i was wondering how well they would record acoustic gutars and singing.
anyone tried this before
To be honest, dictaphones blow. You'll be far better off just getting a microphone and plugging that into your PC (A proper vox mic, with a converter to 3.5mm end on it) and using that.
their quality was not great at all...ever...
and so the quality of any audio through them would be poor.

but if you just happen to have on in your basement give it a try haha

You really have to get a lot of volume to them though so it would not work for an acoustic. Usually condenser mics are used for acoustics since they pick up more detail and dont need as much gain from the preamp.

If you really want to record, an audio interface is the best way to start these days.
see Tweaks Guide in my sig.
Quote by druggietoad2k5
To be honest, dictaphones blow. You'll be far better off just getting a microphone and plugging that into your PC (A proper vox mic, with a converter to 3.5mm end on it) and using that.

Although I'd recommend you have a dedicated soundcard as opposed to using your motherboard's onboard one.
whats a dictaphone?
Brigardier of the Seven String E.R.G. Legion
Fiddles
Ibby RG7321 lundgren M7 bridge, blaze7 neck
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Although I'd recommend you have a dedicated soundcard as opposed to using your motherboard's onboard one.

Sometimes you get lucky with stock sound cards, my old dell did fairly good when running a small mixer (for the preamps and XLR inputs) into the line in.

these days I use a true audio interface though and the quality is noticeably better.

Quote by highlordmugfug
whats a dictaphone?

Google it
why would you attempt to use that old thing? why not just spring for a 20$ voice recorder at the least? or buy a cheap mic?
Fiddles
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
It could actually sound interesting in some cases.
similar to why everyone on guitar amps still prefers the sound a tubes compared to modern Solid States.

however with the amount of plugs in sequencers these days I'm sure there's an easy way to get a very similar effect, I do it every now and then with distortion and EQ.
Quote by moody07747
It could actually sound interesting in some cases.

true, but it could also sound like a chorus of turds, what im wondering, is why, if the threadstarter has one, he wouldnt just try it, or maybe he wants to buy one and try it if he hears good things, who knows... he knows, wich is it threadstarterboy?
Fiddles
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
A dictaphone is a device used for recording spoken word 'on the fly' sort of thing. Maybe an interview, 'notes to self' while on the go, etc. For that purpose, they're great.

However... following the notion of different tools for different jobs... keep in mind that it is made to record spoken word in almost a 'scratch pad' format. It was never intended for recording music as a permanent record - two attributes that change the expectations of a recording device considerably.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.