Hey, Lately a lot of the stuff i have been writing dosent really have a good structure. Its just sounds like a bunch of riffs thrown together. It dosent sound bad its just missing some structure. I never really used a specific type of structure so I want to try something new. My question is, what are a few good structures for melodic metal or metalcore type songs? so far ive tried verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus but i just want some other peoples opinions of what a good structure is
I think the only song structure requirement for metal core would be having at least one breakdown. Preferably with a have time feel.

All kidding aside, make sure the transitions are smooth. Going from one time sig to another is not hard as long as the lead in is on beat, but going from one key to another may require a little knowledge in theory to make the transition smoother.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
i often throw pre-chorus's in where there is just very melodic instruments.
Try starting the song with what could be the chorus... then hit them with another chorus that really is the chorus! Then do your verse/chorus thing... then bridge.... then try a CODA (the beginnin of the song altered a little bit - maybe a key change a full step up or something like that).
Quote by sabbathu
then try a CODA (the beginnin of the song altered a little bit - maybe a key change a full step up or something like that).

A coda could be that. It could be anything. Technically, a Coda is just another word for 'ending section' and is not typically a rehash of another verse, chorus, bridge, etc.

Pre-choruses can be awesome. They really help to make your song flow from the verse and into the chorus, bringing the energy level up for the chorus, but keeping the transition smooth.

I like to structure the intro of the song to include at least a 'nod' or a 'tease' of the killer catchy chorus melody - just to set the mood and grab them in.

The first ten seconds of the song is the most important.... if you don't have the listener fully engaged by at least the 20 second mark, they're already starting to tune you out.

Milk your hooks for all they're worth. There's a saying in advertising that a thirty second commercial should say the name of the product or company at least seven times. Think about *that* when you're arranging!

Don't fall into the 'guitarist-songwriter' trap of feeling like every song needs a solo.

Don't be afraid to use three chords. Or even two....

Don't fall into the 'I know a bunch of chords so I'm going to wow you by using a zillion of them in one song' trap.

The simpler the music, the more the listener will focus on the vocal, which is where your lyrics are (obviously), as well as your killer catchy melodies (ie. your hooks) The average listener responds WAY more to vocal hooks than catchy guitar riffs and technical solos.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Aug 12, 2008,
Verse, Pre-Chorus, Chorus, Verse, Pre-Chorus, Chorus, Bridge or Breakdown (I prefer a good bass breakdown), a good old-fashioned guitar solo, Pre-Chorus, Chorus outro. That's a good basic metal song structure, and depending on the desired length of the song or two parts that don't sound good together so u decide to make two solos or sumtin like that just b creative