So I wan't to record my guitar using my PC. Where should I start?
I suppose I need a microphone? What kind of a microphone?
Or do I need a preamp of some sort?
And what kind of software would I need? I assume Audacity would do fine?
I really don't have a clue what to do now.
Any help will appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Quote by stinger12345
It even says "High Quality" in the title, so you KNOW it's quality
Last edited by RoamingConflict at Aug 12, 2008,
Hi.

What you need is a guitar cable and adaptor to plugin to your line-in of your computer. That should do the basics.
For recording I used Kristal Audio Engine.
If you want I can send you a picture of howto connect your guitar to the pc.

Hope that helps.

piangrande
Borders? I've never seen them. But I heard that they exist in the heads of most people. (Thor Heyerdahl)
simple start here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284568

Or here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=751253

Or here:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

All 3 would be best...epically Tweak's Guide

Set a budget. If you are not sure if you will be going into much detail with recording, try to keep the budget around $150 or lower.
If you want high quality and really want to stick with recording look into larger interfaces and hardware.

This chart from Tweak's Guide is nice to look over if you are not sure what type of setup you want:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/rigs.htm
Last edited by moody07747 at Aug 12, 2008,
Ok to record from your PC your gonna need a audio interface as your sound card wasnt built for recording so you want one that connect via USB and has inputs for your guitar. Sometimes they come with bundles like IK Multimedia's Stealth Plug which only costs £50 but comes with a DAW.

A DAW is a digitial audio workstation. You can use a DAW to edit your music with effects you can move riffs around and copy riffs instead of recording it again etc. You do this via its plug ins (which can be updated).

Ok if your recording your gonna need a Dynamic microphone like the Shure SM57 and 58. On top of that your gonna need flat responce speakers as your computer speakers and even your Hi-Fi speakers are designed to boost certain frequencies. Great for albums but not for recording as you cant tell weather you need to increase more low end, for example.

Okay if you have got your tone down and are happy with it whack the micro phone about an inch or so infront of your speaker and hit record. But if you get to the editing stage and dont like your tone you dont want to record again do you? You can re amp it.

Re-amping something is where you DI (direct injection:plug you guitar straight into the recorder without an amp) and then using a amp modelling product such as Line 6 PODxt or Guitar Rig you can select a wide range of sounds for your peice before you edit it.
Quote by Ichimaru
Pics? I can tell if someone has AIDS just by looking.

Quote by xHuffyx
BTW, what's metal and full of holes?

Dimebag Darrell.
Thanks, piangrande, but how would the sound quality turn out? I'm not seeking anything professional, I just need something decent.
Moody07747, I've read your links, and I think that I need some kind of a mixer or a preamp to plug into the line input. The first link states that it would have somewhat "decent" sound quality. So i suppose my guitar would plug straight into the mixer/preamp? If so, then what mixer/preamp should i get? I don't have a budget but I don't want to spend a lot on it.

EDIT: Josola, that StealthPlug looks interesting but it plugs into the usb jack, and mine is broken. I think i should fix it or something.
And i got even more confused now So if I get a preamp then I need to plug my guitar into it? Or do I plug the microphone into it?
Quote by stinger12345
Last edited by RoamingConflict at Aug 12, 2008,
Quote by Josola
Sometimes they come with bundles like IK Multimedia's Stealth Plug which only costs £50 but comes with a DAW.

A DAW is a digitial audio workstation. You can use a DAW to edit your music with effects you can move riffs around and copy riffs instead of recording it again etc. You do this via its plug ins (which can be updated).

Actually a DAW is the actual PC or MAC computer, not the software you work with...the software is the Sequencer...just thought I would clear that up.

Moody07747, I've read your links, and I think that I need some kind of a mixer or a preamp to plug into the line input. The first link states that it would have somewhat "decent" sound quality. So i suppose my guitar would plug straight into the mixer/preamp? If so, then what mixer/preamp should i get? I don't have a budget but I don't want to spend a lot on it.

IMO the best way to go thes days is with an audio interface which links to your computer (or DAW if you wish to call it this..) and also has on board Preamps and proper inputs. These come in USB and Firewire.

Running into your stock sound card will require a preamp and wont give great results but it does work. The think is most mixers and preamps cost around $50 and so you are better off getting a small $100 audio interface at that point.
The interface is a high end sound card made to record. They have on board phanom power, (sometimes), preamps, XLR and instrument inputs, and offer latency free direct monitoring so you c n listen to the other tracks as you record a new part.

A mixer/stock sound card setup will probably run you over $100.
IF you want better quality and dont have much to spend you can get something like the Line6 Toneport USB audio interface or the M-Audio Fast Track USB.

M-Audio has better drivers and works well with Vista if you have that OS, I suggest going with M-Audio but the Toneports do work. The Toneport GX wil work with a mic but you ned an XLR to TRS adapter which runs around $5
Last edited by moody07747 at Aug 12, 2008,
So you say that M-AUDIO Fast Track USB would be the way to go? It has a reasonable price in my country so yeah maybe I'll go with that. But what kind of software would I need if I buy it? It has no tone controls so everything ( EQ'ing ) will be done on PC right? But it looks like I also could record with a microphone, how would it turn out?
Sorry that I'm asking so many questions. I'm really glad for your help.
Quote by stinger12345
it comes with GT Player Express, an amps/FX modeling software so all you need to do is DI a guitar to it for on the fly recording.

To record I dont think it comes with a sequencer program so you can either Download something like Audacity or Reaper and use those.

Reaper is harder to learn but well worth it in the end IMO
OK, I think thats all I need to know. Thanks once more.
Quote by stinger12345