We just found out that we're now being charged with £600 for repairs to our old house which we moved out of

We're not getting our deposits back.

I AM FUMING!

i was there for BOTH inspections. The one BEFORE we moved in, and the one AFTERWARDS (writen inventories) i even signed each page of them!

The letting agency have the evidence to proove what mess was there BEFORE and what mess we left AFTERWARDS.

THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL THAT WE SHOULD BE CHARGED £600 IN DAMAGES!

Theyre charging US for a key that we had to get cut becuase the LETTING AGENCY lost it. They told us to get one cut and they would pay my housemate back. Which they did.

My bookcase broke back in last OCTOBER.. i went in EVERY WEEK since i moved out....and no one bothered to do anything about it, and we're getting charged for that.

We're gonna threaten them with legal action.
BEAT IT, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN YOU DIRTY C***!-Mel Gimpsuit
Last edited by XCount Me InX at Aug 12, 2008,
Quote by _Tim_
£600 for a key? Tell them to fu(k off.

no for all the "damages" we did to the house

which, were already there BEFORE we moved in

The letting agency has the proof from their inventory that all this stuff was broken or messy BEFORE we moved in, and we're getting charged with it.

We werent a party house at all, we never broke anything or messed anything
Sue them and their balls. Don't just threaten. Sue them. You'll get your deposit back and then some.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I know the feeling, the manager at the hotel I was at last year tried to charge me 200 euros for breaking the plastic thing on the key. Luckily it was my last day and I just left.
apparently its a well known scam for students

they dont give a **** aslong as they get your money.

Im worried my housemate who is staying on is gonna get scamemd again

yeah were all gonna send threatening emails and threaten to sue them
Well, if you broke a bookcase you should probably be charged for it.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Errrm, I'd contact a law firm about this or something, because most of UG would tell you stuff which only half may be true, or you could even go slightly further and sue them for more stuff you didn't realise.
Flash your breasts. They'll forget it.

Or, you could tell us what the grounds for the charges are in detail. You really don't have to pay if you have sufficient evidence, which means that you don't have to take them to court and can just refuse to pay. If they try and take you to court, you should still have the same evidence.
It'll save you a hell of alot of time and money.

EDIT: It also depends on how badly you want the deposit, but you willingly moved in and signed a contract previously knowing what was wrong with the place.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by rabidguitarist
Well, if you broke a bookcase you should probably be charged for it.

i didnt break it
it was being held together with blu tack before i moved it

i was asleep and it just collapsed in the night
Last edited by XCount Me InX at Aug 12, 2008,
did you take photos before you moved in, mail them to yourself and then keep the envelope unopened somewhere safe as proof of the state of the place before you lived there? did you fill out a report detailing every last bit of damage that was already done before you moved in?

i'm guessing not.
from daylight...
...into darkness
I see. Tell him to show proof of it's condition before and a change in it's condition after you left. I don't think he has a leg to stand on.
Quote by XCount Me InX
i didnt break it
it was being held together with blu tack before i moved it

i was asleep and it just collapsed in the night

Then you should have told them when you moved in.

And don't tell me it's not your fault- I know it isn't, but this is a legal situation, and therefore if you can't prove that you didn't break it, then you might aswell have broken it.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
get in there and **** them bitches up.
In an interstellar burst! I am back to save the universe...
Quote by divid3d
did you take photos before you moved in, mail them to yourself and then keep the envelope unopened somewhere safe as proof of the state of the place before you lived there? did you fill out a report detailing every last bit of damage that was already done before you moved in?

i'm guessing not.

pretty sure they can't charge unless they have proof (usually in the form of an inventory) that the damages weren't present before the TS moved in. if he's not lying, he's fine.
Quote by skagitup
pretty sure they can't charge unless they have proof (usually in the form of an inventory) that the damages weren't present before the TS moved in. if he's not lying, he's fine.

it is always best to have evidence to back yourself up. i would never move into a place without mailing myself a list of all damages/faults and photos of all visible damage to use in case a dodgy landlord tries to take my bond.
from daylight...
...into darkness
well we didnt think about it
it were first time srudents

the letting agency had been recomended by the Student Union so we just decided to go with it

We think were ok, because i signed each page of both inventories.

when i went in about the bookcase.They made a note in the diary about it each time i went in and complained, but it was on the perliminary inventory about how bad it was.
yeah we are

cheers for that im gonna look into it alot more

both my uncle and aunty lecture in law and my cousins a graduate Lawyer so im gonna talk to them about this
Quote by XCount Me InX
apparently its a well known scam for students

they dont give a **** aslong as they get your money.

Im worried my housemate who is staying on is gonna get scamemd again

yeah were all gonna send threatening emails and threaten to sue them

This is true. Unless they have proof that it was you and your flat mates that caused the damage, the landlord/landlady wouldn't have a leg to stand on if it went to court or something. Good luck fighting the money grabbing f******.
i just phoned them up...well tried THREE times and each time it was "oh ill phone you back"
last time they hung up..man she was being a bitch.

Im so confused though now.
One housemate told me all the stuff i said in the starting post

and another phoned up....and the company said they hadnt even sorted out giving back students diposits yet, and that we would get a letter.

SOMEONES lying SOMEWHERE
go there physically, with your friends, be intimidating
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
....that really sucks, though now I'll know what to do when I move in to my student accommodation in a few weeks...
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Unlucky, my flatmate knocked a hole in a door and did a piss poor job of filling it in and I epoxied a curtain rail t the wall after it fell off and we got our deposits back minus the scandalous "check-out fee"
That sucks, the house I am renting is all ****ed up haha. We have broken windows and theres spraypaint all over the walls. Plus all the bull**** everyone writes everywhere. Theres some holes in the walls from when we smashed all the TVs in the house too. My landlord doesnt give a **** though.

But back on topic, you should definately take your claim to court.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
....that really sucks, though now I'll know what to do when I move in to my student accommodation in a few weeks...

yeah just be aware of it

try and get your landlords contact details and stuff

thast whats happening with my new house this year, and ive met him and stuff.. THIS way...if something goes wrong you know where they live and stuff