So I did a week trade with a buddy, he gets my blue Strat, and I get his... dun dun...

Tokai Love Rock LS85Q. Woot!

I just got to spend some time with her and this is what I found:

Ok spent some time with it... and keep in mind this is the first time I spend more than 10 minutes with an LP.

It feels very weird having such a warm sound :P Very!
The controls already bother me, but it's not as bad as I thought. With the treble bleeds I added those volumes control turn down without losing or adding ANY treble. Got the right value the first time!!
The pickups would need replacing. They don't seem particularly hot or weak, just don't sound amazing I think. But they do the job.

It's VERY weird glancing at the mirror and seeing me with a Les Paul...

I can sling a Les Paul and play way lower than with a Strat without getting cramps and with the same playing ability! How weird...

Did I mention it's weird having such a warm tone? It's not good, it's not bad. Very different.

Sustain is particularly different on dirty tones, but you CAN hear the difference on clean sounds. Quite thick too. Again, different. I do miss the chime and spank of a Strat somehow, but eh. Different beasts for sure, and I wasn't expecting her to sound like a Strat.

There is NO FRET BUZZ anywhere. And that's before I even set it up... which I think I won't touch it now Plays VERY nice I gotta admit, even though the frets are old and somewhat gouged.

Action was too low at first, I raised it some so I can bend under lower strings as I prefer.

2 and a half step bends come pretty easy, some 3 steps too... Strung with 10s on a lower scale. I usually play 11s or 10/52s on a Fender scale.

Nut is very well cut too, she stays in tune mighty fine. I'm impressed.

She's not too heavy. The weight doesn't bother me at all so far. So I'm guessing she'd be within the light Les Paul categories, and since she sounds so warm and not very bright I guess it'd make sense.

I managed to set both pickups and their polepieces perfectly well before even stringing the beast. Perfect volume balance across pickups and strings. Way cool. I'm amazing.

I like it... it's good to have something this different once in a while. I'm having a blast actually... and I won't admit to having a blast with a LP twice

Bad things: I keep on bumping the selector out of position. If I had one for myself I'd get rid of one of the volume pots and bump the switch there. Also the tone controls on this babe are very subtle. But again it's not a bright guitar to start with, so eh...

However it does have a lot of mids to its sound. A lot more than my Charvels, perhaps a tiny bit more than the Strat. But the sounds are so different in the first place...

Oh... And NO OVERTONES! Man as much as I love Strats, those overtones everywhere bother me. This is tight and focus. Great.
These are good quality guitars, better than epi's in my expierance.
looks amazing
I love tokais.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
gotta love that man.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
heard of burny and edwards? these few brands give gibson a run for their money. gibson really buck up because these brands can emulate or even better a gibson easily. i love gibson guitars and i really hope they start improving on things like qc, which has a been a let down.
Aye I heard. Edwards is just another sub brand of ESP. Add Greco to that list too!
Quote by DudeLove
heard of burny and edwards? these few brands give gibson a run for their money. gibson really buck up because these brands can emulate or even better a gibson easily. i love gibson guitars and i really hope they start improving on things like qc, which has a been a let down.

Don't forget Greco & Orville.
Empty tankard! Empty Tankard!
Orville by Gibson :P They were manufactured under licence I think.
excellent! tokais are great.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nice! I've got the Tokai LS80, great guitar. I reckon it does need a pickup change though, sounds really warm and thick too when compared to my strat (which I still own, ha)
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Aye they're pretty good! The pickups are fun, very open and clear. But definitely not my sound hehe.. I'd go for something with less midrange in the bridge, and one with less bass on the neck.