Poll: Are people born inherently...
Poll Options
View poll results: Are people born inherently...
Good?
16 13%
Bad?
20 16%
Neutral?
92 72%
Voters: 128.
Page 1 of 2
Just asking what the Pit thinks...
Are people inherently good? Or are they all assholes? Or is everyone born neutral and they make their own path?
Good and bad are subjective.
People are neither, they are just people.
Theres no such thing as a "good" person or a "bad" person.
At least not factually.
It can be your opinion though.
I <3 Drugs.

The universe works on a math equation-
That never even ever really ends in the end-
Infinity spirals out creation.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
i think it depends on how you were raised. it's when you're a child , that people can influence you the most
Good and Bad are relative perspectives. Specify which traits you perceive as evil and good then perhaps people can answer more accurately?
I an't say that people can be 'good' or 'bad', but the majority of them are certainly very selfish.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
i think everyones born neutral and then they make their own path through life
BEAT IT, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN YOU DIRTY C***!-Mel Gimpsuit
good and bad doesn't exist, a person who you think is bad probably thinks of himself as a good person, there's 2 sides to every story.
Theres no way of really knowing. When your born your not really a "Person". You have no thought process, no emotions, nothing inherantly "good" or "bad". But Imediately you are being taught and influenced by people. In its purest form, a "Person" would be an androgenous 25 year old of non-specific parentage with no pre-conceived ideas, experiences, or emotional attachments, but with infinite knowledge- for the purpose of the argument. To see this person react to all sorts of situations would show whether they were inherantly "good" or "bad"

EDIT: as said above good and bad are relative and have no actual meaning or substance and are therefore unquantifiable
Bad. Ultimately everyone is in it for their own good but tbh that's natural
The human race as it currently is is a massively negative influence on this beautiful planet. With the exception of certain indigenous(sp?)peoples, I'd say we are all bad, a disease so to speak afflicting the planet and it's inhabitants(non-human), so I'd say we are inherently bad generally as a race.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
I am not a woman as I currently claim

Quote by Rabid
I am actually a woman, unlike Frenchy
People can change their minds at any given time, so I'd say neutral.
Quote by Sunny Afternoon
Intelligence and experience build the house your mind must live in.

Wow. What a quote.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
You have just brought up the John Locke vs. Thomas Hobbes debate. Look them both up.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
People aren't good or bad. People have their own priorities and preferences at the front of their mind. I think we can all recognise this in the "transformation" of Anakin Skywalker to Darth Vader in Star Wars.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by Ez0ph
At least not factually.

Sounds like a winner right here.
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
Quote by Ez0ph
At least not factually.

Is that how you justify blatant immoral behaviour?
Quote by Jehuty
Is that how you justify blatant immoral behaviour?

It might be immoral to you, but it might not to the other person. It's perspective. I'm not saying things like murder, or war is right, but essentially it isn't wrong to the person who is in control. The world will forever remember Adolf Hitler as an immoral dictator, leaving out the part where he was a vegetarian, loved animals and was a family man.
Again, not justifying someone's actions, but a different perspective. He did what he thought was right for his country.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
People that believe that Jesus Christ is our lord and savior are good. Those who don't are bad. It's as simple as that.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by dann_blood
It might be immoral to you, but it might not to the other person. It's perspective. I'm not saying things like murder, or war is right, but essentially it isn't wrong to the person who is in control. The world will forever remember Adolf Hitler as an immoral dictator, leaving out the part where he was a vegetarian, loved animals and was a family man.
Again, not justifying someone's actions, but a different perspective. He did what he thought was right for his country.

It might be the right thing to do to him - but that doesn't make it moral behaviour in general. This discussion has been going on for ages between philosophers, but I personally do believe in an objective moral standard. He might be good in his own perspective but horrible to my standards if you ask me.
People are born neutral. Their if their parents love em, they become good. If their parents hate em, they become bad.
Though some kids have more tendency to turn bad instead of good...
Quote by darkstar2466
People that believe that Jesus Christ is our lord and savior are good. Those who don't are bad. It's as simple as that.

way to go mate!
So half the world is apparently bad...!
Nurture>Nature

I was brought up to be a lovely young man.
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
Quote by Jehuty
It might be the right thing to do to him - but that doesn't make it moral behaviour in general. This discussion has been going on for ages between philosophers, but I personally do believe in an objective moral standard. He might be good in his own perspective but horrible to my standards if you ask me.

Moral behaviour is subjective. Our media is so quick to call the Taliban evil, yet when they were in power they made the growth of opium poppys, which can be turned into heroine, illegal. Since they were taken out of power, over 90% of the worlds heroine supply comes from Afghanistan. Again, it's all subjective.
Many middle-easterners consider the US evil, and many US citizens consider the middle-east evil.
Moral standards can be determined by the society we live in, and the influences on that society. A predominantly christian society that hasnt seen war in 50 years will have differing views on morality than a predominantly Hindu society that has been war-torn for 50 years.
Setting an international moral standard that everyone will follow can't be done, because peoples own individual views vary too much.
Quote by Vornik
Chaotic Neutral.

/Role Playing nerd
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by dann_blood
Moral behaviour is subjective. Our media is so quick to call the Taliban evil, yet when they were in power they made the growth of opium poppys, which can be turned into heroine, illegal. Since they were taken out of power, over 90% of the worlds heroine supply comes from Afghanistan. Again, it's all subjective.
Many middle-easterners consider the US evil, and many US citizens consider the middle-east evil.
Moral standards can be determined by the society we live in, and the influences on that society. A predominantly christian society that hasnt seen war in 50 years will have differing views on morality than a predominantly Hindu society that has been war-torn for 50 years.
Setting an international moral standard that everyone will follow can't be done, because peoples own individual views vary too much.

We have a winner. I agree with everything you said.
Quote by dann_blood

+1

Not voting in the poll because none of the answers apply.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Right now in the whole world there might not be more that 4 or 5 genuinely evil people.
The rest are just filling their needs. No one is genuinely evil. Give everyone a chance, they're all nice people. Evil is determined by the society and the perceiver. No one genuinely tried to harm someone else. Most of the time they're trying to do something for themselves and the other person just comes in their way. Its all very subjective.

Millions of people supported Hitler in his war and his views. Some people still do. You can't say Hitler was evil. Thats a label the modern world has tagged onto him. Or else back during the WW2 he was a hero to millions of Germans. He just had a different ideology than others.

Even back during the middle ages the Romans, English and French brutally killed millions of people during the crusades and the inquisition. Were they evil too? The arab/muslim world might believe they were truly evil. The christian world may believe they were heros and warriors of god. Most of them were neither. They were just following the command given to them by the people above them.

No one is genuinely evil. Maybe only a few handful of people may be genuinely evil and there's usually a history/reason behind them. But evil is just what the society labels someone who doesn't follow its ideology.
Since good and bad is subjective everyone tries to make themselves happy and the ones they care for happy, therefore everyone's good, if you're not that person's list for making happy, that could constitute as being bad because they dont really care about your well being. In short I think everyone's good hearted...but to themselves and the people and things they care for.
Quote by master
A Person is good, but people are chaotic, neurotic, and evil

sometimes/

Sometimes they're lawful aswell, which can be seen as evil or good.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Quote by master
A Person is good, but people are chaotic, neurotic, and evil

sometimes/

Hmm, I see what you are saying. But individuals can be bad too, after all, more than one person equals people, lots of people are bad people.

And also, moral standards have been established on this planet, I can say someone is evil, and be right, because if over 50% of the population of earth agree with me, that is the moral standard. A single person who is born could be good, or bad, depending on their experiences growing up coupled with their physical selves, both at birth, and after further development. I don't think a baby can be inherently, individually, good or bad. They are neutral, no bad actions or good ones. But there is no denying, people, as in all of us, are more bad than good. It varies area to area, person to person, but look at the state of the world at this very moment, it wouldn't be like it is if we were generally nice chappys . . . .. . . . . . .
Quote by FrenchyFungus
I am not a woman as I currently claim

Quote by Rabid
I am actually a woman, unlike Frenchy
Quote by Ez0ph
At least not factually.

+1

Good and bad are perspectives.
▼▲
Quote by shdowfox17
awesome avatar,denn0069!
Quote by Valo
The most truth I've heard in the pit.
ever.
▼▲
Page 1 of 2