Well, GB&C dwellers, I have a new project. And I am going to follow through with this project, unlike my last 4.

It all started last winter when I bought a MIM strat with a rosewood fretboard. Ew, rosewood I thought, but for $120, I couldn't turn it down. Later, I bought a guitarfetish closeout neck for $40. Little did I know you were supposed to be knowledgeable enough to know how to shave and level the heel so it fit. With no tools at my disposal, it failed. I also added superstrat wiring at this time, 3 toggles for each pickup, on, off, phase. Then it went in the closet until a few weeks ago...

I've been looking for a new guitar (strat style) but haven't found any I really like. Then it hit me.

Assemble it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (thanks Ippon)

So now here's where I stand:

Body:
Black MIM strat
Bridge: MIM Strat with upgraded graphtech saddles
Pickups: Rockmonkeyguitars
Neck: custom order from Musikraft
Electronics: CTS pots, cloth wire, and Mallory caps + Switch craft output jack
Tuners: Klusons

(this part will be updated)
8/12/08:
need to order neck, pickups, electronics, saddles , and other small hardware.

I hopefully will order electronics, saddles, hardware tonight and pickups this week. Neck will have to wait until I can find out what fretboard radius/neck shape I like best

Now, onto my questions
1. What are the advantages of semi rolled/heavily rolled fretboard edges?
2. Pearloid or White pickguard?
3. What difference do staggered pole pieces make?

Total cost for project (estimates)
Neck: $400
Pickups: $200
Electronics/hardware: $100
Complete setup from luthier: $200

$900. Much better than the $1500 I was about to spend on a strat.

Picture time! I'll add more of what I have later

Pearloid or White?

Last edited by s.r.v. at Aug 12, 2008,
I have a pearloid pickguard on my strat, and I want to change it out for a white one.

Perhaps it's because I feel it would be a more simplified design, or maybe I'm just bored of staring at the same pickguard. Either way, I prefer the plain white pickguard
I have to admit, I love the look of a plain white pickguard. Especially on a black strat with a maple neck.
I'm looking to buy an Epi Valve Standard. If you've got one up for grabs in the Uk, PM me and let me know.
Pearloid
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
I prefer the pearloid.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.
well I don't currently have enough money for the pearloid, so white it is!

I'm off to order parts!
You should do a custom paint job. Black with white pickguard is so boring and used.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
I don't have the tools/space required to paint. So black it stays.

I just ordered the pickguard, pots, tremolo arm, string guide, jack, screws, nut blank, wire, and .047, .022, .1 caps to try in the guitar.
Quote by s.r.v.
BUILD IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Assemble it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, onto my questions
1. What are the advantages of semi rolled/heavily rolled fretboard edges?

*fixed*

Semi- vs. heavily-rolled fretboard edges have no distinct advantages - they fall more under preferences. Most Fender CS models or special orders will ask you the same thing.

Semi- gives you a comfortable and nicely-used feel. Heavily-rolled gives you a distinct feeling: "This beast has been gigged forever and is so comfortable ... the edges are rounder, simulating heavy usage.

Quote by Ippon
*fixed*

Semi- vs. heavily-rolled fretboard edges have no distinct advantages - they fall more under preferences. Most Fender CS models or special orders will ask you the same thing.

Semi- gives you a comfortable and nicely-used feel. Heavily-rolled gives you a distinct feeling: "This beast has been gigged forever and is so comfortable ... the edges are rounder, simulating heavy usage.

now it's fixed

I think I'll just stick to semi rolled. I'm going this week to find which fender neck shape I like the most. I think it's V, but I'm not sure
I'm on fender's website right now looking at which models have which neck. then off to GC and a local store this week to play every strat neck in sight
Agreed with custom paint job!

Agreed with black + white pickguard = boring!

But...I did have a black strat with white pickguard for many years and I loved her!!! But now she's full of colour and fun, and I still love her!!!

Good luck SRV
Quote by muikoma
Agreed with custom paint job!

Agreed with black + white pickguard = boring!

But...I did have a black strat with white pickguard for many years and I loved her!!! But now she's full of colour and fun, and I still love her!!!

Good luck SRV

Somebody shares my opinion! Hurrah!
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
If your spending money to upgrade it, you'll need a new nut for the new neck. I'd also recommend upgrading the trem block aswell...
yep got a nice bone nut blank from stewmac. But I don't use the trem, so I just lock it down with 5 springs. For everyone saying to repaint it, eventually when I have enough money I'm going to upgrade to a warmoth body with either a transparent, dye, or burst finish.
All I wanted to hear.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
glad everyone's happy

I think I want a soft V neck with a 12'' radius. I have to email musikraft and see what they think.

BTW, I played an EJ strat and it felt really stiff bending. Is that the strings, the radius of the neck, or something else?
I did a Strat with a black/white/black pickguard for a friend with dual humbuckers. It looked really killer when we were done. Just about everything is black on except the white line around the pickguard, and everyone says it looks really classy. I need to get a pic of it.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Here you go, I did it up in Kisekae:

All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
i've done all black with a chrome mirrored pickguard, but I didn't really like it. this is my final design:

I'm having difficulties with credit cards now, so everything is getting delayed. Hopefully it will all work out
Mojomusicalsupply order of pots, wire, caps, screws, and jack will be here tomorrow according to FedEx. I tried my credit card again at Stewmac, so as far as i know it's working.

I'm going to try to set up a paypal account today so I can order Rockmonkeyguitars pickups next week.
I decided to use my old pickguard, because it started to yellow and looks more old school. Later on, i might change to fresh white. The pictures don't show it because of the flahs, but it's now offwhite

Pots, caps, swithcraft jack, wire, and screws came in today. Here are some pictures:

EDIT: oh and i transfered money to my paypal so i can order nut, switch, trem arm, string retainers. Then, Monday or Tuesday I will be ordering my custom MUSIKRAFT Neck. I'm almost positive what I want, but I will go to guitar center to verify which neck shape/radius I like. I will also order pickups next week. woo! then i play the waiting game
Last edited by s.r.v. at Aug 15, 2008,
i think initials or my name on the headstock looks kinda weird, because I always see it saying fender. It looks wrong to me Too bad my last name isn't fender. If i wanted my name on it, I'd get it written across the fretboard then no one could steal it. I think for now blank is best
New question: I've been looking over wiring and was wondering if I should ground all the pots together? This is the diagram I'm using
http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/stratocaster/0117702A/SD0117702APg2.pdf
Here's what I understand: Ground wire from tremolo claw, output ground, all pickup grounds, and all backs of pots should be grounded to one point. Then, this said everything I mentioned but the middle (or bridge in my case) tone pot should be grounded together
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUSSS5L1201
Does it matter if I send the bridge tone pot casing to the ground?

also, is volume lug 2 still the hot output?
no interest i guess. If anyone's reading this, can you help me out?
I know this is a common mod: 5 way switch, master volume, 1 tone for middle/neck, 1 tone for bridge. I've heard this is what EJ does, so i'm going to use his wiring diagram
http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/stratocaster/0117702A/SD0117702APg2.pdf
only problem is, it doesn't look very complete. Should I ground the backs of all the pots together? I've already done this:

where the cap connects the volume to the middle/neck tone pot. Should i leave the bridge tone pot ungrounded? Thanks guys

also neck is being ordered tomorrow, pickups later this week
So should I ground all the pots together even though the diagram and this picture don't show them grounded together?

ordered the neck:
Total Custom One Pc Constructed Strat Neck (50's, 60's, CBS, Jazzmaster)
Options
Finish: Gloss Dark Tint Lacquer + $110
Custom Up-Charges: None
Back Profile: V to C .88 to .95
Nut Style: Fender Style Flat Bottom
Fret Size and Type: Medium 6105 .095 X .047
12th Dot Spacing: Wide 1.035 Pre 1964 Style
Finger Board Inlay Side Markers: Black
Finger Board Inlay Top: Black Phenolic
Finger Board Radius: 12"
Trussrod Option: Duel Acting Adjust at Heel
Tuner Hole Size: Kluson 11/32"
Neck Wood: Quarter Sawn Maple + $35
Heel Width: Standard Fender 2-3/16"
Nut Width: 1-5/8"
Number of Frets: 21 (Standard Fender)
Scale: 25-1/2" Standard Fender
Head Stock Orientation: Right for Right Handed Players
Head Shape: 50's Style
Additional Options: Semi Rolled Finger Board Edges, Kluson Style Tuners Installed + $60
Total: $414.79