Ok, I know that the correct way to hold the guitar neck would be with your thumb not parralel to the skunk stripe area or with it over the side. But when my play, my thumb jus slides to going parallel with the neck because thats what i though was correct before i started lessons. How can I train my self to play with my thumb "perpindicular" to the neck. Please help. Thanks in advance
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
TAPE IT TO THE NECK. Keep that sucker locked.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Actually when playing classical the thumb should be parallel to the neck, there is no "correct" place to have your thumb when playing, it should be comfortable. Remember, its art, not science.
Native Pride

Better to reign in hell

Member of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join, luthier's only
Member of The Future Embrace, UG's Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins fan club. PM musiclover2399 to join .
Quote by opticon
Actually when playing classical the thumb should be parallel to the neck, there is no "correct" place to have your thumb when playing, it should be comfortable. Remember, its art, not science.

this
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
learn to watch your hand. and unless its affecting how you play, i dont see a big deal in it
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
i love me some bunnys

--> --> --> -->

Anybody up for a WookieCore Band? You let me know.

Watch me as i Rock on...
In my lessons my teascher prefers that i play this way though, I just wanted to know how to do it, not other options please.

Was that serious Cliff because I suppose that would work if i only had to play in one position. Just wodering if that would actually get me more used to playing this way.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by opticon
Remember, its art, not science.

Notes are the art, technique is science. Biomechanics to be exact.

Maybe you need to grip the neck a little less tightly so your thumb can slide over the neck without dragging behind. Remember: your thumb shouldn't be doing the work when you're fretting; the power should come from your fingers themselves, not your thumb or anywhere else.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
To be truthful, I hold the neck differantly depending on what it is I am playing. Sometimes I need more reach so my thumb might be lower in the back of the neck.
When I need a barre or rooted 5th, I might have my thumb over the top of the neck so I can keep the pressure on.

I can understand an instructor wanting you to do it "his/her way" but you have to be comfortible when you play so to each his/her own .

Chris
Zaph and shadow those both helped slightly so thanks but it still happens so more suggestions please...
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
The best I can say at this point is sometimes, with this instrument, you have to just practice until what you are trying to achieve becomes natural.

I think that is the key here Make that a goal, one of MANY you should have. You have to have a goal in mind if you want to do this learning in a systematic way. Otherwise, you will wonder mindlessly throughout your endeavor frustrated the whole time I'm afaid.

Hope this helps.

Chris