i'm recording onto a laptop, i know, not the smartest thing but i'm poor and it's all i have... anyways. this new laptop i have only records in mono, and sounds like crap when i plug the guitar into it, or run it from the amp to the laptop. it sounds way hot, fuzzy, and like i shoved a mic up my ass and ran up the stairs. the microphone volume on the laptop is turned way down, and it still hisses like a snake on PMS.

what i'm looking for is some info on any USB recording stuff, seeing as everything that runs through the mic input is mono. it only goes into the left ear, which is bad because i record two tracks, one left and one right. oh, and i dont have firewire, just usb.

i'm using sonar 7, and have used this same set up with an older laptop, and have had no problems. so any ideas?
Quote by SvnStringMaster
i'm recording onto a laptop, i know, not the smartest thing but i'm poor and it's all i have... anyways. this new laptop i have only records in mono, and sounds like crap when i plug the guitar into it, or run it from the amp to the laptop. it sounds way hot, fuzzy, and like i shoved a mic up my ass and ran up the stairs. the microphone volume on the laptop is turned way down, and it still hisses like a snake on PMS.

what i'm looking for is some info on any USB recording stuff, seeing as everything that runs through the mic input is mono. it only goes into the left ear, which is bad because i record two tracks, one left and one right. oh, and i dont have firewire, just usb.

i'm using sonar 7, and have used this same set up with an older laptop, and have had no problems. so any ideas?

Well, an interface is a good idea. Do you want to record the guitar's output or do you want to record with software amps? If it's the former or you are indecisive, get a good microphone (trusty SM57) and an Emu 0202. It'll be around $200 and you probably won't upgrade for a long time. If you are sure you want software amps, look into either multi-effects pedals with USB (Zoom g7.1ut, Line6 Pods, Boss GT6 and up) or Line6's Toneport GX, the cheapest interface you can snag. The nice part about getting a pedal is that you can use the sounds live later with a Tech 21 Power Engine, and carrying that is much less than an amp head and a 4x12.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Couple of things:

1. Most sources are only recorded in mono. The effect of stereo is achieved by panning those mono sources within the sound field. True stereo recording comes from using two mics. Most of what we hear on the radio, and conceptualize as 'stereo' is, in fact, multiple mono.

2. The excessive hiss and buzzing sound is the result of two things: 1. Direct outs from an amp almost always suck for recording. 2. The number one mistake of beginning recordings of guitar is using too much gain. You will be surprised at how little gain you need in recording, compared to playing live, and if you get it right, you will be surprised at how thick and punchy a guitar sound you can get with that little gain.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
yeah i screwed with the gain and all that, it sounds fine when i use the amp output for headphones, but when i go through the computer, it's poopy, and one speaker. if fast fingers mentioned the line 6, like i asked, then i think it's a solid bet.

Quote by MV4824
I don't want to sound like an assface.. but the people that work at Guitar Center are normally "YA DUDE LET'S PLAY SOME GUNS AND ROSES MAN!"

very true, yesterday was my first time in one, and i got that vibe.