Page 1 of 8
After deliberating whether I should go ahead and try this thread out, I said what the hell,and Bo said it was cool as well lol.

The point of this thread:

simply, What is your concept on what great metal is made of? Why do you ______ this sort of metal, why do you love_______ metal. Do you need to vent over something that has been bothering you about a certain genre or band or fan? Are you confused what the hell _______ metal is. Come into this thread to discuss various aspects of metal, throw any topic into the ring.

Now lets try to keep this civilized! Try to abstain from name calling, no matter how different your opinions are and also try not to spam it up.

For instance I have always been someone who has believed in melody over technicality in Metal. Most metal is technical enough, I personally am not impressed with sweeping upon sweeping and 220 bpm double bass beats. I mean its crazy and skillful, but it doesn't grab my ear. I've been a strong believer that a groove solo and some awesome riffs give a song much more character then MOST technicality. Technicality has that shock factor but for me it wears thin. Like if I hear a Necrophagist song its like " Holy Crap......3...2...1" ok cool but wheres the song?

Which do you guys prefer: Technicality or simplistic melody
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Alright, I'm going to say I think Necrophagist is one of the only tech bands that writes actual songs.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Oh and GoodCharloteSux, have you heard any Blotted Science? They're instrumental tech death but not overly wanky, more about odd signatures and the such.
This entire thread is subjective of course, buuuutttttt.......

MY view on what makes good metal is passion. Be it aggression, emotion, innovation, whatever. I can smell bullshit in a song a mile away and it sickens me. Too many bands strive on being the most brutal or heaviest around and end up sounding like crappy deathcore.

Also, 99% of bands who try the 'smyphonic prog black metal' thing get it horribly wrong.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Theres a big difference in types of melody.... bands like Anata use melody in a different way to In Flames per se, it sounds a lot less cheesy.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by UncleCthulhu
Oh and GoodCharloteSux, have you heard any Blotted Science? They're instrumental tech death but not overly wanky, more about odd signatures and the such.

Nah, never have, I'll definitely check it out. Especially since I've been trying to listen to more stuff with abstract time signatures.
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
Nah, never have, I'll definitely check it out. Especially since I've been trying to listen to more stuff with abstract time signatures.

Do it.

Jarzombek + Webster + Zeleny = eargasm
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
What is technicality worth, when it sounds like horse's ass?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by ..NEM..
Do it.

Jarzombek + Webster + Zeleny = eargasm

Hell yeah, though to be honest I'd like to hear versions of their songs with the guitars muted because Webster is such a good bassist I reckon the songs would still stand up.
Quote by UncleCthulhu
Hell yeah, though to be honest I'd like to hear versions of their songs with the guitars muted because Webster is such a good bassist I reckon the songs would still stand up.

Well you can still distinguish the bass a little bit, but still, yeah. It would be cool to see. I think the tone Webster has is if you transformed the sound from when you chop through meat and bones with an axe into a bass.

Quote by darkstar2466
What is technicality worth, when it sounds like horse's ass?

Music is in the ears of the listener.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
Last edited by ..NEM.. at Aug 12, 2008,
Great metal is made by one of three things:

Innovation, Feelings, Surroundings.

Innovation: Bands like Sabbath are amazing because they innovated. They are a good band, but they wouldn't be nearly as high in my books if they hadn't been one of the bands who created metal. Carcass are amazingly great, to me, because they innovated not one, but two major metal genres. -This is only considering innovation, not the band themselves-

Feelings: Some bands were either enraged, distraught, or saddened enough to make quality metal. Take the band Agalloch for example, very melancholic music. I'm simply assuming Mr. Anderson and Mr. Haughm didn't have amazing lives because great music is made through distressed minds. In the enraged category, the second wave of black metal was formed simply to un-moshify metal, determined to fight against Earache.

Surroundings: This ties into the previous, but should be considered on its own as well. Some bands made aggressive music because of their surroundings. Like Death, they had a warm happy, sunny surrounding in Florida. But, they decided to make abrasive thrash metal because of all of the happy Floridan movements of hippie rock. Another is Polish Death/Black metal. Poland was/is one of the most religiously overzealous countries in the world, thus bands like Behemoth, Hate, and Vader were formed as rebellion against the Polish Zealotry.

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Slaytanic1993

Surroundings: This ties into the previous, but should be considered on its own as well. Some bands made aggressive music because of their surroundings. Like Death, they had a warm happy, sunny surrounding in Florida. But, they decided to make abrasive thrash metal because of all of the happy Floridan movements of hippie rock. Another is Polish Death/Black metal. Poland was/is one of the most religiously overzealous countries in the world, thus bands like Behemoth, Hate, and Vader were formed as rebellion against the Polish Zealotry.

Leviathan and Xasthur make Suicidal Black Metal in sunny California.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Quote by The Evil Hat
Leviathan and Xasthur make Suicidal Black Metal in sunny California.

Scott Connor can turn Santa Barbara into the third circle of hell.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Obviously those three things don't apply to everyone.

Quote by eggsandham2
Quote by Stranglehold
MY view on what makes good metal is passion. Be it aggression, emotion, innovation, whatever. I can smell bull**** in a song a mile away and it sickens me. Too many bands strive on being the most brutal or heaviest around and end up sounding like crappy deathcore.

This. Emotionally moving music requires that the musician actually be inspired. Something has to happen, whether it be something that happens to them personally or something that happens elsewhere that touches a nerve, that influences the way they see things or changes/reaffirms an attitude and thus inspires them to create music that reflects that. It could be something huge and life-altering, or it could be something relatively insignificant; what matters is if the artist's response is genuine. If it is, then the music always turns out better. If not, it comes out stale and boring.
^That necessarily doesn't mean its good. Too much raw emotion and life experience can be bad, for instance created St. Anger.... It seemed genuine, just wasn;t good though.
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
^That necessarily doesn't mean its good. Too much raw emotion and life experience can be bad, for instance created St. Anger.... It seemed genuine, just wasn;t good though.

That's because Bob Rock ruined it.
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Alright, I'm going to say I think Necrophagist is one of the only tech bands that writes actual songs.

Anata, Gorod, Spawn of Possession, Suffocation, Yattering, Iniquity.....
The Kovenant of Terror, Marshal of the Legion of Metal.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)
Br00tal, Terror Kovenant=metal's king

Quote by Scourge441
That's because Bob Rock ruined it.

He did have a VERY influential hand in how bad that album did turn out. We all saw the way he guilt tripped Kirk into not playing solo's. I do think it was a therapeutic album for the group though.
Quote by Terror Kovenant

ONE OF the only.

Not the only.

Vast difference those two words make.

Quote by eggsandham2
Quote by Slaytanic1993
ONE OF the only.

Not the only.

Vast difference those two words make.

I was adding!

Besides, whenever Necrophagist are mentioned I can't help but list bands that are better

Quote by GID (Shamrock)

Quote by Terror Kovenant

They write songs?

=/
Quote by Terror Kovenant

Adding Demilich, and Martyr.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by The Virtuoso

Demilich is win. I need to check out Martyr.

Also, Quo Vadis.
^ I'm a big fan of Defiant Imagination. One of the best Melodic Death Metal albums ever.
Arsis has great melody, and is technical.

Quote by Slaytanic1993

+1. They do get repetitive after a while, but I love to listen to them.

I am currently learning Foul Body Autoposy. I have heard that it's the easiest song by them, but it's still hard to play at full speed.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Aug 12, 2008,
Isis's Panopticon is my favorite album ever, and it exemplifies nearly everything I love about metal and music in general. It creates a beautiful, expansive atmosphere, and has masterful range and control over its own dynamics. Every single note is perfectly placed and it NEVER becomes boring, and it flows effortlessly but noticeably between brutal and melodic. I just ****ing love that album. Never gets old.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
I'm not particularly bothered by melody or technicality. Metal should be, primarily, mood music.
Quote by The Virtuoso

The bands I mentioned rape Demilich. and I'm not talking about the "haha you got raped" kind of rape. I'm talking about the "damn, you got raped" rape. Rape.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)

^You're crazy TK, granted the bands you mentioned are great, Demilich are great too, at least I think so. And where the hell have you been man?
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
I believe he's in teh military.

Quote by eggsandham2
^Ah yeah, you're right Slay, forgot about that.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Quote by The Virtuoso
^You're crazy TK, granted the bands you mentioned are great, Demilich are great too, at least I think so. And where the hell have you been man?

No, I was spot on, as always. and I said rape 6 times in a post.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
I believe he's in teh military.

^that, among other things.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)

Quote by Terror Kovenant
The bands I mentioned rape Demilich. and I'm not talking about the "haha you got raped" kind of rape. I'm talking about the "damn, you got raped" rape. Rape.

Wrong wrong wrong wrong oh so fucking wrong. The bands you mentioned are great, but Demilich are a league in their own. Listen to Nespithe again.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
I say atmosphere.

For example, to me, Cynic creates an atmosphere of some kind of outer worldly celestial mindf**k, Voivod creates an atmosphere that makes me think I'm going to be vivisected by machines bent on world domination, Agalloch creates a very melochony, emotional atmosphere, Spawn of Possession creates an atmosphere like being possessed by satan himself, etc etc etc.
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
^ I'm a big fan of Defiant Imagination. One of the best Melodic Death Metal albums ever.

Have you heard their live album? I think it's better than the three studio albums put together.

EDIT: Tech Death that rapes:

Antonio Vivaldi
Beneath the Massacre
Decrepit Birth
Gorod
Odious Mortem
Origin
Theory in Practice
Last edited by P1ayingW1thF1re at Aug 12, 2008,