Hey
I'm a complete novice when it comes to valves (hence why i went for a hybrid amp rather that full valve). I bought this amp used, about 4 years old. Would i need to change any of the valves. I looked online and it apparantly has 2 ECC83/12AX7 valves.
Any help?
Quote by time_for_food
Hey
I'm a complete novice when it comes to valves (hence why i went for a hybrid amp rather that full valve). I bought this amp used, about 4 years old. Would i need to change any of the valves. I looked online and it apparantly has 2 ECC83/12AX7 valves.
Any help?

I have the same amp and as far as I know the valves are in the power amp section so they dont need replaced for a very long time.

Pre-amp valves are the ones that need changing more often.

If you were to get new ones Sovtek ones are good, or so I hear. I've never changed them personally.

PSN ID: ArranP
pre-amp valves dont need to be replaced as often as power (i think)

But i suppose after four years...

They might not NEED to be replaced but it might freshen the amp up, help with tone a bit.

If u have the cash spare, go for it

Quote by apmaman
I have the same amp and as far as I know the valves are in the power amp section so they dont need replaced for a very long time.

Pre-amp valves are the ones that need changing more often.

If you were to get new ones Sovtek ones are good, or so I hear. I've never changed them personally.

^^^^^
This man is wrong.
Might as well buy a new set, because virtually every brand owns the f--k out of the EH Sovtek stock valves. The EH has a 'balanced' tone, but it has a low output and sounds sterile.

Check out Watford Valves, their HARMA ECC83/STR retain the tonal quality, but improve the sound and output. That's the one I prefered best. I have no idea where it's made though.

Fender do a 12AX7 (this is also a sovtek) model in a little red box which sounds a bit more "compressed" than the EH. It's warmer than the EH.

JJ do an ECC83, which I believe is based on the TESLA schematic. That sounds pretty cool, and has a slightly glassy quality, but you lose ALL the presence, which is most noticable in the RECTO (which sounds like you have the guitar tone rolled off). It's also a little bit warmer than the EH.

Those are the ones I've gone through to date. I liked the watford valve best.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Might as well buy a new set, because virtually every brand owns the f--k out of the EH Sovtek stock valves. The EH has a 'balanced' tone, but it has a low output and sounds sterile.

Check out Watford Valves, their HARMA ECC83/STR retain the tonal quality, but improve the sound and output. That's the one I prefered best. I have no idea where it's made though.

Fender do a 12AX7 (this is also a sovtek) model in a little red box which sounds a bit more "compressed" than the EH. It's warmer than the EH.

JJ do an ECC83, which I believe is based on the TESLA schematic. That sounds pretty cool, and has a slightly glassy quality, but you lose ALL the presence, which is most noticable in the RECTO (which sounds like you have the guitar tone rolled off). It's also a little bit warmer than the EH.

The [NEWer - as they recently changed how they make them] Electro-Harmonix valves are different from the Sovtek ones (made by same umbrella company, but EH make different, and better, valves then the Sovtek ones - you can even look at them and notice that they're different).
And my Electro-Harmonix 12ax7 works wonders. Improved gain (much smoother then before, sound better too), and general better sound.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Aug 12, 2008,
Quote by BrianApocalypse

I think ill give those watford valves a go. I need 2 right? And where do i get them from?
Quote by time_for_food
I think ill give those watford valves a go. I need 2 right? And where do i get them from?

www.watfordvalves.com I think.

I don't know how many you need for a 120vt, mine, which is a 50 only needs 1.

Take the back off the amp and check.
Quote by Simsimius
The [NEWer - as they recently changed how they make them] Electro-Harmonix valves are different from the Sovtek ones (made by same umbrella company, but EH make different, and better, valves then the Sovtek ones - you can even look at them and notice that they're different).
And my Electro-Harmonix 12ax7 works wonders. Improved gain (much smoother then before, sound better too), and general better sound.

Ooh, I wasn't aware that there was a new lot.

Thank you, I will try and get my hands on one.