ok so ive been teaching myself musci theory through UGs lessons section. and ive grasped quite a lot of it. but now im a little confused
if you have a major (i guess i should say mode) like ionian, and ill say in the key of A since thats what im trying to write a song in (A,B,C#,D,E,F#,G#,A). i would be correct to say that changing this to a minor (aeolian) would mean i change my third to a dimished third b3 right so C. but is that changing the whole thing because i know that going odwn the fretboard in A means aeolian would be F#. so if someone could fill in the holes here it would be very helpful. and try not to tlak too far over my head this may sound smart (maybe) but i dont really know all my theory ive only been at this for 4 months or so on my own.
thanks for any one who helps

p.s. i want to get a metronome but i dont know how to use it really and if i need it since i dont know any of the techinical help so any help on metronomes would be appreciated also
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
I don't have a clue about the theory side of your question but a metronome is a very simple thing really.

All it does is set down a click at a constant tempo. You can adjust the tempo on the metronome to your desired speed.Whether you get a wind-up metronome or an electronic one doesn't matter. That's down to personal taste and hoe much money you can/or are willing to spend on it.
Quote by G-Dog_666
I don't have a clue about the theory side of your question but a metronome is a very simple thing really.

All it does is set down a click at a constant tempo. You can adjust the tempo on the metronome to your desired speed.Whether you get a wind-up metronome or an electronic one doesn't matter. That's down to personal taste and hoe much money you can/or are willing to spend on it.

ok cause i wast sure casue im not really good at BPM or anyhting so i wasnt sure if y i could use it right thnks
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Modes don't really apply here - the notes of A minor are

A B C D E F G

The natural minor scale is the major scale with a flattened third, sixth and seventh.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Modes don't really apply here - the notes of A minor are

A B C D E F G

The natural minor scale is the major scale with a flattened third, sixth and seventh.

so im worng in thinking it would be A B C D E F# G#, and also i was just wondering this becuase i was trying to write a sweep and i couldnt really get one, and i went back and looked at my notes and i started overthinking it
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
It isn't very hard if you understand the time signature you want to use. The BPM is marked on the metronome itself so you just have to adjust it. I'm not too good with explaining time signatures. I'm guessing there are lessons here on UG which explain them.

My basic understanding is that the top number of the time sig tells you how many beats are in a bar and the bottom number tells you the rhythmic value of those notes. For example:

4/4 = 4 notes in a bar and each note is a quater note. That's the basic "1, 2, 3, 4" rhythm.
6/8 = 6 notes in a bar and each note is an 8th note.
12/8 = 12 notes in a bar and each note is an 8th note. This sounds like 4/4 swing style but it isn't. Or at least that's how I think of it.

I hope this helps.
Quote by G-Dog_666
It isn't very hard if you understand the time signature you want to use. The BPM is marked on the metronome itself so you just have to adjust it. I'm not too good with explaining time signatures. I'm guessing there are lessons here on UG which explain them.

My basic understanding is that the top number of the time sig tells you how many beats are in a bar and the bottom number tells you the rhythmic value of those notes. For example:

4/4 = 4 notes in a bar and each note is a quater note. That's the basic "1, 2, 3, 4" rhythm.
6/8 = 6 notes in a bar and each note is an 8th note.
12/8 = 12 notes in a bar and each note is an 8th note. This sounds like 4/4 swing style but it isn't. Or at least that's how I think of it.

I hope this helps.

somewhat thnks, i really dont understnad bpm in the first palce but this helps. what i should say is i dont understand note lengths like i know 16 is shorter that 8 but i dont know how that works with a metronome
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Ok dude. I think I can help.

A quarter note = 1 beat
An 8th note = 2 notes per beat
a 16th = 4 notes per beat

So this means in standard 4/4 time signature there are either:

1 whole note
2 half notes
4 quarter notes
8 8th notes
16 16th notes
32 32nd notes
or
64 64th notes in each bar.

Hence the names as they are all divisible fractions which make up 4/4. I don't know their classical/theoretical names. I know there are Quavers, Crotchets and Minims but don't know which values these names relate to.

On a side note, you shouldn't encounter 32nd or 64th notes too much on guitar as from what I understand they're more used when playing drums.

Again I hope this helps.
Also. Get Powertab or Guitar Pro and mess around with those to get an idea of time signatures. That's how I properly got to grips with rhythms.
Quote by G-Dog_666
Also. Get Powertab or Guitar Pro and mess around with those to get an idea of time signatures. That's how I properly got to grips with rhythms.

i have powertab but i never really toyed around with it ive written one song on it and onyl did note stuff to make it sound like my real playing of it, other than it soudning right i didnt care, but now i will thnks again
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
No worries mate. If you have any more problems about this stuff leave me a profile message or PM me. I'm always happy to help.