Anyone on here using this pedal? Any opinions on it? Anyone know where I can find any useful settings info on it?

I ask because I've ordered one today, admittedly on a bit of a whim, but it seems an EQ pedal is very much a "must have" item and should actually be the first pedal you buy (that's what I'll tell the wife when it turns up anyway!)

I plan to use it in the FX loop of my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I currently use a Boss ME-50 MFX unit straight into the amp so I figured the FX loop route for the GE-7 would be the better option (unless anyone might wish to correct me on that).
kipper15

Guitar: Fender MIA 2006 Strat, Callaham upgrades
Pickups: Fender Custom Shop '69
Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
FX: Boss ME-50, Boss FBM-1, Boss FDR-1, Boss FRV-1, Boss GE-7, Vox Wah Wah, Dunlop Crybaby
Misc: Vox JamVOX, Dr Z Air Brake
Last edited by kipper15 at Aug 12, 2008,
By putting it in the effects loop you get MUCH more control over your sound, you may have to fiddle about with it for a while to find settings you like , but when you do youll wonder how you managed without one
The GE7 is terrible man, it allowed me to shape my sound but it added soooooooo much noise and fizz to the tone. Save up and buy an MXR EQ.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by bass_monkey
By putting it in the effects loop you get MUCH more control over your sound, you may have to fiddle about with it for a while to find settings you like , but when you do youll wonder how you managed without one

Thanks, glad to hear that the FX loop placement is the way to go. I have heard the "how did I get by without one?" reaction is common with EQ pedals.
kipper15

FX: Boss ME-50, Boss FBM-1, Boss FDR-1, Boss FRV-1, Boss GE-7, Vox Wah Wah, Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by howey
The GE7 is terrible man, it allowed me to shape my sound but it added soooooooo much noise and fizz to the tone. Save up and buy an MXR EQ.

Are they really that noisy? I have read they can be if you don't place them in the FX loop. I looked at the MXR models as well, I liked the look of the 10 band model I must admit. But I went with the Boss as I like their gear and it was cheaper too. I'll see how I get on with it.
kipper15

There seems to be a varied set of opinions about this pedal (and the MXR ones as well to be fair) but overall the Boss gets very favourable reviews. I love Roland/Boss gear anyway, always have. It seems a lot of famous players have used this pedal too.

The pedal arrived today, just waiting for some extra cables to arrive so I can try it out. Looking forward to seeing how I get on with it. Will definitely start by trying it out in the FX loop.
kipper15

I use mine ALOT for boosting. As someone said it can be a bit noisy, but that's only when boosting the level, and that should be expected whenever you're boosting the gain like that no matter the pedal.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by kipper15
There seems to be a varied set of opinions about this pedal (and the MXR ones as well to be fair) but overall the Boss gets very favourable reviews. I love Roland/Boss gear anyway, always have. It seems a lot of famous players have used this pedal too.

The pedal arrived today, just waiting for some extra cables to arrive so I can try it out. Looking forward to seeing how I get on with it. Will definitely start by trying it out in the FX loop.

I have the pedal and it does add some noise(i don't go overboard with the settings) but it doesn't bother me. Use it in the fx loop. heres a website where u can find some good settings for it.
http://www.grailtone.com/tone-settings/eq/view-predistortion-eq-settings.html
Gear:
Ibanez Artcore AM73
Carlo-Robelli Acoustic (first guitar)
Peavey VaveKing 212
BOSS GE-7
BOSS Super Chorus CH-1
Quote by howey

apparently you can improve the thing a whole ton by spending $5 and replacing all the capacitors inside it
i use a ge-7 and don't get much noise from it at all. i use it with a epi vj so it's on all the time.
Quote by papersun87
GE-7 with a Sniper Mod is supposed to be the cat's pajamas.

It is. It gives you a lot more control and eliminates the usual hum. I'm actually selling mine now though. Just because I don't use it.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by TOILETHERO
I have the pedal and it does add some noise(i don't go overboard with the settings) but it doesn't bother me. Use it in the fx loop. heres a website where u can find some good settings for it.
http://www.grailtone.com/tone-settings/eq/view-predistortion-eq-settings.html

Thanks for the link...very helpful indeed
kipper15

Quote by kipper15
Thanks for the link...very helpful indeed

yeah no problem. if u need any more help just let me know.
Gear:
Ibanez Artcore AM73
Carlo-Robelli Acoustic (first guitar)
Peavey VaveKing 212
BOSS GE-7
BOSS Super Chorus CH-1