the date wrong, thought it was this year.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115