OK next year, I'm goin to be in a dorm room, so having an amp that i cant play through quietly simply wont be an option. if i had something like $300 (possibly up to $400 if need be) to spend, then could i could a versatile tube amp and good quality, low-wattage, tube amp? for example, would the blackheart little giant work well in a dorm room? or the killer ant when it comes out?

also, would this even make sense? or in a few years would i be wanting to upgrade. in other words, would an amp in this price range sound good enough to justify buying it?

thanks!
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
I'm not sure about the blackhearts, but what I've found is that even the one channel 5 watt tube amps (like the fender champion 600) are probably still to loud to crank in a dorm room. Unless the people in your dorm are cool. My schoolmates didn't have any trouble with my 50 watt tube amp and my friends bass amp.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
I'm not sure about the blackhearts, but what I've found is that even the one channel 5 watt tube amps (like the fender champion 600) are probably still to loud to crank in a dorm room. Unless the people in your dorm are cool. My schoolmates didn't have any trouble with my 50 watt tube amp and my friends bass amp.

lol yea...idk my roommate, but from what i can tell, he does seem too much into loud.

also, i wouldnt want to crank it.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by Billy Picken
The 5 watt LG is way too loud for a dorm room.

Any amp with a headphone option will work.

*sigh* ill probly just run through my ME-50 for now then. i dont want to buy another SS amp...
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
If you're not looking to crank the 1 channel amps, then you're going to be stuck with a clean sound. If you have a nice OD pedal, that would work, but otherwise, you'll want to look into something smaller than 5 watts, or something with 2 channels if you need distortion.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I think they are, but versatility is questionable without pedals.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I'm movin off to college this year, and as much as I want to bring my electric and everything, it would just take up too much space and I would annoy all four of my roommates, and probably all the rooms around me too. So I'm just bringin my acoustic. much easier. and I can just look it up in the wardrobe so I don't have to worry about people stealin it.
Founder of the C.F. Martin & Co. Guitar Owners club.
YOU........should join if you have a Martin.....!!!!
JOIN

My Band: Abaton

Abaton

Check out some of the acoustic stuff on my profile if you want
*lock it up, not look it up sorry
Founder of the C.F. Martin & Co. Guitar Owners club.
YOU........should join if you have a Martin.....!!!!
JOIN

My Band: Abaton

Abaton

Check out some of the acoustic stuff on my profile if you want
^You can edit your post rather than having to double post.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
i have my ME-50 and i love the distortion on that, so a pedal wouldnt be an issue. i've already used it on my silvertone (see video in sig), but that thing is 51 years old. i'm not goin to bring an amp that old to college. so if i have a distortion pedal i like, would 5watt tube make sense????
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
i have my ME-50 and i love the distortion on that, so a pedal wouldnt be an issue. i've already used it on my silvertone (see video in sig), but that thing is 51 years old. i'm not goin to bring an amp that old to college. so if i have a distortion pedal i like, would 5watt tube make sense????

Yes. Your ME has a volume control right? should be able to take it down to almost nothing without sacrificing your tone.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
actually, i think the el84 based 5watters (like the blackheart, the valve jr, the ga-5) are going to be too loud, while the champ (even cranked when on the low channel) is probably going to be ok
its really not too loud...its only 4watts
plus you can get really nice distortion if you crank it with LP that is

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by bored_maniac33
also, would this even make sense? or in a few years would i be wanting to upgrade. in other words, would an amp in this price range sound good enough to justify buying it?

If you know you prefer the sound of tubes, it's probably worth it. I'd suggest you buy something used (like an Epi VJ or a Crate V8 combo), as you'll most likely be able to turn around and sell it for what you paid in a few years when you are ready to upgrade.

5W will still be pretty loud. A good OD pedal (your ME-50 doesn't qualify, IMHO) would be able to get you great tones at lower volumes. That and maybe an eq.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I say wait for the killer ant.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Used Epi VJ's go for like $90 on CL, you have room for some pedals there and like slats said, you can sell it for that or about that later. The Killer Ant is a good idea too, but you won't find one used likely so you would be paying retail, approx $140-160. Still you would need a decent od to drive it.
Quote by TNfootballfan62
If you're not looking to crank the 1 channel amps, then you're going to be stuck with a clean sound. If you have a nice OD pedal, that would work, but otherwise, you'll want to look into something smaller than 5 watts, or something with 2 channels if you need distortion.

+1

a lot of those 5 watters (not all, but a lot) don't have a master/gain control. They're made so you can crank them *reasonably* easily (that is, compared to a 100 watt stack). but they're still way too loud for dorm.

to be honest, if you need to keep the volume low, i'd personally prefer a higher wattage tube amp with a good master volume/gain control, so you can get (decent-sounding) pre-amp overdrive at bedroom levels. It won't sound as good as cranked, but then there are few amps which are able to be cranked at bedroom volumes (and most of those are expensive).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

to be honest, if you need to keep the volume low, i'd personally prefer a higher wattage tube amp with a good master volume/gain control, so you can get (decent-sounding) pre-amp overdrive at bedroom levels. It won't sound as good as cranked, but then there are few amps which are able to be cranked at bedroom volumes (and most of those are expensive).

soooo basically i'm stuck waiting until i have more money?
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by darkarbiter7
I say wait for the killer ant.

The Killer Ant is like the new Peavey Windsor combo. Before that thing came out, everybosy was recommending it up & down as the perfect small tube combo. Then it came out and promptly fell on it's face.

I know nothing about this new 1W amp, and have serious doubts about it. It probably uses a real oddball tube in the power section, which could be good or bad. I wouldn't wait around for it, that much I know.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
get ya a blackheart or a vj and a couple pedals and trust me you will not regret it!
Quote by slatsmania
The Killer Ant is like the new Peavey Windsor combo. Before that thing came out, everybosy was recommending it up & down as the perfect small tube combo. Then it came out and promptly fell on it's face.

I know nothing about this new 1W amp, and have serious doubts about it. It probably uses a real oddball tube in the power section, which could be good or bad. I wouldn't wait around for it, that much I know.

Although your concerns are valid, the KA is a bit different than the PWS.
Peavey wanted to cram as many features into the Windsor Studio, like an "attenuator", among other things. The KA is very straightforward and basic, and after listening to the sound clips several times over, I think it sounds pretty good for a little amp.

But anyways, the KA uses a 12AX7 in the power section, and it can be swapped out for other 12__7 tubes.
And, I believe it's already out.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by slatsmania

It actually uses two 12AX7/ECC83 tubes as preamp and power stages.

Here's the manual that has a block diagram near the end.

http://www.blackhearteng.com/pdf/BH1H_OM.pdf
Quote by bored_maniac33
soooo basically i'm stuck waiting until i have more money?

not necessarily, i mean if you add together a vj + several pedals, you could probably get a 15 watter which has a master volume. whether or not that'd have enough gain, though, is the problem. it's still liable to be aimed at classic rock...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Peavey windsor with built in attenuator gave me real tube tone but very quiet. Max it out and I thin you could jam at drummer level. Very flexable amp. MAybe the and would be better at 1 watt but if you go to jam you're roadkill then. My crate V30 has a great sound at lower levels but I don't know about that quiet? I'll have to try it and let you know. I have a great 5 watt kalamazoo tube but until near max it just isnt very special and thats most tube amps. At dorm levels I'd be considering a battery powered Vox DA5. You can go jam out in the park when you want. Or just go acoustic.