This is a REALLY odd tone. Its a live recording of XTC, one of the songs their keyboard player wrote. I know its not the best song ever nor the best performance ever, but thats not relevant - what i want to know is if anyone can give me any pointers on how to get a tone like this?

http://www.esnips.com/doc/8600a51c-d49a-425a-a500-4216d8fea775/Super-Tuff-Kant-Kino

Apparently its a Gibson Les Paul into a Marshall 100w Super Lead with what sounds like a flanger - but i can't think how he manages to get such a thin, scratchy tone out of that gear. Their sound engineer from that time has uploaded this because he has a load of old tapes - i've asked him already and he didn't remember (it was 30 years ago!).

I love that tone, but the guitarist himself is always vague about his gear saying "gear is irrelevant, good gear won't make you sound good if you can't play the guitar in the first place" and the only clue i've had is that his Ibanez Artist had a phase switch and he used to use that, but i also found out that by then that ibanez was smashed or stolen or something and he was using a Gibson LP.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Check out the Ibanez LF7

thats funny you should say that, i'm planning on heading out to this shop thats about 15 miles out of town tomorrow to get some more springs for my strat trem, and i think they have one in there. I'll definitely check it out if they have it, although i think the tone is some kind of phase switching in the guitar - maybe parallel humbucking? although he wasn't the kind of person who'd bother modding guitars. edit: also it can't be parallel humbucking because he managed to get a similarly scratchy tone out of a fender bronco which just has a single coil in the bridge position.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Wow, that is an odd tone (for a Les Paul + Marshall super lead).

If he was indeed using an LP for that song (might have borrowed a different guitar), then maybe it was his pickups? Maybe some odd P90?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I think it is classic marshall overdriven super lead head with an Ibanez Lo-Fi pedal on it.... i think it will work wonders...
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
I think it is classic marshall overdriven super lead head with an Ibanez Lo-Fi pedal on it.... i think it will work wonders...

I don't think ibanez made a lo-fi pedal in 1978, but it could work to achieve something similar.

I don't think it is a guitar with P-90s but it does sound VERY P-90ish. It sounds like its either an out of phase or parallel humbucker. I think i'm gonna experiment with my cheapy epi les paul junior by getting a cheapish 4-wire humbucker and just playing around.

Quote by Blompcube
I don't think ibanez made a lo-fi pedal in 1978, but it could work to achieve something similar.

I don't think it is a guitar with P-90s but it does sound VERY P-90ish. It sounds like its either an out of phase or parallel humbucker. I think i'm gonna experiment with my cheapy epi les paul junior by getting a cheapish 4-wire humbucker and just playing around.

Keep us updated!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Ok - i was going to the shop to get 2 more springs for my strat (relevant to another thread) and while i was there i tried the LF7.

It was close but not close enough unfortunately. It had the same kind of honky, restricted tonal quality to it, but it lacked the percussive scratching attack. I used a Gibson Les Paul, through the LF7, unfortunately into a line 6 spider III. It was quite convincing on 'crunch' (more like lego land than a crunch tone), but i'd have to see if my VC30 can give the same sharp scratchy pick attack to know whether its what i'm looking for.

On the other hand i'll experiment with series/parallel/phased humbucking when i get the chance, but i don't think my JR has a 4-wire humbucker as stock.

Try it with your VC.
The spider III isn't good at picking up attack and dynamics, etc.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
FOr sure, I think the only thing you needed in that loop was a better amp....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Update:

I have spoken to their old sound tech guy, and he told me it wasn't a les paul/marshall combination - he used les pauls mostly but had a different guitar for scratchy tones, but that guitar was stolen in amsterdam, and the amp was a solid state H+H combo. he also used a wah pedal left full tilt, and a 10-band graphic EQ with the treble range boosted. I can't imagine how it sounded at higher volumes... but nobody seemed to complain about excessive treble. i'm guessing he had the post-gain EQ dialed in nicely enough for it not to hurt peoples ears.

From the "stolen in amsterdam" info, i managed to find out it was a Guild S50 modded with an additional pickup in the bridge position (it just has a middle pickup in its stock form), which was wired out of phase with the stock pickup.

Well that solves it!
So, you still want to get that tone?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
Well that solves it!
So, you still want to get that tone?

i might actually be needing that tone now because i've been told about a tribute band forming - i might get in, but its unlikely, because the fanboyish types who go to see the tribute bands hate me, i'm public enemy number 3, in their eyes.

but the sound tech is gonna recommend me to them - his word above everyone elses, seems to be the rule with these fanboys. they are the type who will try to kill you if you say anything negative about anything XTC have ever done, or anything a tribute band have ever done - as i figured out for myself...

Last edited by Blompcube at Aug 17, 2008,