I figure someone here probably plays. I've played before but usually with a rented 98 custom, which I'm pretty comfortable with. I played speedball with it and still did ok. Mainly I like playing in the woods. I've narrowed it down to two options but I'm open to suggestions. I'm looking at the spyder xtra and the 98 custom.

heres the spyder (http://www.spyder.tv/section/products/classic_series/xtra.html) and everyone knows what the 98 is
I have a 98 w/ the flatline barrel and its pretty nice. i like it anyway, but i have never played with a spyder so i couldnt tell you which of the two is better.
I don't play but I've read many many threads on this site discussing the 98 custom, and the unanimous decision is that it's pretty much the best marker for a new player. I remember hearing that if you replace the barrel with a 14 inch one then you can't go wrong (I believe it was 14 inch, but I'm not sure).
Get the 98 custom, for sure.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
I like the 98's but the spyders seem pretty bulletproof too. Everyone and thier mother has a tippmann but the spyders have really good reviews from what I've seen.
How much money do you have?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Not only is the tippmann an amazingly durable gun, but there are a ****ton of customizations that can make it a really decent gun especially for the price.
get a smart parts Ion if you're a beginner. You'll be happier with an ion as opposed to a Tippmann. You can still get a Tippman since you're not planning on playing speedball.
Yeah either go with the Tippmann 98 or a Tippmann A5. Spyders are more of a speedball gun and are generally electric. Electric aren't exactly reliable but they shoot really fast. Depends on how you are planning on playing the majority of the time really.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
I'm willing to spend 200 tops including all the equipment, so 100 to 150 on a gun I guess.
Quote by jim morrison714
get a smart parts Ion if you're a beginner. You'll be happier with an ion as opposed to a Tippmann. You can still get a Tippman since you're not planning on playing speedball.

THis^
I have a spyder TL+
but this gun is the ****.
All my friends are Imaginary

"There was much of the beautiful,
much of the wanton, much of the bizarre, something of the terrible,
and not a little of that which might have excited disgust"

Swan Song
A Story by the Earl of Slander
Go with the spyder. I have played with both guns for a considerable amount of time. My team was also 1st in state and I owned a paintball field for 5 years and was a gun tech. If you plan on beating your gun up against a tree go with the tippman but as far as playing goes they are both realiable. The spyder will give you a higher rate of fire (taking that most tippman 98 customs have a single trigger) and both guns are just as accurate as the other from the factory. The dropforward on the spyder also is alot more comfy than the way the tippman is. Also the tippman seems to have more kick than the spyders do resulting in less accuracy. If you go with a tippman and you are going to be playing woods ball with long shots get the flatline barrel. Its not really accurate compared to other barrels but if you have the paint to waste you can reach out and touch someone with that barrel. For the spyder I always used a Dye Boomstick at the time it was one of the best barrels on the market and they are priced about the same. Also match your paint size with your barrel size. Most people don't do this but it will make a huge diffrence in chopping paint and accuracy. If you need any more help just pm me.

One more thing. I would save for one of the spyders with a electronic frame and a 12vt or 18vt hopper. You would be so much happier with a setup like that.
by LazyLatinoRocke
At least you didn't walked in on your cousin and girlfriend going anal.
meh.

You really should get a new barrel with your gun if you get the 98, the stock barrel sucks. My favorite always have been stiffy's because of how awesome they are, but they're a tad expensive. I'd suggest a teardrop barrel. You dont need a 14'' barrel, 12'' is fine.

And yeah, look up paintball sizes online and match them to your barrel size.

You should get a new barrel with your spider too, but since you'll be firing at higher rates of speed it doesn't matter as much.

+1 to the ion, not that I know how much they are anymore.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Hey. I play paintball roughly once a week.

I have a spyder and a Bt-4 Combat. BT is Ben Tippmann, he is the son of the guy who owns Tippmann and makes the 98 customs. If i was you, from my experience with spyders, i would stay away from them. Sure, they make great entry level guns, and they even make some good higher end guns, but if your looking to play in the woods and want milsim style marker i would stick with the 98 custom. In fact, if your geared towards tippmann, i would take a look at the BT line of products first. In my opinion, BT is surpassing the original Tippmann in quality and innovation. The New BT TM7 is an example of that. I play with a BT-4 ERC which is a higher end model of the bt-4 combat. The bt4 combat has Tippman 98 internals. I think bt4 is cheaper. Check it out. I love it. Some say BT is a cheaper model of Tippmanns, but i disagree.

Both guns are highly durable. It was mentioned about that spyders have electronic trigger and higher rate of fire. This is true. It was also mentioned that Electro triggers arent reliable, and i dont agree. I think they work great. Both the spyder and the bt4 and the 98 custom will be reliable, provided that you maintain them. I shoot my bt with an electro trigger.

If you dont wanna spend a lot, stay away from Ion's. They are fairly cheap out of the box, but you'll spend a fortune getting them to work how you want them. Plus, you cant run them on co2 unless you have a syphon tank, and even then its not recommended. The reason for this is that the operating temperature of co2 is very cold and will freeze the ion up to the point you where you cannot shoot i believe. You need to run those on Air. A Co2 tank will cost you like 40$ max. An HPA tank filled with air, will cost you in the hundreds. I have a pure energy 88cu 4500 hpa tank and it was like $200 on sale. it would normally sell for around 250$ before taxes i think.

Anymore questions or anything? PM Me. I play with a tactical woodsball team.
Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Seymour Duncan Pickups
Washburn WR120 Rocker Series
Marshall DSL50
Marshall 1960 Lead Cab
Boss GT8
Boss Super Over Drive
Boss Super Chorus
Last edited by FarFromDead at Aug 12, 2008,
I have a Spyder MR1. Its built military style and it has some anti-dirt/rust paint coating on it. Its also very durable as well. I love it. However, if I was you Id get the MR2.... same as MR1 except its electronic so it can shoot automatic.

Should be able to get it for a little over a hundred. Theyre pretty cheap but good guns.
I always used custom Automags.....
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by aaronob
I have a Spyder MR1. Its built military style and it has some anti-dirt/rust paint coating on it. Its also very durable as well. I love it. However, if I was you Id get the MR2.... same as MR1 except its electronic so it can shoot automatic.

Should be able to get it for a little over a hundred. Theyre pretty cheap but good guns.

How does the MR1 hold up? i was thinking about getting it for an entry marker, but I read it has problems with it. The wiki page lists problems too. Also, there is an MR1-E which is the MR1 with an e trigger.
Gear

Seymour Duncan Pickups
Marshall DSL50
Marshall 1960 Lead Cab
Boss GT8
Boss Super Over Drive
Boss Super Chorus
I also dissagree with the electronic trigger being unrealiable. Don't get it wet inside and keep the battery charged or replaced when low and you will have no trouble what so ever. And as far as a entry level gun being for woodsball or speedball I don't agree with either. If a gun is referred to ask a speedball gun that usually means it has a higher rate of fire. If i was one on one in the woods with a guy thats shooting 5 balls per second and I was shooting 10+ I would have the upper hand. which side had you rather be standing on??? I used to shoot a Shocker 03 - halo b hopper - 68/45 psi tank and using a soundwave program to record I could hit 18bps pretty easily. I actually had people trying to pay me to leave my team and join theirs throughout the season.
by LazyLatinoRocke
At least you didn't walked in on your cousin and girlfriend going anal.
Quote by Joshanders86
I also dissagree with the electronic trigger being unrealiable. Don't get it wet inside and keep the battery charged or replaced when low and you will have no trouble what so ever. And as far as a entry level gun being for woodsball or speedball I don't agree with either. If a gun is referred to ask a speedball gun that usually means it has a higher rate of fire. If i was one on one in the woods with a guy thats shooting 5 balls per second and I was shooting 10+ I would have the upper hand. which side had you rather be standing on??? I used to shoot a Shocker 03 - halo b hopper - 68/45 psi tank and using a soundwave program to record I could hit 18bps pretty easily. I actually had people trying to pay me to leave my team and join theirs throughout the season.

Very true Josh. The gun isnt going to make the difference tho, id say its the player. I have played with both styles of guns, and prefer milsim to speedball guns on the feild. However, ive seen people play tactical games with invert mini's that shoot 20+ balls a second. You can get the milsim guns with electro triggers aswell. The Bt triggers ramp up to 17 balls a second once you hit 5. It all depends on your style of play. I like to play more tactical and sneak around and make my shots count as opposed to spraying. thats just my style tho, shooting lots works too. How long have you been playing for? sounds like you know your gear.
Gear

Seymour Duncan Pickups
Marshall DSL50
Marshall 1960 Lead Cab
Boss GT8
Boss Super Over Drive
Boss Super Chorus
Last edited by FarFromDead at Aug 12, 2008,
I'm leaning towards the spyder at the moment, either way I'm going to have to replace the barrell eventually. That model doesnt have an electronic trigger. I'm kindof limited to those two because I have to buy at a store (sports authority in the local mall). I think one of my friends got the spyder (the model I'm looking at) for xmas last year. I havent shot it but I was messing with his and it felt pretty solid. He has a 98 too so I've been trying to get in touch with him to ask which he likes better.
Don't get the spider, it's overrated and generally crappy in the field. Get the 98 custom.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
I can tell you that if you get the 98 you'll need a new barrel and i can't say about the spyder (never used one)

if i was you i would go to firstcallpaintball.com and get a diablo wrath ready to play kit.
the gun is perfect for woodsball and will work better then a spyder or a 98 would in speedball plus it comes with an airtank,tank cover,hopper,and an NXe 3 pack and it comes with free shiping so all you have to worry about is getting a mask
Oh, also it is worth mentioning that Tippmann has amazing customer service from experience. Yeah with what other people have been saying Spyders do generally shoot faster but if you are planning on playing at fields I would get the cheaper MR1 because if you will get and MR2 for the full auto most fields don't allow auto for insurance reasons. But yeah paintball can get expensive so a 200 dollar max limits you alot. I'd look into ebay but then you run the risk of buying a messed up gun. Maybe just for cheapness sakes look around for a pro-carbine or something older and still reliable.
Quote by livrockdie
like i said, I'm limited to buying at a store

Why can't you order off the internet? If it is only because you have cash maybe you can make a deal with your parents where they use their debit card or something and you give them your cash.
No, they dont go for that. I narrowed it down to those two options. I just wanted to see what other peoples experience was with them.
The spyder is junky. My buddy got it for Christmas, and it's not a decent woods combat gun. I would stick with the 98 custom.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
I guess I can always put a double trigger (plus the electric kit if I wanted) on the 98 if I get into speedball.