I'm doing a piece for my Grade 8 bass and the time signature is 15/8, I'm wondering how I could count it. I can play the main themes fine but I can't improvise in it without losing the beat.

So how could I count it?
TO = used for expressing motion or direction toward a point, person, place, or thing approached and reached, as opposed to from

TWO = the number 2

TOO = in addition; also; furthermore; to an excessive extent or degree
Count it as 5/4 in triplet form.

1 2 3 2 2 3 3 2 3 4 2 3 5 2 3
Last edited by sakura'sdarkest at Aug 12, 2008,
15/8... there are basically 5 beats to a measure, with 3 triplets to a beat.

In other words, it's just like playing triplets in 5/4.
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
hmm I tried that but it doesnt seem to work. The piece doesn't really have a triplet feel it seems more straight. Is there another possible way to count it?
TO = used for expressing motion or direction toward a point, person, place, or thing approached and reached, as opposed to from

TWO = the number 2

That's the easiest way to count it. Maybe check your tempo and playing? That's the only thing that might be messing it up.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by dwnbowden
hmm I tried that but it doesnt seem to work. The piece doesn't really have a triplet feel it seems more straight. Is there another possible way to count it?

i play drums and i song i played with my band make yourself by incubus is 15/8 and i counted its as 1 bar of 8 and 1 bar of 7
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
a time signature doesn't tell you the meter... it may or may not be 5 beats split into 3.. it could be anything

look at the way the notes are beamed
15/8 could be divided so many different ways. I'd have to hear the song to see how it is split up.
Mr. Allan wrote:
This is like saying you're not allowed to jerk off over the girl next door unless you have a license and written permission from her. Which, of course, is bullsh*t
"what ever happened to jazz " the scores to the bass and guitar part have notes grouped together differently .
try counting a bar of 4/4 followed by a bar of 7/8 for the coda
for the main section try counting 2/4 2/4 2/4 then 6/16 !
also check the bar of 4/4 leading out of the coda riff to the main riff , im pretty sure this is infact 15/8 .
if you find this info useful please let me know !
with time signatures you look to see if its standard time (divisible by two) and the count it in twos eg 8/8 = 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and and so on
if its compound(divisible by 3) eg 6/8 = 1and uh 2 and uh 3 and uh...
if its odd (not divisible by either) and count in twos and threes eg
7/8 = 1 and 2 and 3 and uh

yours is 15/8 which is divisible by three so 1 and uh 2 and uh 3 and uh 4 and uh 5 and uh...

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Count in 5/4 but with triplets. That would be the obvious answer. However, 15/8 is an unusual meter, so the feel may be more complex than just that.

Check what the rest of the band is doing, especially the drummer.
^ +1

chances are the beats are felt out in groupings of 5 or 3 evenly. every once in a while a band like tool will come along and have funky groupings but thats not usually the case.

bgc, you have returned
Thanks for your help I've worked it out now.

It's basically two bars of 4/4 with a quaver chopped off at the end. So its like a bar of 4/4 and then a bar of 7/8.

It works to count it like that because the piece doesn't have a triplet feel.

TWO = the number 2

i'd say 12 3 4 2 2 3 4 3 2 3 4 4 2 3

Its just 4/4 missing a sixteeneth note.
My sig used to be so awesome it got me banned
Quote by Your_Dad
i'd say 12 3 4 2 2 3 4 3 2 3 4 4 2 3

Its just 4/4 missing a sixteeneth note.

that'd be 15/16
Quote by inflatablefilth
that'd be 15/16

oh yeah.

I guess I mean that it would feel like counting in 4/4 minus a sixteenth note.
My sig used to be so awesome it got me banned