Hi guys,
I've been lurking round these parts for a while but only just joined as I need help and advice about something.....

I've been playing quite a while, but got out of practice over the last couple of years, I recently started playing again (2-3 hours a day) and am better than I ever was. This has led me to want to upgrade my guitars, but I'm poor. So I was wondering in your opinion do you think it would be worth taking out the stock pickups on my Tremonti SE and replacing them with the EMG Zakk Wylde set (81 + 85)?

Oh, and just so you know I play mainly metal, Children of Bodom, Machine Head, In Flames, etc.

Cheers for your help
I've got the PRS Tremonti SE, with all the stock parts, strung with 10s and used for down tuned stuff (hence it being my main metal guitar) a PRS Santana SE, also all stock which I use for standard tuning stuff, strung with 9s. I play both through my Randall RG75 Valve Dynamic......If you think EMGs are a bad idea, do you have any other reccomendations?
From what I hear, the stock pickups in the PRS SE guitars aren't all that bad.

It may be worth looking at options for an amp upgrade, or better effects, most likely amp upgrade first.
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
I was thinking about an amp upgrade, but money is a serious issue (I'm a student) as is space (again because I'm a student)....I was hopefully trying to find a cheap(ish) way to improve my sound without too much cost......I only have about £200 to spend, which is about $400 but prices don't translate the same way
Quote by idiotbox919
I've got the PRS Tremonti SE, with all the stock parts, strung with 10s and used for down tuned stuff (hence it being my main metal guitar) a PRS Santana SE, also all stock which I use for standard tuning stuff, strung with 9s. I play both through my Randall RG75 Valve Dynamic......If you think EMGs are a bad idea, do you have any other reccomendations?

EMG's are like Marmite; you either love them or hate them. People love them since they give out that traditional heavy gain sound associated with loads of modern metal acts. On the other hand, people find that sound particularly sterile and boring.

That Randall amp, is that a valve amp or SS amp? EMG's really respond to valve amps.
Quote by idiotbox919
I was thinking about an amp upgrade, but money is a serious issue (I'm a student) as is space (again because I'm a student)....I was hopefully trying to find a cheap(ish) way to improve my sound without too much cost......I only have about £200 to spend, which is about $400 but prices don't translate the same way

You have PRS SE guitars, they're certainly not cheap and nasty guitars to start off with.

I would keep the cash, get more saved up and look at amps at a later date when you need louder and bigger.

The other option is effects, what are you running at the moment?
Quote by darkstar2466

I'm not 100% sure what the amp is, Randall just refer to it as "valve dynamic power" which I assume is some kind of hybrid. Either way, I'm quite sure it's not totally valve as I've had it a while and never had to change any valves or found a obvious way of doing that.....

And yeah, I know my guitars are nice and they are easily my most cherished posessions (along with my acoustic, semi acoustic and bass) but I've just heard people saying that what would amount to about a £150 upgrade would give me a big increase in tone, so understandably I was sceptical

And finally, with regards to effects, I don't have any, I used to have an old digitech muti-effects thing but it was awful so I sold it....got any advice?
Thanks for your help tonight guys, but I'm off to bed now (it's 1 in the morning here) so I will not respond to morning

If anyone has any more advice to give then feel free and thanks, but if not then thanks everyone for all your help and being so welcoming.....it's always the sign of a good forum when everyone is friendly off the bat, so thanks
I have a boss ME30, I find it exactly what I want.

Check a few pedals out yourself, also check out ebay. Try as many as you can to find out what sounds good to you.

It's totally personal if you go multi-effects or individual pedals, you'll have to work out what is best for you.
Quote by darkstar2466

cheers for all your help guys, just one more thing which is gonna make me seem like an idiot.........multi-effects with all the amp modelling and so on, you run them through the clean channel right? and then with stuff like a wah you just ran that into whichever?

Oh, and one more thing, last night I noticed that my amp doesn't seem to have a headphones out port, is it fine to just use the output that you would use for an external speaker cab? and if so, do I use 8 or 16 ohms?