Ok so a few of my friends and I are trying to start a band, the problem is that we can't really find time to practice, we've been trying for almost a month and haven't been able to get a practice in with the whole band (it's a pretty big band - 7 people). First, for starting to practice, do you think we should still practice if one or two people cant make it? because we're just starting out and I feel like if we practiced without someone it would kind of leave them behind the rest of us. Also, once we do actually start practicing, do you think it would be a good idea to just have a set day each week or something to practice so that people can make plans around it?
any time youre not doing anything call everyone and play. All the time. Any time you don't have something going on, make it a point to play. It doesn't really matter if all 7 people are there either, you'll probably end up with 3 other people who actually want to play music.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
Deffinately have a set day, and there only allowed to not show up for two reasons 1, they're dead, 2. there at a family thing. and IMO i say practice together for the first few practices, but if someone can't make it then fill then in at the next practice, but try not to let this go on too often
Why the hell do you have 7 members in your band anyways? I would kick out the useless members unless you need all of them or the members that can never seem to make it... Cause its almost achieveing a slipknot sized band, which is stupid unless its 100% needed.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
its not a metal band like slipknot its a ska band we have bass (me), drums, gutair, trombone, trumpet, bari sax, and alto sax. that's not terribly large for a ska band. and i don't think kicking someone out would do much good. someones just usually busy like working or something, so if we have a few practices with everyone first, maybe once in a while we can leave someone out if we have to
For the short term, if not everyone can make it, I would practice with everyone who can make it and try to accomplish whatever you can. Then on a seperate day, you can meet w/ everyone else, go over what you accomplished the previous day, and they can contribute song ideas (original or cover) and you can get their feedback on what you did the previous day. In the long term though, I would have everyone agree to a set day and time every week to practice.
It's all about dedication I'm afraid.
The way it usualy works is that the new band has a meeting, decides what is the best day and time all round for everyone to meet up and practice, then stick to it. It is then up to everyone else to make time for rehearsals.
Fair enough, there are good reasons for not making it to rehearsals, such as family stuff, but people who make a habit of not showing are wasting your time and their's.
A good way to ensure that people are consistant with turning up to rehearsals is to hire a rehearsal place and agree to share the cost between the entire band, regardless of whether someone turns up or not.
If you have to pay for a rehearsal even if you're not actualy there, it kinda encourages you to make sure you do make it to rehearsals regularly rather than waste your money.

Cash, it's a great motivator.
Practice with what you got. Whoever shows up.... The useless will whittle themselves out and who knows, you may end up with a band of only 3-4 people. But at least you will know they'll be dedicated. That, and you may come up with a new sound or feel from the norm you were doing with 7 people.
Quote by Axe Murderer
Practice with what you got. Whoever shows up.... The useless will whittle themselves out and who knows, you may end up with a band of only 3-4 people. But at least you will know they'll be dedicated. That, and you may come up with a new sound or feel from the norm you were doing with 7 people.

That's a damn good point.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
That's a damn good point.

yeah that really is a point, and actually the guy who was gonna play trumpet with us just basically dropped out so now we're down to 6, and i think everyone who's left is pretty committed.
Just do practices regardless of who turns up, and you will soon see who the dedicated ones are. Then you can tell the others to either get there act together or not bother. You don't want to be dropping members left right and centre though - more brass = more awesomeness.
you could also do some practices of just horn/rhythm section if full band practices all the time seem prohibitive