My fingers keep falling asleep when i play...but only when i play certain stuff....
It's not making me play bad it just feels weird...

This happen to anyone else?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by killboypowerhed
nope not me. maybe you should use a pick

No. The fingers on my fretting hand are the ones falling asleep.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Something's quite wrong with your technique, get proper lessons or find stuff about proper technique. Having your fingers lose circulation is not good at all.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
you might be a diabetic
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
hey I have the same problem, its making my playing sloppy though .....

do you hold the guitar with your thumb over the neck ?
Quote by t3hrav3n
Something's quite wrong with your technique, get proper lessons or find stuff about proper technique. Having your fingers lose circulation is not good at all.

why would that be something wrong with my technique?

Quote by inlovewithmusic
hey I have the same problem, its making my playing sloppy though .....

do you hold the guitar with your thumb over the neck ?

Its sometimes over the neck, sometimes its behind, and sometimes its under.

Quote by higherworlds
you might be a diabetic

ok....what?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Last edited by biga29 at Aug 12, 2008,
Quote by biga29
why would that be something wrong with my technique?

Its sometimes over the neck, sometimes its behind, and sometimes its under.

Well, your fingers shouldn't fall asleep when playing bass. Unless your fingers do that normally, in which case you might actually have a medical condition, there's something about your technique that causes you to lose circulation, which absolutely isn't right.

Your thumb should be on the back of the neck almost always. Being a little above is okay, but it should never be below, unless you have a 9-string bass for some reason.
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Quote by t3hrav3n
Well, your fingers shouldn't fall asleep when playing bass. Unless your fingers do that normally, in which case you might actually have a medical condition, there's something about your technique that causes you to lose circulation, which absolutely isn't right.

Your thumb should be on the back of the neck almost always. Being a little above is okay, but it should never be below, unless you have a 9-string bass for some reason.

I mean, its not hindering my playing at all...and since when does a part of your body falling asleep mean i have a medical condition?

I have a 5 string. My thumbs only below when i go up really high on the neck.

You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by biga29
sometimes its under.

What?!

Quote by biga29

I mean, its not hindering my playing at all...and since when does a part of your body falling asleep mean i have a medical condition?

If your fingers are falling asleep while preforming an activity, and do it consistently, you have something seriously wrong with your body or your technique. And because I can not reasonably think of something wrong with a tech that would put your fingers to sleep I recommend going to see a doctor.
Last edited by TormentedRx at Aug 12, 2008,
Quote by biga29

Well...if you have poor circulation due to CTS or some other malady. Fingers falling asleep or tingling means that your circulation is being cut off somewhere or you've got a nerve ending issue in your fingers.

Are you angling your wrist when you play? Is your elbow close to your body or away from it (fretting hand arm).
Quote by biga29

I have a 5 string. My thumbs only below when i go up really high on the neck.

I agree equally, I don't think its a medical condition ....it could be something to do
with the technique though ...I've been trying to analyze where I am going wrong and it think its got to do with the angle of your palm. I've noticed that I get the problem when
my palm is at a completely perpendicular angle from my hand. Like the other guy said ...I think that makes it hard for blood circulation ....this is just a guess ...i'm still trying to figure out if its the exact reason
Quote by anarkee
Well...if you have poor circulation due to CTS or some other malady. Fingers falling asleep or tingling means that your circulation is being cut off somewhere or you've got a nerve ending issue in your fingers.

Are you angling your wrist when you play? Is your elbow close to your body or away from it (fretting hand arm).

my elbow usually stays close to my body ..is that bad technique ?
Quote by anarkee

Well i think its just for this one song. cuz i started playin a different song and it went away.

In this song i have to stretch my hand about as far as i can,would that have anything to do with it? MY elbos close to my body and my wrist is kinda angled towrd the ground.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by TormentedRx
What?!

Like this...
Attachments:
untitled(edited).JPG
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
That's not a terribly clear picture, can you find a better one? From what I can tell, his thumb is still kinda behind the neck and is only slightly lower than where it should be.

Your elbow should be away from your body and your wrist slightly bent. You shouldn't loose circulation that easy if nothing's wrong with either your technique or your body. what kind of bass and strap do you have? Having the proper strap is important and may be the cause of your problem. Get a wide, padded strap and see if that doesn't change anything.
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
I used to get dead arms during band practice back when I played my 1,000 pound BC Rich on a teeny guitar strap.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
A good wide strap and getting your bass at the right height is vital as well. Too low and you're making your wrists hands and arms work too hard.
Quote by t3hrav3n
That's not a terribly clear picture, can you find a better one? From what I can tell, his thumb is still kinda behind the neck and is only slightly lower than where it should be.

Your elbow should be away from your body and your wrist slightly bent. You shouldn't loose circulation that easy if nothing's wrong with either your technique or your body. what kind of bass and strap do you have? Having the proper strap is important and may be the cause of your problem. Get a wide, padded strap and see if that doesn't change anything.

Yeh, i took the picture from a music video. My fingers dont loose circulation easy. just during a couple songs were my hand has to do wierd things.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦