Just started lessons today =D I'm taking lessons at KSQL (San Carlos) till the 18th then I'm going back to Hong Kong to continue. Anyone know roughly how long it will take to complete the PPL?
When I was younger, I had a chance to learn, I was too afraid of heights though. Biggest regret of my life since I love planes.
Good luck
yep rotor and fixed wing time wise it really depends on how much you put into it per day. you could knock it out in 2 weeks or sooner if you could fly and do ground 8hrs a day. And toss out the the minimums for hours to get it because, just about nobody is ready to pass a check ride with like 20 hrs flight time. Feel free to ask me any more questions if you got em Im working on my comercial helicopter rating at the moment got a flight tomorrow.......sweet

Collapsar

PS good luck with that, its f'n awesome just wait till you do some spin training........
Quote by Collapsar
yep rotor and fixed wing time wise it really depends on how much you put into it per day. you could knock it out in 2 weeks or sooner if you could fly and do ground 8hrs a day. And toss out the the minimums for hours to get it because, just about nobody is ready to pass a check ride with like 20 hrs flight time. Feel free to ask me any more questions if you got em Im working on my comercial helicopter rating at the moment got a flight tomorrow.......sweet

Collapsar

PS good luck with that, its f'n awesome just wait till you do some spin training........

sweet, are you going into the aviation industry for a career?
thats the plan anyways hoping to do some firefighting or lifeflight or really anything i can get hired for
Hey TS,
its nice to see another pilot in UG!
like Collapsar said, it really depends on a bunch of things, namely how much time and effort you put into it. Over here in Australia, we start with the basics; effects of controls, climbing and descending. Then you'll start going on "Navs". You'll do about 6 or 7 of these, 4 with an instructor and the other 3 are command or solo, then its your PPL flight test. Build as much command hours as possible before you flight test, because just about nobody will be properly prepared, experience-wise with 20hours or so. It shouldn't take more than 2 weeks if you can get a good 8hours of flying a day. I'm currently doing my ATPLs and jet endorsements and just like Collapsar, got a flight tomorrow, can't wait.
are you planning to make this your career?
Quote by Arism
Hey TS,
its nice to see another pilot in UG!
like Collapsar said, it really depends on a bunch of things, namely how much time and effort you put into it. Over here in Australia, we start with the basics; effects of controls, climbing and descending. Then you'll start going on "Navs". You'll do about 6 or 7 of these, 4 with an instructor and the other 3 are command or solo, then its your PPL flight test. Build as much command hours as possible before you flight test, because just about nobody will be properly prepared, experience-wise with 20hours or so. It shouldn't take more than 2 weeks if you can get a good 8hours of flying a day. I'm currently doing my ATPLs and jet endorsements and just like Collapsar, got a flight tomorrow, can't wait.
are you planning to make this your career?

Nice! You going into commercial aviation then? And yes, I'm certain this is going to be my career. Planning on joining Cathay Pacific's cadet pilot program when I finish school they'll train me up to my ATPL and i'll join the airline as a second officer on either their a340s or 777s
Quote by skidmarks.
Nice! You going into commercial aviation then? And yes, I'm certain this is going to be my career. Planning on joining Cathay Pacific's cadet pilot program when I finish school they'll train me up to my ATPL and i'll join the airline as a second officer on either their a340s or 777s

sweet! cathay is a great airline, i highly recommend them. You'll start on some hectic aircraft, like you said; A340-300s or either 777-200s or 300s. Don't forget, the A330-300 are also great planes. Personally, i'm an airbus man, but if you want pure power, american muscle a.k.a boeing is always best. I'm planning to join Singapore Airlines once i get all my ATPLs and Jet Endorsements done, probably as a Second Officer. If you have any questions or need any tips don't hesitate to ask, us pilots help each other out
I wanted to study aviation, but now its just chem and biology. Kudos to you though.
Quote by Arism
sweet! cathay is a great airline, i highly recommend them. You'll start on some hectic aircraft, like you said; A340-300s or either 777-200s or 300s. Don't forget, the A330-300 are also great planes. Personally, i'm an airbus man, but if you want pure power, american muscle a.k.a boeing is always best. I'm planning to join Singapore Airlines once i get all my ATPLs and Jet Endorsements done, probably as a Second Officer. If you have any questions or need any tips don't hesitate to ask, us pilots help each other out

Your kidding! I was born in singapore! SQ is a tough cookie to crack, you need a uni degree before they will even consider you apparently! As for CX, both my mom and dad work for them, so thats easy plus when i come out of the cadet pilot program I go straight on the long haul fleet, i.e. 773ER and 343.

So you're an airbus man eh? I gotta say, the 333 in CX livery is one of the most beautiful works of art in the modern world! But personally, I'm more of an old timer. Old jets like the 707s, Convair 880s, 732s and 727s really get my attention!