Hi guys,Few days ago i asked my friends if i could join their band..Well they play punk and i sorta never played that style before Any suggestions for maybe scales that i need to practice or any particular songs that I might grab the technique out of?You dont see many punks around..

Quote by BigNose
I have one night stand next to my bed, I keep a glass of water on it!

BADOOM TCHH!

... I also float a little boat made of fail in it.

Make LOVE
*******NOT
*******WAR
They actually sent me a couple of songs..

young till i die by 7 seconds
cut my skin by deathrow

couldnt actually find the tab for the second one though..
I think they play more old school type

Quote by BigNose

BADOOM TCHH!

Make LOVE
*******NOT
*******WAR
Practice alternate picking, Barre/Power chords (A LOT), Palmuting (with alternate strumming)

And go buy a black flag/Minor Threat/Operation Ivy album
Thanks a lot for the replies..so far it seems that punk uses a lot of fast power progressions i guess...but ill keep in mind the odd beats too

Quote by BigNose

BADOOM TCHH!

Make LOVE
*******NOT
*******WAR
Yeah, the only _difficult_ part about playing punk IMO is getting down the picking patterns. Work on playing palm muted power chords (as eighth notes) with a metronome and build up speed. If you're feeling motivated, give galloping and triplets a try too (but remember to start slow).
Yeah they play real punk. Check out alot more 7 seconds, maybe even some of the unseen
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by silvadolla
Yeah, the only _difficult_ part about playing punk IMO is getting down the picking patterns. Work on playing palm muted power chords (as eighth notes) with a metronome and build up speed. If you're feeling motivated, give galloping and triplets a try too (but remember to start slow).

Thanks for the reply, but i think im missing something..never actually heard of galloping before..

Quote by l3p4rd
Yeah they play real punk. Check out alot more 7 seconds, maybe even some of the unseen

I met this band after telling the drummer what a great performance THE RIFFFS gave here in Malta (awesome gig that was) and we could give it a shot..so im guessing we will try a bit of Ska as well But i kinda read about that style and after sometime of freely practicing i managed to get the rhythm right...that is with a couple of D-shape chords

Quote by BigNose

BADOOM TCHH!

Make LOVE
*******NOT
*******WAR
Thanks man that link helped me a lot

Quote by BigNose

BADOOM TCHH!

Make LOVE
*******NOT
*******WAR
load up on teen angst. get dumped by your girlfriend and pretend to know about politics.
You'll hear galloping in a lot of old school metal and some punk, sometimes it's in metalcore and whatnot. Basically, it emulates the sounds of a horse's hooves. It's different from a triplet because the first note gets the most emphasis.
Quote by silvadolla
You'll hear galloping in a lot of old school metal and some punk, sometimes it's in metalcore and whatnot. Basically, it emulates the sounds of a horse's hooves. It's different from a triplet because the first note gets the most emphasis.

ooh kinda like The Trooper of Iron Maiden?

Quote by BigNose

BADOOM TCHH!

Make LOVE
*******NOT
*******WAR
Quote by Freesmalta
ooh kinda like The Trooper of Iron Maiden?

Yep, exactly.
you need not to practice any scales or technicalities to that sorta level when u want to play punk. all u need to know is how to do a power chord and lotsa BAD ATTITUDE like hate to authority or saving trees and squirrels or something alike and make a song out of it.
hehe ok ill keep that in mind :p Thanks for the posts guys

Quote by BigNose

BADOOM TCHH!

Make LOVE
*******NOT
*******WAR
right so...band practice is tomorrow.. and im screwed up(as usual) Due to my extreme luckyness that barges within me,my guitar is ,as i would say,FBROKEN...okay ill calm down..

Dont ask me what happened, but i was practicing the riff from young till i die when suddenly the low E string snapped, near the bridge pickup and the steel bar where the whammy is placed (dont know what its called) where it holds the string and keeps it tensioned kinda got loose and can move about (although it is held by the spring)..i dont remember this happening when changing strings..

Anyhow i managed to change the string, although now it has a sound i cannot describe..its not right..it is more tight and all.Well right now im playing with the tension from the bridge i think its called but with no use..

As a further note a few months ago i broke the whammy and the broken part was stuck so today i managed to get my dad to repair it thankfully..could that be it?Maybe some part of the bridge was damaged?

Im still getting a new one before this summer ends anyway because i cant keep on goin around with a behringer starter pack i guess..

EDIT:I have my doubts that the new string is Acoustic-Electric,i hope thats it

Quote by BigNose

BADOOM TCHH!

Make LOVE
*******NOT
*******WAR
Last edited by Freesmalta at Aug 17, 2008,
Ok so its been kinda a while since I posted here...mainly because of school and stuff...but hey things are going pretty well...We didnt meet again to practice after summer,but last week my friend called up and asked if i could come to a jam session.We are now rehearsing for a (small) upcoming gig

Quote by BigNose

BADOOM TCHH!

Make LOVE
*******NOT
*******WAR