Hey UG, me back again. I've been reading these forums more than a fat kid eat cake! I've read about these "Calluses" that are hardened skin supposed to form on the tip of your fingertips to reduce (hopefully cancel out all) pain when holding chords. I may have been slightly overpracticing the guitar since I got it 3 days ago (about 5 hours a day now, so I can be at least.. over beginner level by school starts 2-3 wks) Exactly how long does it take for calluses to form and how do I know when I form them? Do I wake up one day and once I start playing guitar, my fingertips no longer hurt? or do I have to let them wear in like shoes? Am I just being really impatient, if so, sorry for this topic
Forever feels retarded in MT forum

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
Squier Bullet Stratocaster
-Shopping list-
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
1 guitar cable for that pedal
eh, just practice a lot, eventually it'll stop hurting. that's how it goes. it may take a while.
Keep practicing, your fingers toughen up slowly. One day you'll suddenly realise that it dosen't hurt your fingers anymore
Yep, you will probably get a blister which will hurt like he!! and then it just won't hurt anymore.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Yeah one day it will just stop hurting. I remember when I first started playing a lot I would complain about my fingers all the time. Now I play my acoustic for hours and it doesnt make a difference.
To get them you can dip you finger in hot water (as hot as you can stand) and then quickly put them into cold water and theyll build up faster. then they dont hurt.
It hurt me for the first few days, then it no longer hurt anymore.
After practicing maybe atleast 1n hour a day your finegrs are gonna get used to them.the pain will eventually leave
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]
MXR 10-Band EQ
My fingers aren't really hard, but they the skin if definitely thicker. You CAN get think skin pretty damn quickly. The first day I took playing serious I played for maybe 5 or 6 hours and my hands hurt like hell for two days, then the skin was just thicker and it didn't hurt. I didn't play for the days after that though.

I suggest you stop playing for a day or two, and if you're situation is anything like mine was you should already have calluses in the works, you just need to give your beat up fingers some time to let it repair and get that thick skin on there.
Quote by DivADD
My fingers aren't really hard, but they the skin if definitely thicker. You CAN get think skin pretty damn quickly. The first day I took playing serious I played for maybe 5 or 6 hours and my hands hurt like hell for two days, then the skin was just thicker and it didn't hurt. I didn't play for the days after that though.

I suggest you stop playing for a day or two, and if you're situation is anything like mine was you should already have calluses in the works, you just need to give your beat up fingers some time to let it repair and get that thick skin on there.

Probably this. When I first started it was the same for me. I didnt practice for 3 days cause my fingers were so raw.

Now the only visible calluses I have is on my ring finger. However, the tips of all my other digits are definitley thicker and there is no more finger pain.

Just keep at it. It will come.

I found the best builder for me was chords and slides on the lower strings (thicker strings with the ridges).
Quote by XxDre09xX
Hey UG, me back again. I've been reading these forums more than a fat kid eat cake! I've read about these "Calluses" that are hardened skin supposed to form on the tip of your fingertips to reduce (hopefully cancel out all) pain when holding chords. I may have been slightly overpracticing the guitar since I got it 3 days ago (about 5 hours a day now, so I can be at least.. over beginner level by school starts 2-3 wks) Exactly how long does it take for calluses to form and how do I know when I form them? Do I wake up one day and once I start playing guitar, my fingertips no longer hurt? or do I have to let them wear in like shoes? Am I just being really impatient, if so, sorry for this topic

They form gradually, usually over a number of weeks/months. You need to take breaks in between playing to give your skin a chance to renew itself. Playing 5 hours a day everyday won't nescesarily develop calluses any quicker than playing two days on, one day off, infact they will take longer to form as the skin isn't ggetting a chance to heal fully. Doing alot of bends on the thinest strings (the e and B) on your guitar is probably the quickest way to form calluses as this will cauyse the most temperary damage to your skin and your body will grow in the thicker skin quicker (note to self: "Thicker Skin Quicker" might make a cool name for an album). Gary Moores solo stuff is good for bends on the thin strings, Parisienne Walkways or Still Got The Blues, or you can just do a few exercises up and down the strings bending up 2 steps on each fret position, good for developing your finger strenght too.
Last edited by Stiney at Aug 12, 2008,
I agree with most of what's been said so far. Just keep practicing, but make sure you take a day or two off so that your skin can heal. And yes, you will just one day play guitar and you won't notice it hurting any more. It's wonderful once you get there, but painful on the way, we all know.

Also, don't necessarily expect to be past "beginner level" after just a few weeks. I'm not saying that you won't be. But just realize that it does take time to get good at ANYTHING. my point is, don't get discouraged if you're not where you want to be after a few weeks. Work on a lot of technique while you simply love having a guitar. Once you start to get discouraged, learn how to play along with songs. That's the best way to make guitar fun. Good luck!
Quote by drmichael

Also, don't necessarily expect to be past "beginner level" after just a few weeks. I'm not saying that you won't be. But just realize that it does take time to get good at ANYTHING. my point is, don't get discouraged if you're not where you want to be after a few weeks. Work on a lot of technique while you simply love having a guitar. Once you start to get discouraged, learn how to play along with songs. That's the best way to make guitar fun. Good luck!

Yep, I too am a guitar Noob and am not a young kid that can pick these techniques up quickly and has a lot of time to play during the day. I wouldn't expect to be even an average player until a few years have passed, let a lone a few weeks or months.

Anyway, I guess we are off the callus topic, but it does hurt, but anything worth doing hurts.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212