Okay it's kinda hard to explain but i will try.

The problem i have is that i can't solo around the fretboard, as you see most people do when they are doing a solo. Okay so this is an example only.

E-|0-|--|--|0-|
B-|0-|--|--|0-|
G-|0-|--|0-|--|
D-|0-|--|0-|--|
A-|0-|--|0-|--|
E-|0-|--|--|0-|

Okay a regular minor pentatonic scale. The problem is, when im playing a scale, i can only play around that. I can't release myself from the scale placement thing and play wherever i want and it will still sound good (if you understand).

So right now the only thing im capable of doing is to play different scales up and down and improvise with these placements, but i want to take the next step and be able to know everything about where to go on the fretboard, so i wont just go up and down and up and down and solo based on the thing i posted up there.

I hope you guys will understand what i mean, this has been bothering me for a long while.

Thanks alot! Would love to get some helpful answers.
i understand you! however unfortuneatly it's cos im in the same boat as you

i know lots ofs scales but i can't improvise well with em

im hoping it's just something thatll come with time
I just throw in random notes and hope.

You'll just need to learn what scales fit, and where they are, the positions etc. It'll all work out, don't worry.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Phrasing? What's that? I think it would be fairly easier if someone could explain rather than tell me to google it.
Quote by Deagle-Eyes
HOw long have you both been playing?

I have only been playing a little over a year.
Learn the notes on the fretboard
Learn the scale formula as in the pattern of intervals
Put the two together and find the scale all over the fretboard.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
there are 5 different shapes of the minor pentatonic scale.
let's say you are using the scale in the key of A, the first shape finishes in the 8th fret low E string, the second shape starts on the 8th fret low E string.
basically where one finishes the other starts.
now let me show you the 5 shapes:

http://ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/scales/minor_pentatonic_scales.html
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
C U N T im FUcOnG oissssed
Quote by Skwisgar
The trip would reach its climax when you came across a character filling a pool via fapping and attempting to drown innocent people in it

Quote by Diet_coke_head
I ran up and started screaming rape because I knew she would never cheat on me.
**** learning scale shapes. Learn intervals. If you master intervals, you won't even need to memorize scale shapes.
Find a backing track for a song you like that suits a pentatonic scale well and try to come up with different progressions. Instead of just go from one end to an other, try to skip some notes in the same scale and learn simple patterns.

EDITED: And yes, learn the intervals, it helps A LOT! If you learn them you can probably make a solo out of any place on the fretboard within key!
My Gear
Electrics - Ibanez RG370DX
Acoustics - Takamine EG510SC, Victoria Classic
Pedals - Ibanez WD7, Marshall ED1, Digitech DF7, Boss AC3, Marshall RG1, Digitech XDD
Amplifiers - Laney HCM15R, Roland Micro Cube
Last edited by Rock Boy at Aug 12, 2008,
Quote by jesus2nd
C U N T im FUcOnG oissssed

yeah im confused too with your typing....
Quote by Vagabond21

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Thanks guys! I think you have cleared up most things for me now, so this rule apply to any scale? Or are everyone different?
this is something i heard elsewhere on this site, but i cant remember where...

but the idea was to learn a scale every 4 or 5 frets (i think it was 4)
eg learn the c major scale using open, 1st, 2nd, 3rd frets
once youve done that, learn it for the 1st,2nd,3rd,4th and then 2nd 3rd 4th n 5th... until you reach the 12th 13th 14th and 15th which is a repeart of the first scale an octave up

ill try and word this better if you dont understand
Quote by PsychoJeams
Thanks guys! I think you have cleared up most things for me now, so this rule apply to any scale? Or are everyone different?

all scales in any key.
Quote by Vagabond21

Quote by tremeloud

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Quote by PsychoJeams

oh and btw, to know in which key to use the minor pentatonic scale is this way

if the key of the song (or the chord progression) is minor, let's say Em, you play your scale on E.
if the key is a major, let's say G, you have to play it 1 and a half tone back, it would be on E.
Quote by Vagabond21

Quote by tremeloud

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
I just finished typing something similar in another thread so a bit of Cut and Paste then a few alterations to tailor it to your questions...

A great number of individual licks or phrases will stick to one pattern, maybe with the odd sliding up or down to a few notes in a neighboring pattern.

When you string a number of licks or phrases together you will start moving around the fretboard more using multiple patterns.

Sometimes when you have two phrases that are some distance apart on the fretboard you will just jump directly from one pattern to the distant pattern skipping all the patterns in between. This jump will create a strong contrast between the two phrases.

Other times you might link the two distant phrases together with an ascending or desceding run that moves through all the patterns between the two phrases. This creates a smoother transition between the two phrases.

When I refer to neighbouring patterns I mean two patterns right next to each other on the fretboard. Distant patterns means two patterns that are not right next to each other on the fretboard.

My suggestions
1. Learn and practice all the patterns in different places on the fretboard i.e. five patterns to cover one key over the entire fretboard. Create lots of different licks and phrases within each pattern.
2. Learn to link neighboring patterns together by creating some single phrases that contain a few notes from each pattern (sliding is a great linking tool).
3. Learn to link distant patterns. The best way to do this is to create some ascending and descending runs that can be used to move through 3, 4, 5, or more patterns. (Try some runs between distant patterns sticking to just one string as well as runs between distant patterns using all six strings and everything in between.)

Good Luck
Si