Hey guys.

I'm looking for the title. Having trouble finding anything used (my preference), so I'm thinking about getting something new. Avatar gets high ratings from guitar players, and I was wondering what the bass community thought of them. Their SB 112 Neo shipped for under $300 definitely interests me. One of my stumbling blocks is that I definitely want it to be 8 ohms (which is available from Avatar) because I have an old Traynor tube head I'll be using with it.

Thoughts on this one or any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
The best portable bass cabs I can find are the Ashdown ABM Mini 15. Which I bought because I needed exactly what you did, and these are the best you can get imo.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I think you should get a 210 rather than a 112. Would be generally louder, and it might also have a thicker sound due to a slightly larger cabinet.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Quote by ChemicalFire
The best portable bass cabs I can find are the Ashdown ABM Mini 15. Which I bought because I needed exactly what you did, and these are the best you can get imo.

I'll look into that one.

Quote by Welsh Guitar
I think you should get a 210 rather than a 112. Would be generally louder, and it might also have a thicker sound due to a slightly larger cabinet.

You think? It's a consideration. I do prefer 10's to 12's for bass, but my immediate needs are for only about 25-50W capacity, and I like the fact that the 112 model is about 10lbs lighter. It'll most likely spend most of it's time at a girl's house who might want to move it around once in a while.

The 210 handles 500W. If I decide to do any live playing with a bass, it might come in handy. I'm on the fence, here.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
With an old tube head, the whole portable thing isn't gonna happen. lol

Saying that, Avatar bass cabinets are praised around here. A lot of companies looking to make portable bass amps are using a 1x12 combination because a well designed 12 goes pretty much as low as a 15. However, the voicing is different and a 12 won't be as bassy, regardless of response. IMO you should get a 2x12 because it will have a fuller sound and it is well accepted as a standalone cabinet, along the lines of a 4x10. However, if weight is a big issue, get a 1x12.
How portable is "portable"?

Small car? Public transport? Easy to carry over long distances?

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
I'm just looking for something on the small side that sounds good. Nothing more than a 210 or a 115. This is mostly for recording and light jams. Smaller and lightweight is better, as I'm the guy who'll probably be carrying it up & down stairs.

I'd love to hear from anyone who's actually played those Avatars, too.

The head in question is a Traynor Bassmate 2a. I use it as a guitar amp now with a lightweight 1x12 cab. Pretty small as far as tube bass heads are concerned.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I have an Avatar 410, which may be a bit larger than you need, but that thing is extremely easy to move for my tastes, especially with casters. It weights less than 60 lbs, and easily fits in the back-seat of my two door car.

I haven't checked talkbass's classifieds in a while, but when I was looking for an avatar cab they had many floating around, maybe check there. You might find yourself a 212 for right around $300.