So what do I play during the vocal parts? The rhythm guitar is going off on chords, and the singer is singing. What do I play? For faster/rock songs, I can usually come up with some power chord centered riff, but I'm especially lost when it comes to slower songs. My main problem is with the slower songs, but I'm open to suggestions and pointers for both types of songs.

thanks
some fast hammer ons/pull offs in the background? like in Panteras Cemetery Gates..
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
I'd say you can do power chords for quick songs, or some variations of chords which sound good distorted (not only power chords).

For slower songs, I'd do some fills following the scale that suits the part you are playing.

Or you could arpeggio (play the chord note by note, instead of strumming) the chords your mate is playing.
try playing nothing...

or try playing something in the gaps that echoes the vocal line in some way

try doubling the vocal line in places... or try harmonizing the vocal line with double stops or something

try playing the exact same pattern as the rhythm guitar player... or try playing the same rhythm but with a different chord voicing (think of your CAGED variations)

work out what the song is ABOUT lyrically and try to represent THAT in music
If your rhythm guitarist is nailing some power chords, ever thought of arpegiating some triads over it?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
hm, yeah, i have thought of playing arpeggios. thanks for the suggestions, everyone. i will give them all a try.
Listen to Coheed and Cambria... regardless of how you feel about them they always have cool lead riffs goin on. especially in second stage turbine blade. mostly just repeat licks really high up, but it sounds good.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
theres only about a million things you could do, what people have already mentioned and then so much more.
Quote by z4twenny
theres only about a million things you could do, what people have already mentioned and then so much more.

oh man, i don't doubt that. hopefully i can take the suggestions from this thread and branch off from there. i'm still pretty new to guitar.
Quote by MjolnirMan
So what do I play during the vocal parts? The rhythm guitar is going off on chords, and the singer is singing. What do I play? For faster/rock songs, I can usually come up with some power chord centered riff, but I'm especially lost when it comes to slower songs. My main problem is with the slower songs, but I'm open to suggestions and pointers for both types of songs.

thanks
I know this is exactly what you dont want to hear but... anything you want.

Just use your ear to determine what sounds good under the singer and what doesnt.

You could study counterpoint so you dont have to blindy look for what sounds good, but counterpoint is extrememly broad and some of the rules arent really usefull for modern day contemporary.

Personally I like judas priest and iron maiden style riffs.
Quote by MjolnirMan

thanks

Well you can:

1) play nothing

2) play some arpeggios

3) play same as rhythm guitar

4) play something really close to rhythm guitar, but not exactly the same

5) come up with a riff

6) come up with a lick

7) play with delay and reverb

8) try something else
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Quote by inflatablefilth
try playing nothing...

or try playing something in the gaps that echoes the vocal line in some way

try doubling the vocal line in places... or try harmonizing the vocal line with double stops or something

try playing the exact same pattern as the rhythm guitar player... or try playing the same rhythm but with a different chord voicing (think of your CAGED variations)

work out what the song is ABOUT lyrically and try to represent THAT in music

+1 you have a rythem guitarist so you dont have to play anything. You play where its needed not the whole time. Make fills in pauses or make little accent licks during the vocals if it fits. The attitude that every instrument has to play the whole time is bad. Your part of a band think of it as a whole. Never force anything. Less can be more.