Page 1 of 2
Title question..... QOTD for me...

Will the Mesa/Boogie TriAxis combined with a VHT 2:90:2 (same power section as the UL Pitbull) do metal?
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Like heavy as hell metal.

Balls to the wall, modern, high gain, Alter Bridge, Meshuggah, i have tons of influences, and none of them use the boogie triaxis...I dont care what they use, I have my own tone...I just need to know how high gain the triaxis will get.
yeah im not one for buying amps cuz so and so used it so i feel you. Im fairly certain the triaxis can get there with some tweaking...id look into Engl Preamps too...you can prolly get better for your style..and cheaper too
I just found the Engl E530.... I think I might switch from the Rivera K-Tre in my list to the Engl E-530 and a VHT 2:90:2
You can't compare a TriAxis to a 530. Maybe a 570 or 580. The 580 is Engl's take on a TriAxis design and poo's on the TriAxis according to some. The 530 is carp comparing.
Also think before buying a kt88 powered LOUD beast of a poweramp.
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at Aug 12, 2008,
The reviews of the 530 ROCK, and I don't think I really need the crazy functionality of the TriAxis....

Also, I have checked into ENGL's poweramps, and they are similarly priced at 50 watts with 5881 tubes.
I've heard mixed reviews on the 530 some say it cant do metal its more of a rock amp and some say it can only do metal. I've heard a few clips and it sounded pretty nice and there is a clip of a guy doing Meshuggah with one. But you can never tell if its all amp or if there spicing it up a bit. So you wont know until you test it out yourself.. I've been debating on getting one for the longest but havent pulled the trigger on it yet because i cant test it out first.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
http://www.netmusicians.org/?section=id&value=959

This is a BRUTAL clip man, the last open chord...mm... that did it for me..... the palm mutes are a little weak, but I think coupled with the ENGL 50 watt power amp, it may just scream....

Yup, I hear the same thing when I listen to clips of one. Weak palm mutes and it always sounds a bit thin..

Another option you might want to look into as well is the ADA MP-1 Modded of coarse.. http://www.adadepot.com/adagear/detailled/ADA-MP-1/mods/3TM.htm
I've listened to them all, but I don't really hear like...the heavy heavy rhythm tones i'm looking for.....

Would the Randall RM4 be a better bet?
Quote by Brendan.Clace
I've listened to them all, but I don't really hear like...the heavy heavy rhythm tones i'm looking for.....

Would the Randall RM4 be a better bet?

The RM4 (two- so I could run 8 modules) are one of the amps on my dream amp list... It coupled with the RT2/50 gives you insane versatility. It allows you to have any amp you want with any power tube you want as the flick of a footswitch its a nice unit but can get up there in price.
I wouldn't trust clips from stores trying to make sales. Although it isn't exactly guitar center, is it.
These go to eleven...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
The RM4 (two- so I could run 8 modules) are one of the amps on my dream amp list... It coupled with the RT2/50 gives you insane versatility. It allows you to have any amp you want with any power tube you want as the flick of a footswitch its a nice unit but can get up there in price.

I clearly am going this route then. I mean, it versus the weak engl clips im hearing and the non-metal from the triaxis and stuff.... Randall just seems like my best bet......

PLUS....

Breaking Benjamin, Disturbed etc all seem to be going with the randall(egnater) module route...... hmmm... i will go price out right now....
Quote by Brendan.Clace
dont care what they use, I have my own tone...I just need to know how high gain the triaxis will get.

Do you really have your "own tone" or do you have a ideal tone in your head.
"People worry too much about tone instead of just rocking out"
I have an ideal tone in my head that I want...
Usually most guitarists never achieve that tone because A) unless you have loads and loads and loads of cash to spend, it'll never be 100% perfect..and even then...just close B) it changes over time...
Im in the same boat... I know the sound I want but i'm still trying to work out how im going to get it. I'm getting close with my current setup but I need a bit more higher end tone to accomplish it.
Quote by kayman121
Usually most guitarists never achieve that tone because A) unless you have loads and loads and loads of cash to spend, it'll never be 100% perfect..and even then...just close B) it changes over time...

very true and lets not forget....if i have the exact same setup as lets say *insert famous guitarist* that doesnt mean i ll sound like him
**** OFF

Im not trying to sound like someone else... why would I?

I pretty much want a blisteringly heavy rhythm tone with tons of low end tightness, combined with recto mids....

I have an idea of how to get it, and I think that randall may get me the closest... just not sure how their modular series sounds....
chill man i m just trying to help you...if u want a high end sound go get a 2000-3000 dollar rectifier and get those recto mids u love but until then....i m just saying people underrate the importance of playing----->sound
you obviously did not read my entire post

blistering heavy rhythm tone with tons of TIGHTNESS

Tighness in the low end =/= recto tone

I have played with a LOT of high end gear, and yet, have not been able to find my tone.

So, I am looking into ENGL and Randall for amplifiers....
I don't know why anyone would correlate the tone in the head with someone else's tone...if anything I'd think it'd imply the opposite :P so im right there with you Brendan....tho for me im on a budget of ~1600 USD to find that tone as accurately and spot on as i can
Quote by Brendan.Clace

blistering heavy rhythm tone with tons of TIGHTNESS

That would be Engl, yeah
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by Brendan.Clace
**** OFF

Im not trying to sound like someone else... why would I?

I pretty much want a blisteringly heavy rhythm tone with tons of low end tightness, combined with recto mids....

I have an idea of how to get it, and I think that randall may get me the closest... just not sure how their modular series sounds....

I have now heard you mutter like 4 different amps in the matter of a day or so...We could all sit her and speculate what this and that combined with this or that for years....It sounds to me that you dont really have a solid idea of what you need to aquire to achive the sound you want. If I were you I would travel to where ever and PLAY the equipment first hand and stop browsing the net for clips and reviews all day.
"People worry too much about tone instead of just rocking out"
Quote by JaredFace
I have now heard you mutter like 4 different amps in the matter of a day or so...We could all sit her and speculate what this and that combined with this or that for years....It sounds to me that you dont really have a solid idea of what you need to aquire to achive the sound you want. If I were you I would travel to where ever and PLAY the equipment first hand and stop browsing the net for clips and reviews all day.

Thats easy to say, but demo'ing all the amps on someones list is near impossible in most citys. I usually have to wait till a guitar show comes to town and even then the wait to play high end amps is retarded. So usually I check up my local used guitar shops and hope something comes in. Which is the reason forums like these are even in existance. There here to ask questions and talk about guitar related stuff for people that cant get out and play the stuff they are asking about.
Again, IbanezPsycho, thank you so much

I have looked into the Randall a lot more, and man-oh-man... it's looking better and better.

Only problem...again, as you said... it STARTS at 700 bucks, but fully loaded its like 1500 or so.....
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Again, IbanezPsycho, thank you so much

I have looked into the Randall a lot more, and man-oh-man... it's looking better and better.

Only problem...again, as you said... it STARTS at 700 bucks, but fully loaded its like 1500 or so.....

And yea its expensive up front but cheap as hell after the fact. Example say you have 4 modules but your taste change or your still on the hunt for your tone. A new module is only $250 bucks vs if you had a head and you wanted another one your gonna shell out $2000 bucks. Its an insanely versatile line and really a money saving piece of gear if you look at it in the long run.
Can you use the MTS preamps in the RM100 heads?
OKay, I really like the sound of the 1086 module, can I use that in the RM4 with the blackface and modded Treadplate?
Quote by Brendan.Clace
OKay, I really like the sound of the 1086 module, can I use that in the RM4 with the blackface and modded Treadplate?

The RM4 can take up to 4 modules of your choice be it the sig's or regulars.
95% of modern amps can do metal with a boost.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Nice, thanks for that Ibanez
Page 1 of 2