Okay, I had a thread a while back about picking between and fretless and an 8-string, and I've decided to go for the fretless. But while cleaning out my room, I found my first bass (Ibanez JXB 190 4 string) and after putting some thought into it, I figured i might make it into an 8-string. BUT, I feel it's be smart to consult you guys first(as you know more than me).

So I ask you, is this possible?
I figure i could drill the holes for the tuners(i plan on using old guitar tuners) in the headstock. But would the pick-ups "pick-up" the extra strings?

thanks ALOT in advance guys and sorry for being a bit of a nuisance :P
YEAH
I'd be more conerned with the width of the neck more than anything. 8 string necks aren't THAT much wider than 4 string necks, but still, they are wide enough to incorporate those extra strings, while a standard 4 string neck may not. Then you have the bridge to worry about. Pickups wouldn't be a problem, but space on the headstock may be.
They would, but my concern is that there wouldn't be enough room for the extra strings. That, and it would require a good setup as well as a new bridge and nut. If it's a lower end bass, it might not hold up to all that extra tension.

EDIT: Dang, Ben beat me to it.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'd be more conerned with the width of the neck more than anything. 8 string necks aren't THAT much wider than 4 string necks, but still, they are wide enough to incorporate those extra strings, while a standard 4 string neck may not. Then you have the bridge to worry about. Pickups wouldn't be a problem, but space on the headstock may be.

hmm thats true.... would a warmoth neck fit on the ibanez? Last time I checked, they came bolt-on for the neck heel's of fenders....
YEAH
I'm sure if you work at it hard enough, you can pull it off. You already have an idea of what you want and you seem to be familiar with Warmoth to some extent, so you probably just need to make sure you get all the right equipment. Personally, I've never tried doing anything like that, but I bet you could do it with enough effort.
You'd need a new neck probably. 8 strings need stronger truss rods to deal with the extra strain, either a double acting one or dual truss rods.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
It will be quite a project for you, probably going to need a new neck. I saw a bass on ebay that had been 4 string converted into a 12, its definitely possible, a lot of work tho.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
well judging by the responses I got, I need a new neck....but will a warmoth one fit on the ibanez???
YEAH