So I've been noticing quite a lot of college/university threads up recently, so I'm sure there's someone that can help me. I'm an incoming freshman at the University of Arizona and right now I'm enrolled as a pre-business major (they have one of the better business programs). But, I keep hearing from everybody that I need to something that I love and that will make me happy and not choose something based on what will make me money.

So my dilemma: Do what I know is easy and will make me money or do what I am interested in.

I don't think I'm very talented music-wise, I have only been playing guitar for about a year and a half now, but I do love it. Should I change to a music major? Do I need to be a talented player to even enroll as a music major (I'll definitely get better, but I'm not there yet)? What can I do with it? I just want to study music theory maybe recording and such, but where does that even get me?
Im doing a degree in contemporary music its the most fun i've had learning my entire life
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
These people are crazy. University is hellish expensive so what's wrong with doing something that will make you money? You do have to be careful that you don't ruin something that you enjoy as a pass-time by making it your career. That being said, if you absolutely loathe business studies then yes you may wish to reconsider.
tbh
no one really knows what they want to do at our age

i dont actually know how old you are

but to know EXACTLY what you want to do at the age of 18/19 isnt all THAT common

i started out doing illustration and i know thats not for me, so im going back to university to study travel Photograpy

did you read up about your course before you applied?
BEAT IT, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN YOU DIRTY C***!-Mel Gimpsuit
I don't loathe business studies I just think I have better alternative. Maybe pursue music as a minor?

Edit: And I know nothing about the music course.
well you could get on their website and find the course and read up about it

on my universities website it broke down the course into the different years and explained what you would be doing in each year
BEAT IT, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN YOU DIRTY C***!-Mel Gimpsuit
Quote by Gigatiran
What do you plan on doing with said degree?
i don't know Im doing a paper called professional practise which teaches you how to be a session musician so thats one option or I might look into audio engineering working in a studio or something and Im starting to give private guitar lessons next year which is a surprisingly good way to make money. There are way more options out there then most people think when it comes to careers in the music biz. And if all that fails I could easily get a job as a high school music teacher *shudders*
'08 Gretsch White Falcon

A bunch of funky pedals

I looked it up and the only degree I can pursue without an audition is: Bachelor of Arts – Music (Concentration in Integrated Studies or Theory/History/Criticism)

I don't even know what that is.

I did look it up and my academic adviser's name would be Eric Johnson, that's a good sign lol.
Last edited by Gigatiran at Aug 12, 2008,
Quote by Gigatiran
I looked it up and the only degree I can pursue without an audition is: Bachelor of Arts – Music (Concentration in Integrated Studies or Theory/History/Criticism)

I don't even know what that is.

I did look it up and my academic adviser's name would be Eric Johnson, that's a good sign lol.

Theory/History/Criticism would most likely be a course in musicology, which is just the more academic side of music; you'll be analysing, studying, and criticising music in the way you've probably already done with literature at high school.
yeah see I had to audition for mine that sounds like studying and analysing music from a theory and history based viewpoint, not everyone's cup of tea, but if you're keen check it out and ask someone for a little more info anyway. You could always audition anyway, you never know you might get it. My audition went horribly but I still got in. My playing has improved more in my first year at uni then probably about 2 and a half years learning from the best teacher in my city because you have to practise heaps an be real disciplined
'08 Gretsch White Falcon

A bunch of funky pedals

Would it be a viable option just to get my general studies out of the way and apply in say two years?

I know the pit isn't the best place to look for advice, but this is keeping me up right now.