having some issues here. im using a presonus firestudio with cubase le 4 on my laptop with windows vista - no flaming.
ok. first issue is that when i'm not playing i can here electronic noises coming from the computer through the monitors. it doesn't actually come in on the recordings, it's just annoying and i was hoping to find a way to stop that.
second issue is that when i play music through the firestudio via windows media player or any other media player it freezes. the music will play for a few seconds and then just stop playing. don't know why, sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't but i don't know how to keep it from doing that.
third and most recent issue is that when i'm trying to record it will record for a few seconds and then stop. don't know why this started either.

any help is appreciated
Sorry, I can't help much since I am new to Cubase 4LE, but I did experience the same thing with Media Player... I had to quit Cubase in order for it to work. If cubase is running, Media Player wont play my file at all....
well. i don't have that issue. it plays. it will work even if cubase is running. it just freezes if i have the firestudio plugged in
About your last problem... the one with Cubase....

Do you have your transport set up to stop recording when it hits the right marker... as in doing a punch in? Unclick the 'punch out' button on the transport bar, or move the locator to the end of the song.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
About your last problem... the one with Cubase....

Do you have your transport set up to stop recording when it hits the right marker... as in doing a punch in? Unclick the 'punch out' button on the transport bar, or move the locator to the end of the song.

CT

im pretty sure i don't have it set up that way. it isn't discriminatory to where i start recording. no matter where i start it will start to record there and then stop a few seconds later. i'll check it out though. any other advice if that's not the case?
have you tried updating to the latest drivers from PreSones's site?

To me it sounds like a driver issue...
but I've never heard of any of these issues before.

I am really at a loss on a fix for this one, you may want to try emailing PreSonus and see if they can do anything to help.

btw try using balanced cables to stop the buzzing, and if you still have that problem try to lift the ground at one of the the cable.
Last edited by moody07747 at Aug 13, 2008,
Wow, that's a tough one, like Moody said, it really does sound like a driver issue, but I can't really think of an effective way to narrow the problem down any further than that, sorry man, I've never dealt with anything like this before, it's really strange.
I'm the new king
I taste the queen
In here we are all anemic
In here, anemic and sweet
First basic steps would be Windows Update and driver updates. See if that clears it up and let us know.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
I second getting new drivers. For the first one, it could be the hum from an AC channel. There are two ways about this...1. Power Conditioning, 2. Ground loop killing. To see if it's the case, try moving the power wires of your monitors and your Firestudio and seeing if the hum changes.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by Death-Speak
First basic steps would be Windows Update and driver updates. See if that clears it up and let us know.

i update windows on a daily basis. and yeah, i've tried updating the drivers for presonus through windows but i haven't tried updating through presonus' site. i'll give that a shot and get back.
ok. downloaded drivers from the presonus site last night and so far so good. media player is working with the firestudio and cubase is working fine for right now anyway. hopefully everything will keep working.

Quote by Fast_Fingers
I second getting new drivers. For the first one, it could be the hum from an AC channel. There are two ways about this...1. Power Conditioning, 2. Ground loop killing. To see if it's the case, try moving the power wires of your monitors and your Firestudio and seeing if the hum changes.

ok. trying to understand the concept here. are they basically "noise gates" for computers? i've moved the cables and things didn't get better so i don't think it is the cables.

thanks to everybody that helped out. you have all been a great help!!

EDIT: ok. been recording for a while. cubase still messes up and freezes.
Last edited by vjferrara at Aug 14, 2008,
Hmmm... this might be beyond the scope of any of us here. Have you tried the Cubase forum at www.cubase.net?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
just wanted to let everyone know i fixed the last two problems!!

for media player, i found an update for the firestudio off of presonus' site. downloaded it and so far so good.
for cubase i needed the update for the firestudio AND an update for cubase. evidently i haven't been the only person with this problem because there is a fix that steinburg has made for it and i downloaded it too.

i still haven't messed with the first problem though.

so, if you see anyone else with the trouble that i've had just tell them to do what i have done and they shouldn't have any more problems

thanks for all the help guys!!
Last edited by vjferrara at Aug 17, 2008,