hello i need help choosing a high end high gain tube amplifier.
my budget is around 1500

im looking for something that will have decent enough cleans for ska/reggae/garage rock, and enough overdrive to do modern rock/hard rock, punk, grunge, and MAYBE some metalcore/hardcore ect

i was looking at marshall jcm 900's, peavey 6505's, and bugera 6262 (i heard it was like a more versatile 6505), but i am mainly starting this thread for recommendations.

ill be playing with an ibanez s520 with d-activators and a gibson sg. ill get an overdrive pedal and an eq pedal regardless of what i choose.
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
bugera 6262
no doubt about it.
people say it isnt high end but its a great amp and as long as you dont damage it besides the normal "wear and tear" things it should be fine.
Quote by caskettheclown
bugera 6262
no doubt about it.
people say it isnt high end but its a great amp and as long as you dont damage it besides the normal "wear and tear" things it should be fine.

Its not considered high end because they are cheaply built and thus have reliability issues beyond "user damage."
Mesa Dual Rec
Quote by deathbat831
.........oh wow.
Eddy 372, im nominating you badass of UG
Quote by disturbed_n_wv
I believe thats the best looking Explorer I've ever seen, I did think they were all ugly until i seen that one Eddy372 good choice.

Well really there are many options in that price range, you may not be able to buy a half stack if you go new, but with that much you should be able to get somthing that will fit you nicly if you go used. A Peavey 6505 are good Metal amps, that are really only great for hard rock and metal, they can do other tones but the massive OD and the lack luster of the clean channel really limits the amp verssatilty. but you should be able to get that amp new. Another option would be a Peavey JSX or Triple XXX, both are simalar amps, with the JSX being more versatile, both have three very usuable channels that can cover EVH-to modren high gain metal, and the cleans on both of these amps are decent. You could go with a new combo, or head, but have to find a cab, used they are both well with in your budget. Another Option is a Mesa Boogie daul Rectifer, great amps with tons of versatilty, good for any type of music, great for metal if you like a looser gain tone, these amps are similar to the Triple XXX and JSX, but you would have to look for a used one for sure, and still IDK if you would have enough for a decent cab.
Others to Concider
Mesa F Series
Mesa Mark IV
Splawn Nitro
Marshall JCM 800 with OD pedal
Orange Rocker 30/rockerverb 50
Peavey Ultras, "similar to the XXX/JSX"
Genz Benz El-Diablo
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Carvin V3
900 bucks

leaves enough to get a decent cab at your budget

ixnay the costs of shipping and a footswitch

I forgot the total i paid for mine, but i know i'm not planning to sell it anytime soon, it's too freaking amazing, just gotta know how to tweak it.
i will be definantly going used, sorry for not mentioning that.
im looking into the jsx and xxx amps. is there much difference between the two?

and what does ug think about orange amps?
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
Quote by impeachpedro10
i will be definantly going used, sorry for not mentioning that.
im looking into the jsx and xxx amps. is there much difference between the two?

and what does ug think about orange amps?

good amps, not for what your looking for IMO.

pick five from all these suggestions, and go to guitar center and play them
(believe me, i was in the same spot last year)

and then come back and tell us what you think!
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
Look at a Peavey XXX or JSX... phenomenal cleans and distortion from both.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Really the main difference between the Triple XXX and JSX is the crunch channel on the JSX is little more user friendly with dialing in lower gain tones, also the lose normal and tight switch is adjustable on each channel where as the Triple XXX has one switch thats shared by all the channels, which is okay because the loose is the only channel I like, also the JSX comes with EL-34 and the Triple XXX With 6l6s both amps can use ether tube but thats what comes stock. The JSX>XXX but only by a thin margin both amps are awesome.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Go for a Carvin V3
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
okay. thanks for all the input, unfortunately i wont be able to get to a guitar store for a while....

heres a new list-
-jcm 900
-jsx
-carvin v3? (i know very little about this amp)

and could somebody recommend me an orange to try? i've heard they're kinda like marshalls but with better cleans
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
you could find used oranges within your price range:
rocker 30, rockerverb 50/100, thunderverb 50/200. not sure if they'd specialize in metalcore, but they'd do well in just about everything else.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
If you like to get a good clean sound, I highly recommend an Orange Rocker 30. I just love the sound of those... pure tube power.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by impeachpedro10

-carvin v3? (i know very little about this amp)

They are great amps, 100 watts tube and very versitile with 3(or is it 4?) channels. You could get one new within your budget, but that doesnt mean they are worse than any of the other amps suggested in this thread.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
okay great thanks. my budget is very loose, im open to any recommendations

-carvin v3: from what i see/hear on youtube, im really digging it. really good cleans, and gets super heavy.

-jsx: i kinda get the same jist from the carvin as i do this one. i dont know if this is irrational or not though, but i am pretty turned off that it is a signature amp. i try to stay away from those models, nothing against the amp itself, but i would feel weird with someone elses name on it.

-orange rocker/rockverb: not really what im looking for i think....ill try one if i can find one though

and any thoughts on the jcm 900?
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
^If an Orange isn't what you're looking for, then a Marshall certainly isn't.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I don't really like the JCM900, it sounds a little too weak and fizzy to me. Just my opinion.

Also, do your best to try the actual amps first, tone is one thing, but the feel and dynamics of a tube amp are equally important.
okay thanks for your help
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
Last edited by impeachpedro10 at Aug 15, 2008,