I love my epi vj's cleans. but whenever i use my guv'nor or grunge w/ it, it sounds very, very muddy and there is hardly any distortion compared to my SS Marshall. Any ideas why?
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Quote by Ghold125
what's your eq look like?

there is no eq. just a volume knob.
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
its the level out on the pedal too high? might be feeding too much signal to the preamp section. might be putting too much bass on the pedal too
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
its the level out on the pedal too high? might be feeding too much signal to the preamp section. might be putting too much bass on the pedal too

no, the bass isn't even on half. the guv'nor sounds really good with the dist. cranked and the volume WAY down. but i still haven't figured out the grunge.
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Will I need an EQ pedal?
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
try to keep the distortion lower. like the level knob around 12 o'clock and the distortion knob around 9 or 10 o'clock and work from there. you don't need to peg the distortion on the on the pedals with the VJ. remember the tubes on the vj are breaking up and adding distortion.
Last edited by mmjohn at Aug 12, 2008,
^ exactly, you should be keeping the distortion lower and the volume way up. keep in mind you should also be cranking the VJ for that saturated overdrive.
I have a little Epi with extension cab and added a Weber attenuator with tone-stack to brighten up the sound a little. I am also running a Boss OD-20 Drive Zone and that helps too.

What I have found with SS vs tube is....pedals can sound good with your SS and sound like mud with the tube and vise-versa. I would definately get an EQ pedal or a Weber attenuator to help. I found my Weber to not only keep the volumes at practice levels but it acts as a great noise gate as well.

Chris